FAQ? GX3h vs GX4h

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterGalbavy

I am going for a test drive on Saturday, expressed interest in the GX4h, but now I'm looking at specs and costs (of leasing) I am not sure I need the GX4h extras for what would be about £80/month.

As far as I can see the core differences are the interior trim, the powered tailgate, the navigation (most comments seem negative about this anyway) and the remote app capability.

Have I missed anything critical? The core care and driving experience should be the same?

I have seen comments about lead times but until I have spoken to the dealer I won't know their situation.

Appreciate comments from real experience. Thanks!

I think most people would agree that the most significant difference is the electric heating on a GX4h. Without that, the GX3h can only heat the cabin in winter by burning petrol. Even the GX4 falls back to petrol when the temperature approaches zero, but if you want to be warm in a GX3 between November and March, you are going to be running on petrol a lot.

P.S. - the difference in running costs is unlikely to equal the £80/month price difference you mention, so you may be better off going for the GX3h. A lot depends on your motives for choosing the Outlander - there are those here that have turned not burning petrol almost into a religion and are offended if the engine ever starts - if you are one of them and want to drive in a degree of winter comfort, then you probably want the GX4. If you are more pragmatic about it, calculate that the £80 will buy close to 20 gallons of petrol and accept that you will be driving a petrol car quite a lot of the winter!

Ah! See, I didn't spot that "extra". Thanks for the info and I will bear that in mind.

My expected driving profile is non-commuting, primarily at weekends and probably <10k miles/year. But I ain't sure yet. If I can maybe get a part time space at work (inside the congestion zone, near Old Street) then who knows ;)

It's not just the heater using electric versus petrol - you cannot pre-heat in the winter to facilitate a cosy, frost-free car when you depart if you've only got a 3.
The 4's Sat Nav isn't that bad IMO, and it comes as part of the MMCS which also allows you to keep an eye on charging costs as well as a wealth of other info. Reverse Camera is useful, as well as other niceties like sunroof and HID headlamps.

I think the key things on the GX4 for me were HID Headlights, Sunroof, Black Leather, Electric heater, Sat Nav

Driver5 said:
I think the key things on the GX4 for me were HID Headlights, Sunroof, Black Leather, Electric heater, Sat Nav

Probably the HID lights and leather seat alone justified the upgrade :)

tun said:
Driver5 said:

Probably the HID lights and leather seat alone justified the upgrade :)

£80 per month seems like a lot of money for s bit of leather and a bright light bulb

BTW I am basing my costings purely on the headline "business" lease prices on http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/contract-hire/phev.aspx - 3+35 is £269+VAT or £355+VAT for the 3h/4h respectively. Once you factor in VAT it's even more diff. I am still reading and thinking and waiting for the test drive. Thanks all!

Hi - I had this same dilemma a while ago when I ordered mine. My new G3 arrived last week (and I'm loving it) and I'm glad I didn't opt for the G4.

I weighed up the key points:

- Leather - nice but not essential and the cloth, faux leather in the G3 is good.
- Sunroof - had them before and rarely used them.
- Pre-heat/app - nice idea and this was what nearly tipped me over. However, the savings over using the engine to heat the car are minimal, certainly nowhere near the cost of the extras.
- Reversing camera - I had a great one on my last car as well as sensors. Not sure why Mitsubishi went down the one or other route, but the camera is a bit naff compared to my last one. Guide lines only come on after about 30 seconds from a cold start, plus they are fixed and don't show the car tracking.
- Chrome trim - not fussed
- MMCS - would have liked to have it, but have a separate and better satnav and all the driving info would just be a distraction over time, I suspect.
- Elecy boot - nice idea, but slow and beeps a lot.

The above may seem 'sniffy' and of course it's all personal preference and experience. For me, none of the extras were worth the extra lease costs, but naturally for someone else they may be. If the difference was only a few hundred a year (which it clearly wouldn't be, I know) then I would like to have them (although the camera is a bit naff).

Good luck in choosing and really you won't go too far wrong with either. I'm lovin' mine!

Must admit, I'm glad I've the 4. Frost free and warm car ready in the winter mornings, heated leather seats are always nice. Reversing camera is useful, especially when hitching a caravan and also for seeing whether the tailgate will foul, plus I've got used to the guide lines. Sunroof I'm not so bothered about - it as only been opened once and that was by mistake when looking for the light switch. And finally, the headlights are nice :)

The sun roof can make a useful contribution towards maximising EV range - the aircon does suck a fair amount of charge and having the sun roof open can help to keep the cabin temperature down without a howling gale in your ears from open windows.

jaapv said:
Increasing win resistance. Has somebody figured out the tradeoff at various speeds?

Unless you are prepared to sit in a sauna, you would have to compare the drag of an open sunroof against the drag of an open window. My guess is that the sunroof would win - it seems to be more aerodynamic than the window.

The test drive was good!

I've gone for it an ordered a GX3h in Atlantic Grey. Ship due in port on the 29th and the dealer hopes to have it one to two weeks after that.

Thanks for all the info, after the feedback and the test drive (of a GX4h) I decided the extras are not necessary for me for the money. I actually preferred the fabric seats in their GX3h too :)

Hi all,

Yes, five years on and brining this thread to life. I am looking at a used Outlander, pre facelift 2014/15. Read through here and thought I would go for the 3h, suits my needs. I don't need the sat nav, but from what I can tell in pictures the 4h has the touchscreen system, the 3h does not.

What are people's opinion on needing that, I thought that's where all the eco knowledge was displayed and while it comes down to how you drive the car, it would be good to know what's going on. Is the 4h worth it for the infotainment system?

Thank you

I've had a Gx3h from new in 2014. Never missed the central system as I have my own satnav to use on hire cars abroad.

However, not having the electric heater is a bit of a pain with passengers who want to be warm in winter, which means burning fuel even though I have battery available. Because of this my battery might not have been stressed as much as in a Gx4h :idea:

Back