2019 Outlander charger

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kesto

Don't bother spending that much. Drive for 6 months or a year, see how many times a month you need it. The 2019 is a much better car than my 2016. More efficient. Currently in this weather I am getting 31 miles on EV . And I have achieved 55mpg if driving at 57 mph and 44 mpg at normal driving , I regularly do 150 motorway miles single journey per week.

A decent type 2 to type 1 cable should cost about £125. I got one recently from Amazon. I use mine virtually every day, but it depends on your potential usage obviously!

I don't have a box. Again with charger which came with car charges from normal socket ie 10A it takes 5 hrs. If you get box 16A. it will take 3.5hrs. Not much difference. Even if you return home by 11pm your car will be charged by 4 am. So why waste money!. You are going to sleep for at least 7 hrs I suppose .Yes if your are back home in day time for 3.5 hrs and have to go back in afternoon, then I think box is ok. Also I don't use Chademo, used when it was free 2016 , only couple of times and abandoned it soon. You can only get 18 miles from Chademo. Now you have to pay , not worth it. The 18 miles would soon disappear on motorway.

My view was to get a 7.2kW charge point fitted whilst there's still a Government grant that'll pay for 75% of it. Yes it's not a massive advantage for an Outlander PHEV that you charge for 5 hours overnight, but my next car may well have a bigger battery and won't be possible to charge fully from a 13A socket overnight. And by then the grant may have stopped.

Also if you use pre-heat, the heater takes about 4kW for 10 minutes. If you're using the standard charger, you won't be able to put in more than about 2.4kW so will take a few miles off your range. A 3.6kW charger can almost keep up, so it doesn't reduce it by much at all.

And finally - if you park outside on a driveway you can have a dedicated fully weatherproof charge setup right next to your car, rather than possibly having to use an extension lead with risk of overheating due to high load on a socket for many hours.

Having said that, there are many people who have used nothing but the standard charger for many years with no issues - it's all personal choice. There is no right or wrong in this question.

Hi, nog that I have the car for 4 months, I can conclude that most of the charging can be done with the standard charger at 10A. I didn’t bother to have a higher Amp rated to be installed in the garage. This as charging times would not be that much better.

However after a makeover of the electric setup here, we have the option to go to 3x20 at the garage, if needed for a BEV (supposed the can also accommodate the dogs, and are interesting from a price perspective)

But it all depends on your driving pattern.
A type 1 to type 2 cable is handy to have, just in case you can charge at at store where you would be anyhow, like IKEA.
Then it’s just to keep driving electrical, not such a cost benefit considering the avg.mpg .

Olga007 said:
So I have decided that I am going to buy the 2019 oultlander. I was told the vehicle has 1 cable to charge the car at home and that I will need to buy a different cable to able me to charge the car at stations point. I spoke to the Mitshubishi dealer and they've told me that particular cable cost around £400.

Is that right? Do I really need to spend another £400 on the top? Surely the stations must have the cables needed for me to charge the car.
Thanks guys if you could reply to my enquiry
You'd only be using the stations for one of three reasons:
1.Some are free
2.Some will gain you a (free or otherwise unavailable) parking spot
3.For the novelty, which will be gone within the month.

I got a cable thrown into the sale for free by my dealer. I rarely use it.

jdsx said:
A decent type 2 to type 1 cable should cost about £125. I got one recently from Amazon. I use mine virtually every day, but it depends on your potential usage obviously!

@jdsx - Can you please provide a link to the specific product you're talking about?

We already had a charger for SWMBO's Zoe, so I was using the granny cable to charge. During last summer's heatwave the plug started getting very hot, so we decided to get a proper cable if the granny's marginal. I didn't try Amazon, but I got mine from these people after looking around for a good deal, but not the cheapest as I wanted something that would last. I've used it every day since without issue, so I'd recommend them. The prices do fluctuate, so you might get a better deal if you wait. I bought a 32A cable, but the chances of anyone else releasing a new Type 1 charged EV in the UK are small, so now I'd save myself the £10-odd and get a 16A cable [Edit]The price difference is now much closer than when I bought mine, so I guess more people are buying the 16A cable[/Edit]

https://cablesforcharging.com/product-category/type-2-type-1/

The only times I've charged away from home was occasionally using Chademo, where the cable to supply 50kW is hard-wired into the charger and an 80% charge takes 20-25 minutes. Be aware that using a type 2 charger on anything more than a 7kW post is likely to incur the wrath of BEV drivers who can charge at a much higher rate than our 3.5kW and often need the electricity to get home - with our ICE we can get home without charging and we'd take 3 hours to get a 25-mile charge in the time that 6 BEVs could each theoretically get a 100-mile charge

There is also the consideration that a portable EVSE (your granny cable) doesn’t have the same safety considerations as a proper installed EVSE. The earth being used is the same as the house earth and you’re effectively extending your equipotential zone outside, where it isn’t.
There’s good reasons why the type of earth your house has and the locality of exposed metalwork etc. needs to be surveyed before installation, and it’s not because of the EVSE, it’s due to attaching mains to a big metal thing sat on insulators.
It’s unlikely that there will be a problem and therefore everything will be fine, personally I don’t fancy electrocution (again) and the possibility of death. Just do it properly.

TSayles said:
@jdsx - Can you please provide a link to the specific product you're talking about?

Sorry, missed your question. I got this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...k works, you might have to copy and paste...]

Back