Parking Sensors

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrie1956

I have a 2019 Jura. In hot weather, the parking sensors (beepers) have a tendency to beep at the slightest thing and, I'm pretty sure, at NOTHING AT ALL!! I can be sat at lights, with nothing moving in the near vicinity, and she'll beep. There is a button which shows which sensor is active and which (apparently) silences the beep, but only until the sensor senses another "obstacle". Even if nothing has moved!! So she'll beep again.
Much less fussy in normal weather. I could almost live with it. But, if we get an Indian Summer or come next year, I'm going to go crazy, with the beeping.
Has anyone else found them to be so fussy? Has anyone else found a solution, other than to disconnect the damned things?

Unfortunately, warranty is not an option. I bought car 2nd hand and am unable to prove that the service record is complete. Also, my best guess is that the sensors were fitted by the original dealer, but not by the manufacturer. So, I hope that they are a legit piece of kit (maybe even Mitsu approved!!), but I have no legal comeback on anyone other than the 2nd hand dealer and he's not very interested. *Surprise*

You shouldn't need to "prove" anything! Given the complexity of the car, only main dealers would run the risk of even opening the bonnet. One of the points of having dealers service the car is that they log the results with Mitsu HQ. So, they are the ones who have to "prove" the service record in any dispute - not you! :?

Greendwarf,
I wish it were/hope it IS that simple. This is going to take us a little off topic, but here goes. I bought the car in Nov 2nd hand, 18 months old (registered May 2019), from a Citroen main dealer, Evans Halshaw. Maybe they had it as a trade in? In any event, there is no proof that the first year service was done, at the correct time. Evans Halshaw did a "service", in November, but that was 6 months late AND they used the wrong grade of oil - 0W30 i/o 5W30. My local main Mitsu dealer tell me that these two facts MIGHT invalidate a warranty claim. It would depend what the claim was for. If it was clear that the "fault" was clearly unrelated to the erroneous servicing, then they might uphold my claim. I see the logic of that. If the back wheel falls off, you can't blame the engine oil. However, this same main dealer has checked the records and can see that the beepers were not factory fitted.
So, I have beepers that drive me nuts. I have a 2nd hand car dealer who is refusing to provide me with a warranty, to replace the one that they f*#ked up - and the service record book is missing. It's a good job I love the car. This would be an awful mess otherwise!! ;)

That is a real problem - a car of this complexity should only be bought from an authorized dealer. However, as parking sensors have nothing to do with service intervals, you might still have a legal claim. As far as I am aware there are no PHEVs that did not have parking sensors from new (although they are normally not ex factory, but fitted locally). On the bright side: it might just be a matter of reloading the relevant firmware or replacing a sensor.
In general, if the car was sold to you as "factory guaranty" the seller must make good on that claim. You still have three years coming. What if something expensive breaks down? A rare occurrence on these cars, but still... I would take legal advice if I were you.

If it helps, I purchased my mitsy from a main dealer at 6 months old with the first service being carried out by Halfords! Since then it has been in the main dealers for warranty work with no issues.

Back