Enquiry

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nahuelkond

Hello everyone!
I'm a newbie kn the ev world but a few days ago a friend gave my his outlander PHEV for a test drive and I am completely in love with the idea of having one
For what I've seen and my budget I can stretch to 2013 models with 60 to 80 k kmts at around 25000 nzd

With that in mind my daily commute is 26 kmts with a few hills but nothing major so in theory i should be able to do it always 100% EV?

I've read that Mitsubishi UK offers 8 years warranty or 100000 miles (1600000 kmts) so, doing some math if I buy a 60000 kmts and do another 100000 kmts I would just reach what's on warranty (of course the 8 years would be already long expired)

100000 kmts in my current car is 10000 lts at 2,4 dls per litter would save me around 24000 nzd wich is mostly what I'm paying for the car

Now comes the questions:

1) until how many kmts is the battery reliable? I don't mind loosing a few kmts range with battery degradation but does it get so bad to the point that the car won't run anymore with an exhausted battery or in worst case will still work as a normal hybrid with small battery like a Prius?

2) how many more services are needed after the 60k mark and how much do they cost?

3) is there any REALLY good improvement in newer models? I could expend a bit more if there anything significantly better

4) where do I get the watchdog Hardware? Is it easy to connect that no owner should say no to do it before buying?

Any other help or suggestion is warmly welcome

Cheers!

1. A 25 km commute should be well within the capability of a car of this age in general, but the hills, driving speed and driving style are the limiting factor. A steep climb, high-speed motorway run or heavy right foot can exhaust a battery pretty quickly, not to mention things like outside temperature, Air-conditioning use, headwinds, etc.
2. Should the worst come to the worst with the battery the car will turn into a hybrid with a few km of pure EV.
3. The car needs service (assuming you are in Europe) every 20.000 km or every year. That will not end.
4. There is no need to use Watchdog at all, it is just a nice tool for owners who want to keep track of the workings of the car. Personally I could never work up the interest, which I suspect goes for 95% of the users of these cars, but watchdog-watchers are well represented on Internet forums.

Another thing to consider is the temperature in New Zealand.

The electric only range of my car varies considerably between summer and winter, and it doesn't really get cold in Adelaide.

Depending on where you are, you may find your electric range decreases a lot in winter.

It doesn't affect your petrol range.

Thanks to both! Yeah winter here is quite chilly so it may be affected, but I think I can charge at my boss's house so it would be only 13 kmts each way between charges.

Nahuelkond said:
Thanks to both! Yeah winter here is quite chilly so it may be affected, but I think I can charge at my boss's house so it would be only 13 kmts each way between charges.

Oh! That's a doddle.

Mine various between about 30 in winter and 50 in summer.
(It's quite variable because of driving conditions, load, my behaviour etc.)

My commute is 16 km round trip, and my charging routine is twice weekly in summer and three times weekly in winter.

Hello everyone

Still didn't buy the outlander and now because of covid reasons I won't for a while but my actual car had a flat battery because of lack of use which made me wonder:

How does the normal 12 volts battery and actual electric battery work together? Are they connected somehow so when you charge you actually charge both or the 12 volts is only specifically to start the engine? If that's the case I wonder how does the 12 vts battery don't suffer like the one in my car from lack of use or so little use if you manage to do most of the commute only on electric?

Thank you in advance

The drive battery charges the 12V battery once a day and whilst driving. The 12V battery does not start the ICE, it only boots up the computers and feeds the 12V circuits like lights, windscreen wipers etc.
ICE and generator form a Dynastart-type unit.

Back