Questions before buying in Netherlands

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexBorro

My name is Alex, I'm living in The Netherlands since the beginning of 2019 with my family (wife and 2 kids) and planning to buy a PHEV.
A friend of mine has an Outlander and told me nice things about it..

My budget is only enough to get a 2014 or 2015 car, but I think I will have fun with it.

After reading a lot about this amazing car in this forum, I have a few questions. I will be glad if you guys help me sort them out.

1- What is the average fuel consumption for long travels on regular speeds like 100Km/h ? I don't want to take the battery energy into account. Of course I just want a ballpark figure since many thing could have influence.
2- I have read that the battery has 8 years warranty. Is there a km limit as well? What would be the trigger to request a replacement?
3- Since this is my first car in NL, I'm planning to buy from a Mitsubishi authorized dealer and will request the SOH report. What should I consider "good" for a 2014/15 car?
4- How much does it cost the regular maintenance in authorized dealers? Are these maintenance suppose to be done each 10.000km?
5- Any regular issue/problem in this car I should be aware of?
6- For those in NL, could you please recommend a good authorized dealer?

Cheers and sorry too many noob questions..

Alex.

1: Calculate about 13km/l for the use you describe, 11km/l for faster motorway runs. If you load fully and add a skibox, or are towing, obviously it will drop a bit as well. With these cars driving technique has more impact on economy that with the average car.
2. Battery replacement is extremely rare and a hassle. Having a good and cooperative dealer is essential. But if you buy a healthy 2014/2015 car it is extremely unlikely that you will need to worry.
3. It depends on the mileage. Trust the dealer you buy from (or run away :mrgreen: )
4. Maintenance is every 20.000 and about 500 Euro, fixed rate by Mitsubishi.
5. No known issues. These cars are very reliable and long-lived.
6. I don't know where you live, but my first choice for a used car would be Mekenkamp in Bunnik (near Utrecht) I have good experiences with Romar in Hellevoetsluis and Spijkenisse as well.

One thing: don't make the mistake that I see so often on this forum.
This is not a full electric vehicle. It is a hybrid with recharging capability. That means that there are compromises, like the use of the combustion engine from time to time when the driver wouldn't expect and desire it, a slight lag before full power kicks in, a shortish full EV range, etc. However, the advantages of silent, smooth and effortless driving, versatility, space and convenience, 4WD and no range anxiety far outweigh the disadvantages IMO. In the end, it remains a (partially) petrol-driven two-ton hybrid SUV with the aerodynamics of a brick which cannot compete on economical use with sleek diesel motorway cruisers unless you make full use of the advantages of electrical (sub)urban pottering around.

Thanks jaapv, your comments are very welcome!

I live in Culemborg, so this dealer in Bunnik is just 30 minutes far from me. In January I will be back from vacations and I will pay them a visit to check out the available cars for sale.

Regarding your comments about the car, I completely agree.
As a little background, I'm looking for a car to travel with my family. I don't need the car for a daily basis use, since we cycle to work/school.
The main use will be traveling and small trips in the city, like shopping in rainy days.

The ideia is using the EV mode in the city and petrol for traveling.
Like you said, it has the same aerodynamics as a brick, which is not good on the road. But as an electric/software engineer, I like these electric "toys", especially the hybrid series ones. The regular hybrid (parallel only) cars have a very limited electric experience. The Outlander PHEV is most the viable (affordable) hybrid series I could find.

Pure electric cars like Tesla have constrains for traveling - specially outside NL and are very expensive.
A regular petrol/hybrid sedan car will fit my traveling needs with less fuel consumption but then I will miss the EV "toy".

In the end I think Outlander PHEV has a good compromise: Nice space for traveling with family, very economical in the city (EV only), moderately expensive on the road and I can play with an EV car.

By the way, is there any website describing the main features of different models?
As far as I could realize, for 2014 and 2015 there are the models Instyle, Instyle X-Line, Executive X-Line, Business X-Line, Limited X-Line. It would be nice to check what accessories each version has.

Cheers

Alex.

You can mention my name to Mekenkamp - Jaap will suffice- ;)
I would go for the highest specification. I have the Instyle+ and am happy with the package. Heated seats, some extra safety accessories, etc. Make sure you get one with electric heating and avoid the "Business" editions. They are stripped to get the lease as low as possible.

I agree with Jaap, choose the full option one (the Instyle Plus, recognisable by the adaptive cruise control button on the right side on the steering wheel).
The Outlander PHEV is an excellent choice for a city car and the occasional longer trip.

Hi Alex
I have a pdf of the Dutch 2014 model if it's any use (Business/Executive/Instyle/Instyle+). Pm me if you would like me to send it to you. I think it's too big to send as an attachment but I'm sure I can use wetransfer or some such...

Back