Now Delivered! Company Car - Outlander GX4hs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarBoy

Hi Folks

Love the wealth of information available in this forum.

I will be ordering a Outlander HX4h shortly as a company car, I work from home though our children go to school in a neighbouring village.

Currently we have a Focus Saloon, owned since 2002 from new, fantastic car, love it to bits, and since ownership has only broken down once.

I have 3 children, they are 5, 7 and 9, they are all boys, I love my Focus, but it is a squeeze for us now, bikes don't fit, neither does going away for a holiday.

In 4 weeks time I have a 6kW Solar Panel installation being put in, should give power from dawn till dusk, and I had a 32Amp car charger installed in 2014.

My new car will mostly be driven by my wife, though I may well do the morning school run!

Onto the serious stuff.

1) My wife has Raynauds, this means that her fingers etc get cold, is the electric heater any good? I think the 2016 version has electric heated steering wheel?
2) Are there bike racks available / any idea on prices?
3) Colour ... I think Red looks fantastic, but White is cheaper ...
4) Options ... the company car tool doesn't show any options, is there anything I should request?

Any other thoughts would be very much appreciated, many thanks/

SolarBoy said:
Hi Folks

Love the wealth of information available in this forum.

I will be ordering a Outlander HX4h shortly as a company car, I work from home though our children go to school in a neighbouring village.

Currently we have a Focus Saloon, owned since 2002 from new, fantastic car, love it to bits, and since ownership has only broken down once.

I have 3 children, they are 5, 7 and 9, they are all boys, I love my Focus, but it is a squeeze for us now, bikes don't fit, neither does going away for a holiday.

In 4 weeks time I have a 6kW Solar Panel installation being put in, should give power from dawn till dusk, and I had a 32Amp car charger installed in 2014.

My new car will mostly be driven by my wife, though I may well do the morning school run!

Onto the serious stuff.

1) My wife has Raynauds, this means that her fingers etc get cold, is the electric heater any good? I think the 2016 version has electric heated steering wheel?
Yes the 2016 has a heated steering wheel but remember also if she has the remote control app on her phone she can start the car warming up 20 minutes before she needs to go out and it will be all cosy. I did this today so we could all jump in the car in tee shirts and go out.
I find the electric heating to be very fast anyway as of course its not dependent on the engine warming up before
you get any heat.

2) Are there bike racks available / any idea on prices?
I would check on your company configurator if there is a fitted towbar selection you can choose, on any car it makes carrying bikes far easier and opens a big choice of good options.

3) Colour ... I think Red looks fantastic, but White is cheaper ...
Red would be a bit different, the majority of PHEV's were sold as company cars in the UK so White has been popular as its free. I think mine looks great in White and saved a few pounds a month.

4) Options ... the company car tool doesn't show any options, is there anything I should request?
Not really any factory options. Often the way with Japanese cars ,they are pretty loaded with everything
you need across most models, you just pick the level you want to spend to for more extra 'toys'. A 4h your not
going to be wanting for anything.

Any other thoughts would be very much appreciated, many thanks/
Enjoy your car, before long it will feel like driving anything else will seem like strangely hard work and crude.

Bob has answered your questions well.

You can also check the website for options - http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/accessories/categories.aspx?group=48

I am a dealer and have tried the heated steering wheel - works very well :)

If I can assist in any quotes, BIK comparisons please do hestistate to ask - [email protected]

Many thanks BobEngineer for the comprehensive reply. Looking forward to an autobox in the UK, have only had auto's when driving in North America :)

Hi Neil, thank you for the heating steering info, the demo car is a 2015, not 2016 so good to know. Looking at the options, option creep here I come! Last company car was in the 90's, LOL, where "Green" then was a Perkins powered Rover. Have to go via company lease providers but will keep you in mind if we decide to buy outright :)

SolarBoy said:
Looking at recent quotes, the GX4hs is only £20 per month more than the GX4h ... hmmmm ...
Think carefully about whether you really want the extras. If your wife is going to be the main driver will she need/want the added extras. I'm perfectly happy with the 4h, and didn't see much advantage in the extras of the 4hs for MY pattern of use. I emphasise that, because we all have different usage patterns.

Regulo said:
SolarBoy said:
Looking at recent quotes, the GX4hs is only £20 per month more than the GX4h ... hmmmm ...
Think carefully about whether you really want the extras. If your wife is going to be the main driver will she need/want the added extras. I'm perfectly happy with the 4h, and didn't see much advantage in the extras of the 4hs for MY pattern of use. I emphasise that, because we all have different usage patterns.

Very true - in fact if you look back over the GX4hs related postings here, you will find quite a few of them discussing how to turn off some of the features that you are buying for that additional £20pm

I thought the same - the s was an extra £30 per month, and over 3 years thats over £1000 so I just went for the Gx4h. Felt like a lot of money to pay for the extras, especially when the ACC would hardly be used and the LDWS sounds like it is more of an annoyance than anything else. Front and rear parking sensors would have been useful, but not that big a deal given that it already has the 360 degree cameras, and I've been used to that on my Qashqai for the past few years.

Thank you folks for the feedback ... yes my wife will probably be doing a lot of the miles due to the school run.

She is quite technical but has a blindspot an which button to push when on our current car.

I got a call a few weeks ago, she won't mind me posting this:

Her: Hi it's me
Me: Hi
Her: I've done something silly
Me: Are you okay?
Her: Yes fine, I've shut the car and house keys in the boot and I need you to get a taxi and bring the spare key down
Me: Okay don't worry, are you somewhere safe?
Her: Yes in the school car park
Me: How are the kids?
Her: Yes they are fine, they are strapped into their seat belts and reading books
Me: Er, so have you tried pressing the boot release button?
*click*

Then again I can't work the washing machine or dishwasher.

As an actual geek I rather like the idea of the extras ... though the Lane thingy looks just irritating!

She hasn't driven an automatic before and tends to treat our current car like she was driving Le Mans ... so it may be a bit of a shock. We did have a Skoda Superb for a few weeks after we had a head on with an old driver, she drove that with no problems, it is a huge car. She drove that quite slowly.

I wonder if the thingy that autobrakes would be money well spent in case one of our three young boys distract her and she lifts off the foot pedal?

We have a GX4h 2015 demonstrator for a 4 day trial very shortly, we are quite excited - and during half-term, what is there not to like?

This month I am blowing £10,000 on an oversize PV Solar system, the car'd be on a 4 year lease so the extra cost would be £864.

I will try and find the threads mentioned about turning various features off.

We live a frugal life, haven't had a holiday since 2005, we have chickens, grow our own fruit and veg and wear old clothes, and currently drive an almost to 16 year old car that we love and had since new but it's not as comfortable as it used to be. This is a YOLO moment.

Watching the promotional videos from Mitsubishi for the various GX4hs features has got me stoked ... okay off to find those threads!

Final question for now ... get the standard White or the Red, I have £2 left in my company car allowance and by my calculations it may well cover it ... my worry with the Red is that people would race us!

Two things I've found out about owning a PHEV.

The electricity costs come from the joint account, the missus still hasn't realised this, therefore on pure electric, from my perspective I get the equivalent of 320MPG not 160MPG, when compared to petrol costs.

The other is that my wife has NEVER pulled into a petrol station and put fuel in the car, but after SHOPPING she does reverse the car in and PLUG IT IN, so finally she is actually fueling the car.

The benefits of owning a PHEV therefore are brilliant, never again can she complain about cost of running a car, or say to me its my job to fill the car, either way she's contributing without knowing she is.

The only extra in the 4hs that is of any value to me is the adaptive cruise. I do a lot of motorway miles and being able to 'lock on' the back of a nice steady lorry and let the car follow it would be fantastic.

Lane departure is stupid, technology for the sake of it. Honda did a version for some of its cars that was far more useful in that it actually gently steered the car for you and kept it centre of your lane!! it was combined with adaptive cruise.. what an easy way to travel! (if anyone wonders, you could manually over-ride it by turning the wheel and the car had to detect you sat there with your hands on the steering wheel or wouldn't engage)

I have the 4hs. ACC is a big bonus on long runs! much better than just cruise control, LDWS is annoying on country lanes (so I turn mine ON when I want it by setting it in LDW2 mode) but again brilliant on long dual carriageways or motorways. FCM - luckily has never kicked in, in anger but has always alerted me to a dangerous situation ( it has flashed the brake warning about 6 times or so over the last 5.5 months - usually when vehicles in front are braking to turn off the road and you know that you will clear them safely.) And it is nice to know that it is doing its job, I would like to test its capabilities but I am not that brave. However, I think it would do its job and stop the car before a collision - if I let it!

Do I regret the additional safety aids - NO I wouldn't be without them. And you all should know that on the 1st Nov this year, all newly registered vehicles over 3.5 tonnes in the EU have to be fitted with all those 3 devices as standard. It is only a matter of time before is is not a paid for option on private vehicles - but a mandatory requirement. Just like ABS has become in the last ten years.

I'm afraid those of you that don't have the 4hs options cannot appreciate the benefits, just the same as me commenting on the new model and criticising the heated steering wheel - I can't do that because I have never had one, I like the thought of it, but could I justify the expense? My extra gadgets are designed to save lives - not keep your pinkies warm, go on someone - for the extra money - how much the price of a life?

We have a lot of 3h drivers on here complaining about cold starts with the engine on - no MMCS info, no access to the phone app etc. I say everyone has a free right to make their own choice, depending on their perceived pattern of use of the car, and SHOULD NOT be criticised for that.....

Here endeth the lesson :oops:

Hi, Neverfuel,

I wasn't criticising any of the features of the 4hs, simply pointing out that in my case the extra outlay wasn't worth it! I don't do a great mileage on Motorways or fast A roads, which obviates the ACC and LDW features for a start. FCM is something I would have liked, and I'm sure it will be standard in the near future. I haven't driven into anything so far in my 47 years on the road, so I'll take my chances without it now! That's done it, I'm bound to hit something now! :(

Regulo said:
Hi, Neverfuel,

I wasn't criticising any of the features of the 4hs, simply pointing out that in my case the extra outlay wasn't worth it! I don't do a great mileage on Motorways or fast A roads, which obviates the ACC and LDW features for a start. FCM is something I would have liked, and I'm sure it will be standard in the near future. I haven't driven into anything so far in my 47 years on the road, so I'll take my chances without it now! That's done it, I'm bound to hit something now! :(

Hi Regulo

I am not long enough in the tooth to even attempt to influence you or people like Anko, Maby, Trex, Jaapv etc. So please don't apologise. I just want new people on the forum to know that they should decide their model based on how they will use the car normally and sometimes the safety features are worth it if you only drive locally for the majority of the time, but occasionally end up driving through the night when you have had a heavy week of it, as in my case! :roll:

Neverfuel said:
We have a lot of 3h drivers on here complaining about cold starts with the engine on - no MMCS info, no access to the phone app etc. :

A "lot"? My impression is that most of us 3h drivers are glad not to have the MMCS & 'phone problems :lol: and are prepared to put up with a bit cold whilst being kept warm by the money we've saved :D

Neverfuel said:
Regulo said:
Hi, Neverfuel,

Hi Regulo

I am not long enough in the tooth to even attempt to influence you or people like Anko, Maby, Trex, Jaapv etc. So please don't apologise. I just want new people on the forum to know that they should decide their model based on how they will use the car normally and sometimes the safety features are worth it if you only drive locally for the majority of the time, but occasionally end up driving through the night when you have had a heavy week of it, as in my case! :roll:

Don't assume people have not had other vehicles with these sort of features, they are not new so do have valid opinions without owning a 4hs. For a great many years/miles I have managed to stay in lane or avoid hitting the back of something and to be honest if I needed these aids I would judge myself too tired to be driving safely and postpone my journey.

More electronics are a relatively cheap way of inflating a car's specification list, I would swap all of it including emergency brake light, dimming mirror and so on for a simple spacesaver spare wheel. Being able to get the car out of a risky place as soon as possible would do more for safety than all these gadgets together (it just doesn't sound so interesting on the brochure).. in my humble opinion.

Demonstrator is here ... charged her up and had a quick 10 mile run around side roads and a couple of motorway runs.

140lq9y.jpg

For some reason the range only started at 17 miles despite being fully charged.

My first manoeuvre was to reverse uphill off my driveway ... I was so scared that the hill assist wouldn't work ... but it did! Phew.

My brain can't handle the width, brain says it is wider than it is. My wife said my positioning was okay, but it is tricky. If I could get over this problem I would like it a lot more.

Ignore the range - the car "guesstimates" it, depending on how it was driven in the last 5 minutes or so. So if you've belted it down the motorway, then charged it, the car assumes that's how you're going to drive it now!

Regulo said:
Ignore the range - the car "guesstimates" it, depending on how it was driven in the last 5 minutes or so. So if you've belted it down the motorway, then charged it, the car assumes that's how you're going to drive it now!

Ah okay thank you ... driving 'normally' was very relaxing (apart from width concerns) and love the re-gen braking.

The car almost drives itself.

And I only reached for the clutch the once!

More driving tomorrow, only got 5 hours sleep last night so perhaps not the best day to try the demonstrator.

enjoy!

Just been stuck in a big jam on the M42 from an accident. Despite having little battery it stayed almost entirely in EV mode silently nudging along with a gentle prod.

Things to try...

Find a very quiet road, a bit of dual carriageway is best where you can stop for a moment. Then just floor it and feel the novelty of one big long acceleration from nothing to xxx mph, feel it going through the different modes and the real extra legs it gets as parallel mode kicks in. It will ruin your economy but fascinating.

Drive around a multistorey with the window open and play with switching the warning sound on and off.

Wait until someone is walking past and using the remote do the boot dance, it responds quickly to further presses and reverses direction quickly so you can actually wiggle it! watch their face.

Marvel at driving in stop start traffic up a moderate hill and how it just seems to know how to hold itself without you pressing any pedals, just enough power in the motor to stop roll back or creep.

Back