Connect to Wi-Fi - How the dealers do it

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibbo

Hi All

Just thought I would share this.
I was unable to get the app on my phone to connect to the car no matter what I tried.
My car went i for an MOT today and I asked them to reset it and issue a new pass code which they did.
I did say that I thought it unlikely that it will work so the nice lady that I was dealing with called a colleague over and asked him to see if he could connect it. He did it in less than a minute :shock:

I know a lot of us have been struggling with the connection so this is what he did:

Got in the car and closed the doors.
Put the car into accessory mode.
Put the hazard's on (not in the instructions!)
Did the on-off bit with the key fob.
Went into the phones Wi-Fi settings, tapped the correct ID (SSID) and entered the passcode (again not in the instructions)
Then went into the app and followed the instructions.
Connected first time.

Hope this helps others as I found it to be a very frustrating process.

:D

AndyInOz said:
By putting the hazards on, the dealer de-registered any devices that had been registered to the car.

He did not press the on/off 10 times so it was not the deregister process.
I had already done that. He just did the 5 times to register.

The main reason that the app can be set up at the dealer and not at a person's home, is that the person's device doesn't auto-connect to their home wifi half-way through the process.

AndyInOz said:
The main reason that the app can be set up at the dealer and not at a person's home, is that the person's device doesn't auto-connect to their home wifi half-way through the process.

Tried mine in the middle of nowhere where the car was the only visible Wi-Fi SSID and it still would not work.

For some reason I can only get One iPhone to work at a time for some reason it will not allow me to connect Two iPhone, I have an iPhone 6 and a new iPhone SE, however I must admit the iPhone SE works so much better than the iPhone 6

Just to say thanks to the OP for describing what worked for the dealer. Interesting variation on FaqE

Sadly for me, still resulted in an error 2101

Just to say thanks to the OP for describing what worked for the dealer. Interesting variation on FaqE

Sadly for me, still resulted in an error 2101
Unfortunately, the app stopped working since July of 2023. I keep getting Error 2101.

Dealership tells me that this issues is effecting Canada and the USA.

Come on Mitsubishi, FIX THIS!!!!

Just a little update, I am not sure why but the app can no longer switch wi-fi networks automatically even though it looks like it is trying.
If you manually switch to the cars SSID before opening the app it should still work.

Having just replaced the battery on my 2019, getting the app to connect again was a PITA. Did the reset steps and then connected to the WiFi and then got the app to connect from my tablet. Issue is that once connected and sync'd, it then won't communicate further to send any setting changes etc. Was giving an error 2201.

My phone that had been connected since I first got the car, just won't reconnect again for some reason and I noted that google had disabled permissions since I'd not used that app in a while.

The tablet tho now does seem to be talking to the car OK having come back indoors and had a quick play while warming up with a coffee, neighbours might have been wondering about the empty car turning its lights on/off just now :)

I wonder if I'd set the WiFi connection up incorrectly, WEP or WPA2 etc so might have another try with the phone later on, esp since I don't carry the tablet around normally unless on a work or family trip.

Managed to get the phone (android) to now connect up too, after a full uninstall and reinstall of the app :)

It does seem to help to connect to the SSID before trying to get the app to connect. WPA2 for those needing to do this.

What I did was:
  1. close drivers door
  2. ACC
  3. within 10sec lock/unlock 5 times
  4. Go into WiFi settings and connect to the SSID (I set mine to not auto-connect)
  5. When you fire up the app it'll pop up a message saying it needs to temporarily connect and should offer a list of SSID's or just the REMOTExxxx one, tap on the SSID.
  6. App should then connect and you then give it the SSID password.
  7. play with the settings as desired.
After that, it seems to connect and as expected no more need for the SSID password, just find tho that it will ask about temporarily connecting, needing you to tap on the appropriate SSID.

I wonder if some of these issues has been down to google locking down access to some settings/devices. I use the Profile Scheduler+ app and its no longer able to alter settings it used to for WiFi etc. Google also disabling app permissions if not used in a while likely didn't help either.

I've always manually selected the car network before starting the app (I'm on version 1) and have no problems. Modern Android (and, I assume, Apple) phones complain that there's no Internet connection and offer to switch to another network, which I have to manually decline.

Managed to get the phone (android) to now connect up too, after a full uninstall and reinstall of the app :)

It does seem to help to connect to the SSID before trying to get the app to connect. WPA2 for those needing to do this.

What I did was:
  1. close drivers door
  2. ACC
  3. within 10sec lock/unlock 5 times
  4. Go into WiFi settings and connect to the SSID (I set mine to not auto-connect)
  5. When you fire up the app it'll pop up a message saying it needs to temporarily connect and should offer a list of SSID's or just the REMOTExxxx one, tap on the SSID.
  6. App should then connect and you then give it the SSID password.
  7. play with the settings as desired.
After that, it seems to connect and as expected no more need for the SSID password, just find tho that it will ask about temporarily connecting, needing you to tap on the appropriate SSID.

I wonder if some of these issues has been down to google locking down access to some settings/devices. I use the Profile Scheduler+ app and its no longer able to alter settings it used to for WiFi etc. Google also disabling app permissions if not used in a while likely didn't help either.
Thanks for posting this. I'd been locked out of my app for a year after getting a new phone and was finally able to get back in thanks to your instructions. It's essential for pre-heating now that we're in the winter in the UK, especially for a short 5 mile commute like I have.

Weird one though. I had charging timers set from the in car display before connecting the app. After connecting to the app and plugging my car in, it charged straight away when it should have been outside of the charging schedule. On looking at the app, no timers were set. So connecting the app seems to have overridden the in car settings.

Back