Buying used Outlander-advise required

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dancingbrave

Hi,
I'm planning on buying a 4-5 year old model, and was thinking is it worth paying that bit more to a mitsubishi main dealer. I'm assuming they shouldn't have a problem with giving me a battery health report-talking of which, what should I be looking for in it?
I'm based in west London- can spend around £17K, what should I be able to get?

Have the prices dropped as a result of the situation we're in ?

I have a Toyota Prius, and twice thieves have attempted to steal the CAT on it- any such issues with the Outlander, as I hear other makes and models have been targeted also.

Thanks

Probably easier due to extra clearance but I don't recall anyone here reporting a theft - the bozos probably think it doesn't have a Cat as it is an electric car :lol:

It's tucked up right next to the engine behind a heatshield that's not easy to remove. As the engine only runs in a restricted rpm range and always under full computer control it doesn't need a large catalytic converter in the main exhaust. So nothing really to worry about there.

I spoke to the servicing manager at an authorised dealer yesterday,and he told me they're very hard to get to.

Regarding doing a SOH,they told me it wouldn't be a problem doing one, but tried to discourage me as " the battery is guaranteed for 8 years ". ;)

You should expect something like this.
The important information here, regarding the battery, is the "Battery Current Capacity". In this example it is 32.9Ah.
The accepted nominal battery capacity is 38Ah, so in this case the battery has a SoH of 86.5% (32.9/38).

Cheers.

Alex.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 67
Thank you AlexBorro for that info,

So what is the minimum figure should I accept ?

And the report, was it given at time of buying,or afterwards-I think they don't mind doing the report after you actually own the vehicle!

If you are in West London then good luck trying to get a report from your local dealer - they couldn't do it for me when I asked a couple of years ago as they didn't have a printer! :evil:

greendwarf,

Yes, I got the response I quoted above from a salesman at one dealer: " the battery's guaranteed for 8 years"- basically discourage anyone from going down that path.
The servicing manager was quite helpful though with info.

As far as I know the warranty applies for a battery with SoH < 70%.

This report was issued by the authorized dealer when I bought my car (from them). They told me they make this report and input the data "in the system" for every maintenance, so Mitsubishi-NL has a tracking of batteries life. And that seems to be true because the car had previous maintenance in other authorized dealer and the reports are included in the car maintenance book.

So this seems to be the behavior in The Netherlands.

Cheers.

Alex.

Don't quite follow- does that mean anything over 70% isn't covered?

From my experience of conversations with various salesmen at dealers,I don't think these reports are standard in the UK,as they seem to be unaware of them.

Dancingbrave said:

Don't quite follow- does that mean anything over 70% isn't covered?

Sorry, I was not clear. The battery has a warranty of 160.000 Km or 8 years, what comes first.
They will replace the battery under warranty if the SoH got bellow 70% if the car no more than 160.000Km and no more than 8 years.

Cheers.

Alex.

AFAIK the UK dealers still operate under a monopoly franchise run by Colt Cars rather than direct from Mitsu. This limits the sort of competition that might encourage dealers to be more customer friendly and that is why there are only 3 dealers for the whole of London! :shock:

And even then the North London one is a desk in the Kia dealer. Although having tried all 3, Hummingbird Motors are the best and worth driving up from sarf of the river :D

AlexBorro said:

This report was issued by the authorized dealer when I bought my car (from them). They told me they make this report and input the data "in the system" for every maintenance, so Mitsubishi-NL has a tracking of batteries life. And that seems to be true because the car had previous maintenance in other authorized dealer and the reports are included in the car maintenance book.

So this seems to be the behavior in The Netherlands.

Cheers.

Alex.
Correct.

Back