Manual drive-mode selection?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

case

From the folder I understand that it's not possible to manually select drive mode.
Two buttons allow for (extra) charging and for saving battery power.
I would have liked a 3rd button for locking full electric mode (even below 30% battery capacity). In that way you would be able to 'empty' the battery upon reaching a charging point, this would enable even more electric km's, and fewer stops for refueling.

As I understood it the Outlander will have a one key with which you can select hybrid or electric mode, so there is no worries that you won't be able to freely switch between driving modes on the go.

If this is not the case the Mitsubishi is making a huge mistake, but I don't think anybody would make such a rookie mistake

Dannyboy said:
As I understood it the Outlander will have a one key with which you can select hybrid or electric mode, so there is no worries that you won't be able to freely switch between driving modes on the go.

If this is not the case the Mitsubishi is making a huge mistake, but I don't think anybody would make such a rookie mistake

I was just browsing through the multiple videos of the PHEV and realised that in few pictures you can actually see the gear lever. On the gear level positions are printed as R N D and B. So selecting Pure EV mode would be sticking the gear to B (Battery). Right?

I think the Pure EV mode has to be in a car like this, when few old city centres or holiday resorts (ie. Zermatt) are only allowing EV to enter.

I've been taking another look at the photographs of the dashboard and the pictures in the Japanese manual. I noticed the presence of an 'ECO' button and the display showing a 'LOCK'-status on the EV-mode, so there must be a way to force EV mode. :D

case said:
I've been taking another look at the photographs of the dashboard and the pictures in the Japanese manual. I noticed the presence of an 'ECO' button and the display showing a 'LOCK'-status on the EV-mode, so there must be a way to force EV mode. :D

I'm not sure if there even is a PHEV that doesn't have that option, it would certainly be a detrimental move by Mitsubishi had they done such a thing.

I think that for Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV there should be Pure EV mode incorporated. I am not sure but there is a button that is used for switching hybrid and electric modes. However, I can’t be confident about that.

The PHEV is now being delivered to customers in the Netherlands. As mine is scheduled around Christmas, I have made regular visits to the dealer to make sure it will be here before year's end. On one of these visits I had the opportunity to make a test drive, which was very,very nice.. :D :D .
There is however no manual selection option to stay in EV mode. Only by selecting ECO, switching the airconditioning off, selecting a temperature close to outside (so the heating stays off) and keeping your right foot under control, you will most of the time be able to prevent the ICE from running. :(

case said:
The PHEV is now being delivered to customers in the Netherlands. As mine is scheduled around Christmas, I have made regular visits to the dealer to make sure it will be here before year's end. On one of these visits I had the opportunity to make a test drive, which was very,very nice.. :D :D .
There is however no manual selection option to stay in EV mode. Only by selecting ECO, switching the airconditioning off, selecting a temperature close to outside (so the heating stays off) and keeping your right foot under control, you will most of the time be able to prevent the ICE from running. :(

That's really rubbish. Did you actually ask if that was the same across all ranges of Outlander PHEV?

apyds said:
case said:

That's really rubbish. Did you actually ask if that was the same across all ranges of Outlander PHEV?

No, didn't need to. The drive system is the same throughout the range.
The only difference in the Dutch trim levels is the two top versions having an electric heater. The simpler versions lack this, and rely on the ICE for cabin heating.

Case - any update on your Outlander PHEV? You said it was scheduled for around Christmas. Did you get it!?

Hi,

After a testdrive with the PHEV, and after reading some technical stuff, i can say that the system is very logical, and you can choose whatever you need.

The car starts as a full electrical car, just using the battery and the electrical motors.
Only when you need more power, the fuel engine engages (first as a generator, later possibly as a direct drive).

There is really no need to select between El and non-el.

Altough, you have 2 selections possible: "save" and "charge".

In save mode, the battery is kept on high level, and the power comes from the fuel engine (as generator to the electrical motors, or directly). Here you can choose to keep battery power for a later moment (driving in town where it is more economical logical to drive electrical).

In charge mode, the fuel engine is used to load the battery to 80%. Not the best use of fuel, but possible.

Instead of calling it "rubish", I would say it is a genious technical system to use the maximum of electrical energy, without giving up the dynamics of driving.

By the way ... I ordered my PHEV.

Yes, got it! I picked it up on the 21st. After the car dealer replaced one of the tires and balanced the wheels again, the ride has become smoother; I have to go back once more for this, I suspect at least one of the tires has a flat spot (The car stood on a ship for 5 weeks).
I have had no previous experience with electric drive, and have always driven cars with manual gearbox. So for me it's a very different type of car, that very much invites me to drive as quiet/economic as possible. For now I'm trying to figure out which driving modes work best under different circumstances. I haven't used the 'charge' mode yet, but I have put the car on 'save' a few times on the highway, releasing this mode in time to end up on my doorstep with an empty battery. I have been able to fully charge four times now and I have driven about 600 km's (370 miles). The petrol tank is approaching empty. The real mileage will very much depend on the ability to regularly charge, and the length of the individual drives.
Once the tires are OK, I expect to become a very happy driver.

case said:
Yes, got it! I picked it up on the 21st. After the car dealer replaced one of the tires and balanced the wheels again, the ride has become smoother; I have to go back once more for this, I suspect at least one of the tires has a flat spot (The car stood on a ship for 5 weeks).
I have had no previous experience with electric drive, and have always driven cars with manual gearbox. So for me it's a very different type of car, that very much invites me to drive as quiet/economic as possible. For now I'm trying to figure out which driving modes work best under different circumstances. I haven't used the 'charge' mode yet, but I have put the car on 'save' a few times on the highway, releasing this mode in time to end up on my doorstep with an empty battery. I have been able to fully charge four times now and I have driven about 600 km's (370 miles). The petrol tank is approaching empty. The real mileage will very much depend on the ability to regularly charge, and the length of the individual drives.
Once the tires are OK, I expect to become a very happy driver.

Congratulations! I can't wait for when mine will be available...
In my experience, if tires have a flat spot they will usually round out again after driving on them for a while. 5 weeks of sitting still isn't really too long and modern tire construction should be able to handle it without issue.

Anyhow, glad to hear you are liking your Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, and welcome to the forum!

Senappel said:
Altough, you have 2 selections possible: "save" and "charge".

In save mode, the battery is kept on high level, and the power comes from the fuel engine (as generator to the electrical motors, or directly). Here you can choose to keep battery power for a later moment (driving in town where it is more economical logical to drive electrical).

In charge mode, the fuel engine is used to load the battery to 80%. Not the best use of fuel, but possible.

Instead of calling it "rubish", I would say it is a genious technical system to use the maximum of electrical energy, without giving up the dynamics of driving.

By the way ... I ordered my PHEV.

That is basically the same programming as the Chevy Volt. You have HOLD mode (Save) and Mountain Mode (Charge). Although in the Volt, Mountain will only let you charge up to about 40%. This allows you to ensure you have plenty of power in reserve should you have to climb up a mountain.

I'm really hoping the PHEV is available state side by the time my Volt lease is up. I would love to upgrade to something a little bigger and with some towing capacity.

johnelk said:
Case - any update on your Outlander PHEV? You said it was scheduled for around Christmas. Did you get it!?

Sorry, this is the case as case said. :-(

The only way to be in pure EV is to switch the heating (climate control) off and keep the your gas pedal on the green zone.

You cannot select Pure-EV mode. Ever. No. You can't.

In Finland all cars ar equipped with electric heating capability, but the car still starts the ICE in freezing temperatures and worst cases (-20 degrees Celcius) runs on gas about 20 km. No Ev driving here.. People are complaining to distributors and importer, but what can they do?

Garrett said:
johnelk said:

Sorry, this is the case as case said. :-(

The only way to be in pure EV is to switch the heating (climate control) off and keep the your gas pedal on the green zone.

You cannot select Pure-EV mode. Ever. No. You can't.

In Finland all cars ar equipped with electric heating capability, but the car still starts the ICE in freezing temperatures and worst cases (-20 degrees Celcius) runs on gas about 20 km. No Ev driving here.. People are complaining to distributors and importer, but what can they do?

At what temperature does it force you to use gas?
I have a Chevy Volt and it performs in a similar fashion related to heat. You have electric heat down to 35F or 15F (depending on your preference). Below that it forces the gas engine to run periodically.
When the temperature is below freezing, it's really not feasible to use just electricity from the battery for heat. You would probably burn through your whole battery in about 10 miles. At 0F I typically burn less than .1 gallons in my Volt when the temp is around 0F.

How much can you actually accelerate without the gas engine starting? Are you forced to stay pretty slow? That is one of the best things about the Volt, is that you have 100% power on pure EV.

What if the car is heated before start, using power from an outlet. Does it still use the ICE as much as you describe?

No it does not. You can pre-heat it by timer or remote control from the plugged-in power and it will run shorter, if at all.

zartash said:
I think that for Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV there should be Pure EV mode incorporated. I am not sure but there is a button that is used for switching hybrid and electric modes. However, I can’t be confident about that.
Mitsubishi did not set out to make this a purely electric vehicle - they tried -rather successfully imo- to build a plug-in hybrid that would be as close to a “ normal “ car in driving experience as possible, with the advantages of an electric drivetrain added.
Thus the switching between modes is completely done in the background, with the two buttons - drive and save- only changing the emphasis.

jaapv said:
No it does not. You can pre-heat it by timer or remote control from the plugged-in power and it will run shorter, if at all.

Oh, yes it does... On three occasions - where the outside temperature had been below -15 Centigrade, I have had EV range showing "---" - with full battery. So the engine is running constantly (shutting down on deceleration), but the car refuses to drive electric at all. The power needle does go further than 60kW, but not upto full 120kW (three o'clock) I think I am getting 100-110 kW on full throttle. No errors showing. After 5 km driving, shutting down for few minutes and starting - voila - EV range 17km with 5/6 of a battery. Still runs periodically ICE even when climate off or set to 15,5C inside temp. Also drove 40km on Friday with EV range "---" all the way. Battery 2/3 full on arrival. Fuel consumption near 10L/100km.

Back