Questions about used 2014 model

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narcophev

Hi all,
I'm seriously considering getting a used 2014 aspire with just under 60000km on it, however the car is at a dealer a couple of days drive away so I am planning on buying it and getting it shipped up.
Apart from the usual things to ask them to check is there anything specific to the phev I should quiz them about?
I know I should ask for a battery health check, I've read a few posts about the exhaust sometimes needing replacing, is that a common issue?
Do I need to get the wifi password to use the app? if I don't get this, is there anyway to reset it?
is there a way to set the rate of charge? any 3rd party charger that does this?
I've currently got a 2012 prius that I love, anyone here moved from a prius to the phev? how did you find it?

reasons for considering it:
getting into camping a bit with the family, the extra space and towing ability could be handy.
our daily commute is <20km round trip and this is ~90% of the driving we do.
we've got solar and I work from home so I can setup the charging during the day to soak up the excess production.

Thanks for your time :)

narcophev said:
Hi all,
I'm seriously considering getting a used 2014 aspire with just under 60000km on it, however the car is at a dealer a couple of days drive away so I am planning on buying it and getting it shipped up.
Apart from the usual things to ask them to check is there anything specific to the phev I should quiz them about?
I know I should ask for a battery health check, I've read a few posts about the exhaust sometimes needing replacing, is that a common issue?
You don't mention where you're from and where the car is. Since you've mentioned the Aspire, I'm guessing that you're here in Australia.

I haven't heard about any exhaust problems in Australia, problems with the rear brake calipers (for the handbrake) sound more common here.

narcophev said:
Do I need to get the wifi password to use the app? if I don't get this, is there anyway to reset it?
Yes, you need the SSID and the password to be provided by the dealer. (Or another dealer).

narcophev said:
is there a way to set the rate of charge? any 3rd party charger that does this?

No. In Australia, the charging box that is supplied with the car only charges at a little below 10 amps.
This is quite weird, because the manual recommends a dedicated 15 amp circuit, and the charging box comes with a 15 amp plug on it.

narcophev said:
I've currently got a 2012 prius that I love, anyone here moved from a prius to the phev? how did you find it?

I've never had a Prius, but the main differences between the PHEV and the Prius are:
Interior size; boot space; being able to charge from a power point; and, the distance you can travel as an electric vehicle.

For example, I use $40 worth of fuel per year, because the car forces me to. Everything else, for me, is electric.

narcophev said:
reasons for considering it:
getting into camping a bit with the family, the extra space and towing ability could be handy.
our daily commute is <20km round trip and this is ~90% of the driving we do.
we've got solar and I work from home so I can setup the charging during the day to soak up the excess production.

Thanks for your time :)

My pleasure. Hopefully you'll get a nice shiny one like mine.

PS. Make sure the dealer doesn't nick the rear cargo blind. (It is not an optional extra on the Aspire) Mine tried to do that and I made a fuss until they gave it back. That's the reason why that dealer doesn't get any further business from me.

That was my exhaust that came off; it is quite uncommon, but check the front flange for corrosion.
The dealer can provide the WiFi password, ask him to get the youngest mechanic to set it up for you. Enjoy the car. It is robust, reliable and smooth.

Don’t know if you can get a Myenergi Zappi charger in Australia but it adapts the charge rate to use your solar export...
We had a 2006 Prius. If you like hypermiling in it you are well set to get the best out of an outlander - light foot etc. Also using b0 for gliding is so much easier than pulse and glide in a Prius. It should be an easy transition.
Cheers
H

Hypermiler said:
Don’t know if you can get a Myenergi Zappi charger in Australia but it adapts the charge rate to use your solar export...
We had a 2006 Prius. If you like hypermiling in it you are well set to get the best out of an outlander - light foot etc. Also using b0 for gliding is so much easier than pulse and glide in a Prius. It should be an easy transition.
Cheers
H
nice, thanks! yeah i like the mini game of hypermiling while driving, i tried the pulse glide technique but it's too hard to find the sweet spot (no motor use or regen) in the gen 3 prius, so i just settle for light motor use or light regen if there's a stop coming up.
is there anything you miss from the prius going to the phev? i know i'm going to miss the heads up display, but it looks like you can get after market ones the plug into the OBD2 port.

aaaaand bought one, missed the one I was originally looking at but found an arctic silver 2014 aspire with only 42k kms and factory warranty till november. you may now chant 'One of us, one of us, one of us!' :D

narcophev said:
aaaaand bought one, missed the one I was originally looking at but found an arctic silver 2014 aspire with only 42k kms and factory warranty till november. you may now chant 'One of us, one of us, one of us!' :D

Only 42,000km? That's pretty good for a 5 year old car! Congratulations, and welcome to the club! :D

haha, so the dealer for the first one I was looking at just offered it for 3k less that the silver one, so now getting a white 2014 with 55k kms.

reallyedbrown said:
narcophev said:

Only 42,000km? That's pretty good for a 5 year old car! Congratulations, and welcome to the club! :D

Heheheh...

Mine has less than that on the clock.

:lol:

Back