Strange - During Charging the heater runs full blast until I open the doors

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrPete

2018 Mits Outlander PHEV with about 50k miles. Located in suburban Chicago, bought originally in San Diego CA - Labor day 2018.

About 2 months ago I noticed that sometimes (not always) during charge only, the heater will be running at full blast until such time as I open the door. I noticed this when, after I pulled into the garage, plugged it in, went into the house for an hour or so, and then came back to the garage and notice that the car was making a whirring sound like a a motor was running, and the windows were fogged over on the inside. I open the door and the whirring shut off immediately and it was very hot inside - 90F +. I closed the door and it did not restart the whirring and everything seemed typical/normal.

Does anyone know of this issue? is it normal or something I should check into? I don't remember this happening prior to a few months ago even in the heat of SoCal.

Thanks
Joel

Newbie here, so I could be talking a load of xxxxxxx.
Is it possible that somehow the cabin pre-heat option has been set on the phone App? It may only kick in if set at a high temperature, so doesnt happen every time.

I'm one of the owners that has been caught by 'pre-heat' settings.

Either the previous owner, or the dealership had set my car to pre-heat twice per day, every day.

I only discovered this because I happened to go out to the car one evening, while it was happening.

Previously I'd been concerned by how much power the battery was using when the car was sitting parked.

So, check via the app or the head unit (if you have one) to see if there are any timer settings for pre-heating.

Back