Outlander PHEV plugin high temperature standings

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirlu10ent

I have read some information on the Outlander PHEV plugin system that Cold does not tend to affect battery life, it just lowers the energy level and thus range. However this is a temporary condition that does not permanently affect the battery life. Hot climates however can permanently damage the lithium ion cells and cause premature battery degradation. How dentrimental is the damage if you live in an area where it is hot year round. Would you have to replace the battery prematurely?

Several Nissan Leafs in Arizona are experiencing this and having their range reduced to as little as 60% of new in just one year. If you had bought a Leaf and your commute was over 60% of your range, you'd be screwed.

http://jalopnik.com/5974593/nissans-in-hot-water-with-leaf-owners-in-hot+ass-arizona

Sirlu10ent said:
I have read some information on the Outlander PHEV plugin system that Cold does not tend to affect battery life, it just lowers the energy level and thus range. However this is a temporary condition that does not permanently affect the battery life. Hot climates however can permanently damage the lithium ion cells and cause premature battery degradation. How dentrimental is the damage if you live in an area where it is hot year round. Would you have to replace the battery prematurely?

probably, but you should not worry about it too much because in the next five to ten years the battery quality is going to go up so much that you will find yourself wanting to change to a better battery anyway.

not only will the life expectancy of a battery go through the roof but the capacity and durability is also increasing at a rapid pace...

Dannyboy said:
Sirlu10ent said:

probably, but you should not worry about it too much because in the next five to ten years the battery quality is going to go up so much that you will find yourself wanting to change to a better battery anyway.

not only will the life expectancy of a battery go through the roof but the capacity and durability is also increasing at a rapid pace...

sure but that doesn't mean he shouldn't look into some of the features of the battery that he is getting now, I mean this a very important aspect of buying an EV and even though he will have the opportunity to upgrade the battery that doesn't mean he will need to.

Dannyboy said:
Sirlu10ent said:

It is a nice thought and I hope you are right, but as I understand it, Toyota Prius owners with cars around 10+ years old are starting to have to replace their battery packs and despite a decade of technological advance, the battery pack is still the same old Ni-MH chemistry with the same old capacity.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the US Outlander PHEV uses Toshiba SCiB batteries, which have a longer service AND charge faster. Mits does use those in the MiEV. But probably Mits will just be the same GS Yuasa batteries used in the other markets for the Outlander PHEVs.

ActionableMango said:
Dannyboy said:
Sirlu10ent said:

It is a nice thought and I hope you are right, but as I understand it, Toyota Prius owners with cars around 10+ years old are starting to have to replace their battery packs and despite a decade of technological advance, the battery pack is still the same old Ni-MH chemistry with the same old capacity.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope the US Outlander PHEV uses Toshiba SCiB batteries, which have a longer service AND charge faster. Mits does use those in the MiEV. But probably Mits will just be the same GS Yuasa batteries used in the other markets for the Outlander PHEVs.

I think Toyota Prius is a somewhat different story exactly because they use the battery pack was Ni-MH type and not Li-On which are going to drive the battery life and capacity forward in the next decade (until the next big thing arrives, probably graphene), so a switch for Mitsubishi Outlander will be easier because I'm sure they standardized the vehicle for the aforementioned technology.

So far from what I've read in Outlander PHEV Forum, the car is pretty tough and can take on extreme temperatures.

BobMarin said:
How much would it cost to change a battery on Mitsubishi Outlander.

1) We don't even know how much the vehicle itself costs yet, much less cost for parts.
2) Even if we had a cost, you won't have to replace it for many years and we don't know what the cost will be at that time. For example, Prius battery pack replacement was estimated around $10,000 when new and everyone was scared about paying that much 10 years down the road. But now 15 years have gone by and the price has come down to $2500-$4000. If you consider inflation, the real price drop is even more significant than it looks.

Lithium ion battery prices are approaching ~$200 per kWh. Just a few years ago they were $500 per kWh.

We know from a Dutch article that the Outlander PHEV battery is designed for two complete recharges every day for a period of 10 years. It will be interesting to see what the battery warranty is. Mitsubishi's MiEV battery warranty is 8 years/100k miles.

ActionableMango said:
BobMarin said:

1) We don't even know how much the vehicle itself costs yet, much less cost for parts.
2) Even if we had a cost, you won't have to replace it for many years and we don't know what the cost will be at that time. For example, Prius battery pack replacement was estimated around $10,000 when new and everyone was scared about paying that much 10 years down the road. But now 15 years have gone by and the price has come down to $2500-$4000. If you consider inflation, the real price drop is even more significant than it looks.

Lithium ion battery prices are approaching ~$200 per kWh. Just a few years ago they were $500 per kWh.

We know from a Dutch article that the Outlander PHEV battery is designed for two complete recharges every day for a period of 10 years. It will be interesting to see what the battery warranty is. Mitsubishi's MiEV battery warranty is 8 years/100k miles.

It has been reported that the US price of the Mitsubishi Outlander will probably be just under 40 k.

ActionableMango said:
BobMarin said:

You maybe don't know the price of the Outlander itself(probably 40k as Dannyboy said) but we can know the battery price most definitely. I mean't what would the price be to change the battery in case of a malfunction, which I see you have answered. Thx

Back