Battery Life

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirlu10ent

Is there any known information about The Outlander PHEV plug in systems battery life and cycle duration, during towning in low outside temperatures?

According to the official Mitsubishi claims, the Outlander PHEV can work on battery power for around 37 miles whereas the life cycle of battery is about 100,000 miles. Thanks to the 12kWh battery pack, the weather conditions do not influence the car tremendously.

Is it true that frequent CHAdeMO - charging ( i.e. rapid charging) will shorten battery life? And how often is frequent?

Yes, fast charging is bad for any battery. Something Tesla owners who regularly use superchargers will find out soon enough. Mitsubishi warns owners about frequent fast charging.

saifseyal said:
According to the official Mitsubishi claims, the Outlander PHEV can work on battery power for around 37 miles whereas the life cycle of battery is about 100,000 miles. Thanks to the 12kWh battery pack, the weather conditions do not influence the car tremendously.
But in practice the extra power drain by the heater, AC , lights, rear screen heater etc. will impact the endurance in EV drive considerably, as will the loss of capacity at low temperatures.
Even if they are fed by the 12 V battery, that battery itself is being topped up from the main battery.

In winter I will get 25-35 Km out of a charge, in summer 40-45. Reaching the specified 52 Km can be done, but only by very careful driving techniques including slipstreaming trucks and switching off all auxiliary power drain sources. In real life you will never make it.

We are in winter now in Australia and I have been driving in temperatures around 5 deg C.
I am frequently driving over 50 Km on one charge and as much as 60 Km sometimes.

When cold I am using the heated seats and A/C to clear the windows occasionally.

phev.jpg

We are in winter now in Australia and I have been driving in temperatures around 5 deg C.
I am frequently driving over 50 Km on one charge and as much as 60 Km sometimes.

That's really encouraging :D

Protunelights said:

When cold I am using the heated seats and A/C to clear the windows occasionally.

phev.jpg
A lot depends on traffic.If you can drive calmly and at a constant speed that will extend the range quite a bit. I live in an urban area - come to think of it nearly all our country is an urban area- so I have to stop and start a traffic lights frequently, other vehicles will force acceration-deceleration driving, etc.

Protunelights said:

phev.jpg

Hi Protunelights, can you provide some more info of where you are? I live in Hobart, well a bit out to be honest, and am wondering what my 'real world' EV range will be and what I could squeeze out of it if need be...

thegurio said:
Protunelights said:

phev.jpg

Hi Protunelights, can you provide some more info of where you are? I live in Hobart, well a bit out to be honest, and am wondering what my 'real world' EV range will be and what I could squeeze out of it if need be...

I live in Gippsland Victoria in the hills near Warragul. My commute each day consists of a 50km round trip to work travelling over some elevation changes of about 400 mts high.
The trip travels through three towns of 60km/hr with some highway 80-100km/hr.

Most days I drive gently to maximise range. This requires gentle acceleration and coasting to intersections using the regen to deaccelerate only braking to become stationary.
A few days I have used a higher performance, (100-120 kph), which drops ev range to about 45 Kms requiring the hybrid mode to start for the last few Kms.

On a recent longer trip over hilly terrain of about 120 km I averaged around 5.5 lt/100km once the battery was depleted and an overall 2.5 lt/100km, excellent!

So far I have travelled 1400km and have never been to a petrol station as the dealer filled the vehicle before I picked it up. I hoping to travel 2000km before needing to fill up!

Protunelights said:
thegurio said:
Protunelights said:

phev.jpg

I live in Gippsland Victoria in the hills near Warragul. My commute each day consists of a 50km round trip to work travelling over some elevation changes of about 400 mts high.
The trip travels through three towns of 60km/hr with some highway 80-100km/hr.

Most days I drive gently to maximise range. This requires gentle acceleration and coasting to intersections using the regen to deaccelerate only braking to become stationary.
A few days I have used a higher performance, (100-120 kph), which drops ev range to about 45 Kms requiring the hybrid mode to start for the last few Kms.

On a recent longer trip over hilly terrain of about 120 km I averaged around 5.5 lt/100km once the battery was depleted and an overall 2.5 lt/100km, excellent!

So far I have travelled 1400km and have never been to a petrol station as the dealer filled the vehicle before I picked it up. I hoping to travel 2000km before needing to fill up!

That is excellent news! That sounds pretty close to my normal commute, so if I can do that it's a goer and I'll be stoked! Not that I want to drive like a grandpa, but it is addictive to see those numbers drop when it all comes down to it.. And for the premium over the Camry Hybrid, it's going to need to be...

Back