Moving from Land Rover to Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamdotcom

Hi guys!

I currently own a Land Rover Evoque which I’ve had for just under a year and it’s been nothing but trouble so I’m thinking of moving over to an Outlander.

Is there anything I should be on the look out for when buying one that would be a big red flag? My budget would put me at a 2018 model. I’ve seen a nice one I like which has loads of extras that I like but I know next to nothing about PHEV’s and the Outlander in particular.

Thanks in advance!
Liam.

I suppose it depends on why you bought the Evoque?

Yes, the Mitsu is probably more reliable/trouble free and if your daily driving is within EV range and/or you have the option of cheap recharging away from home for longer journeys, then most users find it an excellent economical load carrier that is very comfortable to drive but, in the end, it is down market from the Land Rover.

Satisfaction amongst new owners is very much driven by their expectations and their usage pattern. Without knowing more about that and your local geography (hills are battery drainers!) plus the age of car you are looking at, then it is difficult to be more specific. However, I would say there are no real problems with the car to look out for - only the driver. :lol:

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I bought the Evoque as I’ve always wanted a Land Rover but it has been far too unreliable in the short time I’ve had it. I love the car but I can’t justify all the repairs.

I had use of an outlander in 2008 model as a company car and I loved it so I’m thinking of swapping mine for one. The model I’m looking at which is in the same price range as the current value of my LR is a 2018 model. The one I’ve seen has almost 60k miles on the clock which is fine by me as I don’t do many miles so it will soon even out the average. I will definitely be able to run on EV most of the time as my work is only about 5 miles away.

I guess having no experience of owning an EV before I don’t know what to look out for when buying such as battery reliability etc. I see what you mean about it being technically down market from the LR but to me it’s still a great looking car with lots of tech built in and if they’re pretty reliable on the whole then we’re on to a winner! 😀

0k - so a 2018 with 50k suggests more mileage on petrol than my 2014 PHEV with the same figure - possibly run by someone with more interest in the company car tax advantage then in economical driving? As a result, mechanically it is likely have "suffered" similar wear to any 3 year old car with that usage.

However, unless it has been subject to frequent rapid charging e.g. at motorway service areas, then the mechanical wear is compensated with perhaps less stress on the battery. Although other users will tell you about the wonders of a battery health check, what really matters (and will give you a good idea about the battery anyway) is how far you can drive on a full charge on electric only. NB. Ignore the figure on the dash as that is a guestimate based on the previous journey.

Ideally, therefore you need to be able to have an extended test drive in urban conditions i.e. 30mph without hills, until the battery is empty. WARNING light right foot or you will make the ICE kick in and ruin the test. The closer you can get to 30 miles distance the healthier the battery. I would expect around 25 for a 2018 car but less than 20 would indicate problems - I still get over 20 out of mine after 7 years.

Although, there are, like any car, a number of niggles that annoy some drivers, the only consistent issue is the brake callipers which tend to seize up - more due to lack of use because of the Regen braking effect rather than any inherent design fault.

Wow, thanks for that brilliant reply! That’s given me a few things to ask for from the dealer. I will ask for the healthcheck and also see if I can have an extended test drive.

I’ve seen that there’s a recall out for the particular car I was looking at, is it a general one that all models are recalled for? It didn’t mention the reason in the report I read.

Can anyone also shed a light the tax payments for these too? I think I have my head around it but I’m not 100%. From what I can gather it is £145 plus £480 for the first 6 years then it drops down to just £145 a year?

I think I’m pretty much set on an Outlander now even though the tax is high for the next 3 years.

Hi Liam

I also made the move from LR after 16 years/9 vehicles to Mitsubishi for the same reason as you and never regretted it :cool:

I owned my Outlander 2.5 years with zero issues and the service from Mitsubishi dealer was the best I'd experienced in 30 years of motoring :mrgreen:

Mine was a 2016 and had the free RFL - part of the reason I didn't buy another was the ridiculous changes to the system in 2017 making the PHEV less attractive if you spent over £40k than my 4.2 Tonne diesel Motorhome which only costs £165 pa!

Good luck with your purchase

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. It’s good to know you have no regrets, that’s comforting to know!

Yeah I didn’t know about the tax thing until after I’d already enquired about the car. It seems so strange to me that the hybrid would cost so much more than my petrol guzzling Land Rover!

Do any of you guys have extended warranties with these PHEV cars? I’d never had one on any of my cars until I got the LR and I’m so glad I did!

Do you not have a Mitsubishi anymore then?

Totally agree on the extended warranty on a LR - I wouldn’t own one without

I sold the Mitsubishi after I bought a motorhome and a Fiat 500 to tow behind it which made the Mitsubishi unnecessary but then winter came and I decided to buy another PHEV but didn’t have enough space for another outlander so bought a countryman instead

Reliability on the outlander appears excellent so I wasn’t considering a warranty had I kept it but owners with older models can advise better on this now

Never used the warranty on my 2014 car but the battery (the most expensive bit) comes with an 8 year warranty anyway - so no need to cover that on a 2018 model. Mind you I never buy extended warranties anyway because as an accountant I know that they are not cost effective. :cool:

greendwarf said:
Mind you I never buy extended warranties anyway because as an accountant I know that they are not cost effective. :cool:

Unless it’s on a Land Rover 😂. I’ve had mine 1 year and already claimed for a new Haldex unit and pump at a cost of about £5k. Theres a list of other repairs which need doing too so if I was to keep it that bill would probably be closer to £6k!!

Muddywheels said:
Totally agree on the extended warranty on a LR - I wouldn’t own one without

I sold the Mitsubishi after I bought a motorhome and a Fiat 500 to tow behind it which made the Mitsubishi unnecessary but then winter came and I decided to buy another PHEV but didn’t have enough space for another outlander so bought a countryman instead

Reliability on the outlander appears excellent so I wasn’t considering a warranty had I kept it but owners with older models can advise better on this now

Ahh well this fills me with hope then that I’m not going to be a regular at the local garage! Good to see you stuck around on this forum even though you don’t have one anymore 👍🏼👍🏼

liamdotcom said:
greendwarf said:
Mind you I never buy extended warranties anyway because as an accountant I know that they are not cost effective. :cool:

Unless it’s on a Land Rover 😂. I’ve had mine 1 year and already claimed for a new Haldex unit and pump at a cost of about £5k. Theres a list of other repairs which need doing too so if I was to keep it that bill would probably be closer to £6k!!

They certainly know how to charge :roll:

Around 2005 I hit a pheasant and broke headlamp on a Discovery 2.5 - cost me £15 to buy part and replace from LR dealer - couple of years ago a friend did same with a Discovery 5 and cost him over £1000 :shock:

I can remember my father, who was a Ford executive, telling me that they sold the cars at no more than cost price and made their profits on the parts. However, this is not cost effective if you have to ship them half-way round the world.

I suspect it is still true and that reliability is always better in overseas markets because of this. :idea:

Back