PHEV life span?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdel

I suspect many prospective and current owners have concerns about the battery life: with an 8 year warranty I'm expecting the design intention is ~10years.

Anybody needed a main battery replaced, mileage and age?

And..

What's the highest mileage and oldest PHEV on the Forum?

I'm guessing no one has had main battery issues!

What's the highest mileage?

I don't have the highest mileage on the forum (maybe even the lowest at this time, the car is just two days old :mrgreen: )
But I see a lot of second hand Outlanders for sale with more than 200.000km. More should be possible, I intend to drive mine a lot further than that and I'm quite confident this is possible.

i was wondering how many would be needed, I have 1 x 100 watt on my caravan - maybe if it it's connected to all week? I am sure I will start to get the hang of these charging equations.

Not really seeing such high mileage vehicles here in the UK?

Is such mileage common on other cars in the Netherlands?

I'm just trying to get as much information as possible before buying - I guess battery range is key. But really most of my trips are relatively short - take kid to pool in the next town sort of thing. until I start towing that is.

But really I would hope to keep this car for probably 7 years,

No, you don't need that many to feed your PHEV, as 3500 Wp will suffice - provided the sun is shining and you are not charging at night ;) In that case you would need storage, which in our country means sell back to the grid, preferably at the same price that you pay per kWh.
My remark was a friendly windup. People over here will balance their total electricity bill with the capacity of the solar panels on their roof. In my case 19 at home and 14 at work for a total of 14500 Wp.
FYI, mine is six years/130.000 km old and basically, apart from minor range loss, in the order of 10-15%, as good as new. I fully expect to run it for ten years and hopefully fifteen.

Anyway, if you are starting out on this journey, Mitsubishi Dendo Drive House might be of interest to you as a total electric energy solution:

https://newmobility.news/2019/06/13/mitsubishi-to-market-dendo-drive-house-solution/

jaapv said:
Just 14 panels? :p
Be kind, i'm a newbee at this :D
The sunny side of my roof is 14 panels large, apart from the windows. Maybe I will fit some on the garage in the future, not sure yet. Let's see what the first 14 will bring. If calculations are correct I should be able to charge the Outlander daily and have some capacity left to power the vacuüm cleaner ;)

I had 4kWp panels installed in 2011, which have produced a maximum of 3.7kW and upto 30kWh in a day. However the converse of that is that I have had over 30% of days where they have produced less than 1kWh. In the UK, the PHEV won't even start charging till it's receiving 1.5kW, which my panels can only produce between 9am and 6pm in mid-summer. I'm lucky that the PHEV is mostly home during the day, so I've set the charge time to be between those times. But unless you have something like a Zappi charger, it will take most of its power from the mains anyway.

ThudnBlundr said:
I had 4kWp panels installed in 2011, which have produced a maximum of 3.7kW and upto 30kWh in a day. However the converse of that is that I have had over 30% of days where they have produced less than 1kWh. In the UK, the PHEV won't even start charging till it's receiving 1.5kW, which my panels can only produce between 9am and 6pm in mid-summer. I'm lucky that the PHEV is mostly home during the day, so I've set the charge time to be between those times. But unless you have something like a Zappi charger, it will take most of its power from the mains anyway.
No issue here, during the day I sell the produced power back to the grid, at night I use power from the grid to charge the car. Price for buying and selling is the same. For now at least, never sure what the future brings.

If only :roll: We get 3p per kWh for export. And because there is seldom an export meter, they deem that export is 50% of production regardless of how much or little you use. There's a sub-industry in the UK selling kit that measures the actual export and diverts 99% of that power to an immersion heater. It may be inefficient, but it's financially a winner as you're getting "free" energy :roll:

KWh said:
No issue here, during the day I sell the produced power back to the grid, at night I use power from the grid to charge the car. Price for buying and selling is the same. For now at least, never sure what the future brings.
The same here. You're on Greenchoice as well I suppose?
As soon as one gets solar panels, the meter is exchanged for a "smart meter", assuming it is not already installed.

jaapv said:
KWh said:
The same here. You're on Greenchoice as well I suppose?
As soon as one gets solar panels, the meter is exchanged for a "smart meter", assuming it is not already installed.
Yes Greenchoice here as well. Smart meter is already installed, charging station for the Outlander as well. I've gone future proof on the charging station, it can go up to 22kWh. Just waiting for the solar panels now and then I'm done investing for a while ;)

Back