Servicing cost

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojtur

Hi

I am planning to buy Outlander PHEV but am considering running and meintanance costs for the car. The servicing costs in the dealrship seem very expensive. Do you know if the outlander can be serviced at none Mitsubitchi authorised dealership and have the car guarantee intact?

Thanks

Wojtur

No it cannot. This is a computer on wheels. The traditional part of the service is simple; the electronic part requires factory training and specific software. Using non-authorized service will invalidate the guaranty. Most non-authorized service points won't touch the car in any case. They have an aversion to their mechanics being electrocuted.

You don't say where you're based. In the EU, manufacturers have to support vehicles being serviced at non-dealer sites. But if you want to keep your warranty, you have to be able to prove that any work done and any parts replaced were of a similar or better quality than manufacturer's standards. Plus as jaapv says, you'll miss out on any updates to the software

You're spending many thousands buying a very complicated piece of kit and then you want to save a hundred or so by scrimping on a service :roll:

Indeed. That burden of proof makes it rather unwise to have a car - any car- in guaranty serviced by Kwik-Fit.

I am based in the UK.

I have enquired with a couple of dealers one replied with this pricing schedule:
Service 2 - £330.18
Service 3 - £631.33
Service 4 - £330.18
Service 5 - £487.93

And the other one actually suggested to go to a third party:
To keep the warranty intact, the car just needs to have services at the correct intervals (Every 12,500 miles or yearly)
The service just needs to be done at a VAT registered garage.

I wouldn't go to Kwik-Fit to change a tyre on my bicycle!

I know a couple of hi-tech garages where I live, will enquire with them. Doing some online research I found that EU law requires car manufacturers to release their service schedule manuals so other service providers can do them too. So it is plausible that some garage with proper tech can do this.

I am buying a used car which means I can not get the 3 year service deal for £500+ that is usualy offered to the new car buyers. Oh well will start a piggy bank to collect the pennies.

Since the warranty on ours expired, I've dropped back to oil-change services - which Halfords are prepared to do at a couple of hundred quid a time.

maby said:
Since the warranty on ours expired, I've dropped back to oil-change services - which Halfords are prepared to do at a couple of hundred quid a time.

You might want to think about the fact that the main battery warranty is now 8 years.

A couple of hundred quid for an oil change? That is a rip-off - it is two-thirds of a regular service. At Kwik-Fit over here it is 114 Euro - which I still find expensive.

maby said:
What could possibly go wrong? It's not as if the car is very complex with unique features, is it? :roll:

I am based in Leeds UK. I paid £500 for three year service contract. They even pick up for free and drop back

Back