It's here

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay!! :D

Bet it feels good!

Still trying to negotiate my way to buying one with the dealer at the moment.. Gonna do it though!!

Crack the picture thing and get some shots up for us :)

R

Only done 7 miles so far so very limited, but:

Feels as nice to drive as I recall, pleasingly.
Some things are noticeably less 'substantial' than on the Disco eg. door shuts feel a bit tinny, as does glovebox.
Owners manual is slightly longer than War and Peace and probably not as easy to read!
Can't find, bass, treble, balance or fader controls for the stereo? edit - FOUND :!:
Hands-free speaker seems to be on the passenger side :? Am guessing a carry-over from LHD models.
Agree with what some others have said about the 'app' - needs to be manually connected every time :roll: , very short range - I can barely connect from inside the house. On the upside it's easy to use and I think I will find the timed climate control in particular really useful. It seems odd though that you have to choose between heat, cool or demist :? Surely if you want heat you are likely to also want demist?
Anyway, will report back more over the next week or so...

Looking very sharp! Exactly the same as the one we've ordered. Can't wait to hear your first findings good or bad.

As much as it hurts me (yes, Mitsubishi has delayed the Outlander PHEV again in the US), congrats! :lol:

Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing your experiences, I'm glad I can at least live vicariously through owners on the forum until the plug-in comes here!

good for you maddogs. Looking darn fine. I wasn't sure on the colours but actually white looks pretty good. I ordered mine on 14th May via our company car scheme (lease) but the actually vehicle wasn't ordered from Mitsubishi until nearly 2 weeks later due to admin backlog (I really can't recommend Hitachi, they've been so slow). I grabbed one of the last GX4h off the June boat & went for Amethyst black. I have to wait another coupe of days - AGONY - company fit a couple of safety items and so mine is forecasting Friday 27th.

Home charge unit via British Gas being fitted 2nd July. I stuck with free 16Amp (its a £99 upgrade for 30Amp) but the PHEV can't cope with 30Amp and I was worried it would harm long term battery life. Probably misguided but this is pretty new to me. British Gas hadn't called after the 10 days they said in email so I called and simply said my car was on its way could they squeeze me in - they were actually pretty helpful.

If you have any hints and tips, it would be awesome if you started a new thread "new owner lessons learned" or something liek that to stop us all gong through the same pain of working out some of the basics!

Enjoy your car.

If you have any hints and tips, it would be awesome if you started a new thread "new owner lessons learned" or something liek that to stop us all gong through the same pain of working out some of the basics!

Good idea AJB (sorry to abbreviate your name!).

Hope to post an update later so will create a new thread then. :cool:

Eagerly awaiting the new thread :)

How did you get on with the powered tailgate - please say you've worked out a way to make it work without having to first power up the car?

Cheers,

Richard.

End of the first (part) week, quick report on running costs etc. Disappointed (tongue in cheek) to say that I have only managed 99% EV so far as I stupidly turned on the AC briefly today. Once I noticed the EV range had dropped somewhat I switched it back off and the range instantly went up by 5 miles :shock:

Here's a couple of screenshots after 115 miles total over 4 days. I've charged it every night and also most days. Found the feature which allows you to input your actual cost per kWh and after that you get a really useful summary of charge costs with both a long term and a short term history option. £4.10 so far so average cost per mile is approx. 3.7p :D

This might sound obvious but I suppose not something one thinks about when driving ICE - the car uses way more power on journeys that are broadly uphill. I do a school run morning and night - round trip of approx. 12 miles (6 miles each way) and the school is about 100m higher than home. Typically I'm 'using' about 13-15 miles EV 'range' on the outbound trip and only 2-3 miles range on the inbound.

Two other lessons I've learned - 1) remember to actually turn on the charger, not just plug it in :roll: ; and 2) use every opportunity to top up the charge as you never know when an impromptu / unplanned trip will come up - I had an unexpected round trip of approx. 25 miles today and was glad I thought to charge it up after the morning school run. However I then plugged it in but forgot to turn it on and was therefore pleased to find, after another 4-5m round trip (pizza!) that it was still going on pure EV even though the range indicator had run out (doesn't get to zero, shows --- instead).

Thanks Maddogs - really interesting, and a good tip re plugging in at every opportunity (and switching on!).

I see you have 3 leaves on the eco score - I believe that means you need to use the regen paddles more (I got 4 leaves on test drive, but it was only really short). Maybe it is your reckless use of AC dragging your score down...?!

You are using an ordinary socket I think - how long is it taking to charge from pretty much flat - is it about 5.5 hours?

How come my car was on the same boat but I am still waiting for a collection date. Grrr - jealous.
H

I've got mine as well this afternoon :D :D :D :D :D

Been reading the manual; trying to figure out stuff; still haven't got the app to work though I think I know where I am going wrong.

Will call it a night tonight and work on it again in the morning.

So far, with the little driving I have done I have been very impressed

Congrats Apyds :D - enjoy!

I did have a bit of trouble getting the App to work. Can't recall exactly what it was now but something on the instructions on screen didn't work quite as it said it should. You do need to have it in Acc mode (power light orange not blue - one press with your foot OFF the brake pedal).

TBH I'm not sure how much use the app is gonna be to me as the range is hopeless and having to disconnect from the home wifi/reconnect to the car wifi every time is a real pain. I don't understand why it can't work over the mobile network - would be so much better and would overcome both those shortcomings completely. Perhaps we will get a better version sometime :roll:

Thanks Maddogs. Got it to work finally.

Will put my advice up about where I went wrong with the app in the advice thread that has started. I can get the signal for the app all over my house from my phone (albeit; it drops to about 1 bar in our bedroom); so far, therefore, I am not disappointed like I thought I would be with the app reading this forum.

Only thing I don't like so far is the chargemaster charging point/ lead. Chargemaster advised me that if I buy the unit that has the charging lead that is not fixed to the unit itself (i.e. have to buy lead separately) then it would be more future proof if I buy another PHEV with another type of lead in the future. I checked with them 3 or 4 times whether the lead I can buy can be locked onto the charging point so no-one can steal the lead - each time they responded that it can be. Now I have finally installed the lead, I note that it just slips into the socket and slips out - no way to lock it so that it can not be stolen. Given the charging point is on an open driveway I am really not happy about this.

A few more observations today:

1) There are no controls on the face level heating/cooling vents to turn them down or off :roll: So if your passenger wants hot air to the face, and you don't, tough - the only way to adjust them is via the central fan speed control :!: Didn't notice this before - seems like a strange omission :?

2) For anyone considering ordering a charging station (I haven't - yet), and bearing in mind apyds issue above, I can see that I will eventually start to tire of fetching a charging lead and putting it away - tethered has to be the way to go!

3) Using the AC seems to affect EV range somewhat more than I had anticipated. In my limited experience so far it's a reduction of 30-50% (based on indicated range - haven't actually tested it yet). TBH I'm not too concerned about this as a) I'm quite enjoying driving with windows and sunroof open again having spent years with them shut and the AC on; and b) because even on those days when I really need the AC on my journey profile should still allow me to do most of my mileage on EV mode.

4) We have couple of Fords near us which I occasionally used to drive through in the Disco (admittedly mainly because it's fun :lol: ). Not any more - thankfully I checked this in the manual and the advice is quite clear - do not drive through flooded roads . It would be interesting to hear from any existing owners on this forum with any experience of this - the handbook is after all littered with disclaimers and 'don't dos' so maybe this is just another case of Mitsubishi being overly cautious :?:

4) is curious for a 4x4 vehicle - albeit an SUV... They quote a wading depth of 400mm on the Mitsubishi website - Would that be deep enough for these Fords?

R

There are videos on YouTube (from Australia I think) of outlander PHEVs driving along rivers. The warning is probably Mitsubishi just being overly cautious.

Back