Warranty in uk/europe

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nernm

Yippee, I see the warranty on Mitsubishi cars in the UK and Europe is now 5 year, which brings it into line with the likes of Toyota and other Asian manufacturers.

See
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/owners/warranty.aspx
or download a brochure.

Before Christmas I had noted when doing my on-line researches on the model that the warranty seemed to be 3 yr in the UK and Europe but 5 yr in Australia, which seemed a bit frustrating and unfair.

Having a Toyota Auris HSD hybrid with a 5 yr warranty I was reluctant to make a mega investment in a vehicle with only a 3 yr warranty and was even considering a Prius plug-in.

Does anyone know when the change took place?

Sorry for you guys who have recently purchased with a 3 year warranty.

Apologies, don't bother downloading a brochure for warranty information. There is no information inside, only the logo on the outside cover "Now with a 5 year warranty (See your dealer for full details)"

They used to have a 500 Euro two year extension on the three year guaranty. It seems they included it in the price now. The electrics carried a five year warranty all the time anyway.

Found the press release on the 5 year warranty -all models from 1st January 2015

http://www.mitsubishi-media.co.uk/release/998/#

I would imagine the new warranty would apply to those of us who currently have Outlanders on order as it would take effect from the date of supply. Can anyone confirm this?

The press release is a bit vague and ambiguous,

"From the 1 January 2015, all Mitsubishi cars and commercial vehicles will come with a fully comprehensive five-year warranty package as standard. In addition, models come with a three-year, pan European roadside assistance package – MAP (Mitsubishi Assistance Package)"

However I would interpret that to mean cars registered on or after 1 Jan 2015. I don't see how else they could work it. If it was when you ordered, only your own dealership would know that information, so if you went to another dealer under warranty they would not have that info.

Phone the dealer you ordered from and check.

Note also a 3 year roadside assistance package too.

nernm said:
The press release is a bit vague and ambiguous,

"From the 1 January 2015, all Mitsubishi cars and commercial vehicles will come with a fully comprehensive five-year warranty package as standard. In addition, models come with a three-year, pan European roadside assistance package – MAP (Mitsubishi Assistance Package)"

However I would interpret that to mean cars registered on or after 1 Jan 2015. I don't see how else they could work it. If it was when you ordered, only your own dealership would know that information, so if you went to another dealer under warranty they would not have that info.

Phone the dealer you ordered from and check.

I don't think that is true - the warranty information will be held on-line and accessible to all dealers. Otherwise, how would they know that you have purchased the extended warranty?

Correct, that is linked to the chassis number and stored in Mitsubishi's central data base which is accessible to all dealers. Like the date of registration and of delivery.
And all service computer readouts btw.

nernm said:

That's been there for a long time - mine in November came with it, though the sales guy thought it was only a year when I collected the car until I showed him in the paperwork... ;-)

Okay, point taken. But warranty/extended warranty is still surely going to run from the date first registered (i.e. the earliest you could use it), not the date you ordered it. That is the date info that is going to be available to other dealers.

So I still think the four year warranty must be based on date first registered, regardless of when you ordered it.

jaapv said:
Date delivered, probably.

Indeed - date of first registration could cause some expensive anomalies - I know that dates of delivery and registration are generally almost identical, but there can be a few special cases - you don't have to register a vehicle if you don't use it on the road and there are some large country estates that have vehicles that are only used off-road and are never registered - Mitsubishi could find themselves having to provide warranty service on a ten year old vehicle!

jaapv said:
Date delivered, probably.

Precisely. I just heard from the dealer and I have the 5 year warranty confirmed from point of delivery ... which won't be too far away now hopefully.

Hi,
My dealer confirmed the 5 year warranty applies to all cars registered on or after 1st Jan. I had asked if the warranty was extended retrospectively, but it isn't. Was worth an ask. Might make an interesting point if the car fails in an expensive way between 3 & 5 years under the sale of goods act. i.e. The car should last a reasonable length of time from purchase and upto 5 years might be considered a reasonable length of time especially now the warranty on new cars has been extended.
Kind regards,
Mark

My car was delivered on the 17th December. I must be honest I was very disappointed having written to Mitsubishi to be told that there was nothing they could do about extending the warranty.
Had I known I would have waited 2 weeks for delivery.
Has anyone else written to them and received a response?

See below:

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the change of the warranty, especially after the recent purchase of your Outlander PHEV.

I can confirm we are The Colt Car Company Limited and we act as the official importers of the Mitsubishi passenger vehicle into the UK. The decision to change the warranty was made by Mitsubishi Motors Corporation and the change was only announced to us in the last few days of 2014.

The new warranty is only applicable for vehicle registered on 1st January 2015, therefore this does not apply to your vehicle which was registered on 12th December 2014.

It should be noted that the PHEV has always had a 5 year/62,000 miles warranty (whichever occurs first) on the main EV components. The only difference between the pre and post 2015 PHEV warranties is that there will be no further cover on the non-EV parts after the first 3 years.

We have a range of extended warranty policies, which can be purchased from our approved Warranty Services. You may wish to contact them to discuss suitable cover options. You can call them on 0845 641 9762.

Again, I am sorry that you have been disappointed; regretfully there is nothing that we can do to amend the current warranty on your recent purchase.

Kind regards

Samantha

That's harsh and leaves a bitter taste I'm sure. Obivously there has to be a cut off point for the change, but having a period for retrospective extensions would've reflected better on MMC. I wonder if their PR department had much say in the decision, after all MMCs current success with the Outlander is somewhat down to 2014's buying public.

Not such bitter a taste I hope - warranty extensions are not that expensive to purchase. Would it have been upsetting if Mitsubishi would have started a promotion of a 500 pound price cut on accessory packs at the first of January, for instance?

I agree with jaapv - this is merely a marketing decision with little practical effect. Of course it may be that an individual owner will be caught out but seriously how many major components fail due to a manufacturing defect between 3 & 5 years on modern cars? My 16 year old Toyota only had 2 fails - the sun roofing jamming after about 10 years and the radiator leaking at 14.

Most defects will turn up during initial usage rather than later and the more novel the component the more likely - hence the existing 5 years for the EV components. Lets get real here - if the manufacturers thought parts might fail they wouldn't offer the warranty ;)

I took delivery of my car end of october last year, yesterday I got from my dealer the documents and the warranty-card confirming that the warranty has been extended to 5 years without supplementary costs. I live in Germany

Back