Electric Motor output

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirlu10ent

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plugin system has two motors front and rear. Does anyone know what the total horseower output is from the two motors?

I think it has a 117 hp engine.

But the Otlander PHEV is rarely going to be driven purely on gas so this is definitely not a realistic picture when it comes to the total horsepower numbers that Outlander can bring to the table.

The (preliminary) technical specifications reveal:
The Outlander PHEV has a 60 kW (~80 HP) electric motor both front and rear, so 160 horsepower in total.
Together with the 89kW (~120 HP) internal combustion engine (ICE) total power would be 280 horsepower (210 kW).
This amount of power would allow for a top speed far above 200 km/h, had the car not been electronically limited to 170 km/h.
This makes a lot of sense: Once the battery runs out, the power has to come entirely from the ICE. A vehicle like this would need about 90 kW to drive at 170 km/h, so no power will be available to drive the generator. At these speeds environmental benefits (the justification for this type of car) are very limited!
At lower speeds the power generated by the 70 kW generator (driven by the engine, which then runs at a better efficiency) will be divided between the electric motors (at 120 km/h they will need 25-30 kW) and recharging the battery. Once the battery has been charged the ICE may stop running, and the car will be able to run another 40-50 electric km's.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.nl/upl...Contents/Outlander PHEV 8 Leaflet low pix.pdf

case said:
The Outlander PHEV has a 60 kW (~80 HP) electric motor both front and rear, so 160 horsepower in total.
Together with the 89kW (~120 HP) internal combustion engine (ICE) total power would be 280 horsepower (210 kW).

The otherwise excellent part of the article deleted.

My Mitsu dealer told that these three motors are never in use together to drive the wheels.

Looking into the videos in the net you can see that there is not a scenario where to power ouput would be directed to the wheels from every motor. You can either have 60 kW + 60 kW from the electric motors OR you can get 89 Kw from ICE for the front wheels and 60 kW from the rear electric motor, bringing up the total power of 149 kW ~200 hp.

This makes sense, now as _I_ would fancy using the full power from all 3 motors, but the front drivetrain should be made to withstand the power of 200 hp, and that would be expensive and - to be honest - quite nervewrecking to have that kind of power on front wheels. And yet being more honest. Oulander PHEV will not be your average sportscar - it is supposed to be easy to drive and environmental.

@200 hp, this car will be the least powerful from my fleet. If it were 280 hp, it would notch up 2 positions, being second... In fuel economy, well ... it will be a whole new world :lol:

Garrett said:
case said:

The otherwise excellent part of the article deleted.

My Mitsu dealer told that these three motors are never in use together to drive the wheels.

Looking into the videos in the net you can see that there is not a scenario where to power ouput would be directed to the wheels from every motor. You can either have 60 kW + 60 kW from the electric motors OR you can get 89 Kw from ICE for the front wheels and 60 kW from the rear electric motor, bringing up the total power of 149 kW ~200 hp.

This makes sense, now as _I_ would fancy using the full power from all 3 motors, but the front drivetrain should be made to withstand the power of 200 hp, and that would be expensive and - to be honest - quite nervewrecking to have that kind of power on front wheels. And yet being more honest. Oulander PHEV will not be your average sportscar - it is supposed to be easy to drive and environmental.

@200 hp, this car will be the least powerful from my fleet. If it were 280 hp, it would notch up 2 positions, being second... In fuel economy, well ... it will be a whole new world :lol:

That is interesting because I can already see that there are going to be a lot of "adjustments" from the guys who have the "know how" to make Outlander a beast...

I wonder what would be the Outlanders numbers if all the 3 motors would be running simultaneously...

Back