Fuel economy round the town in Hybrid Mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwooldridge

Hi all

I am thinkning about buying a second hand Phev the problem i have is that i do not have any charging points outside or near to my house, so it will mainly be used in Hybrid mode, does any one have any idea on what fuel economy i can expect?

I have read on other sites that long journeys and motorways i might get up to 40Mpg but this car will be mainly used for City driving so will hopefully be able to use some electricity created by braking.

Many Thanks

Alan

alanwooldridge said:
Hi all

I am thinkning about buying a second hand Phev the problem i have is that i do not have any charging points outside or near to my house, so it will mainly be used in Hybrid mode, does any one have any idea on what fuel economy i can expect?

I have read on other sites that long journeys and motorways i might get up to 40Mpg but this car will be mainly used for City driving so will hopefully be able to use some electricity created by braking.

Many Thanks

Alan

I have had my PHEV since 2014 and its done 73K miles - for the first couple of years I regularly did 250mile motorway trips once a week now its only used for local transport up to 60 miles round trip.
Motorway - starting with a fully charged battery it would give 37 to 42 MPG
Local - again starting fully charged could be as much as 50mpg.
But if you are not able to charge from a Socket ( I have a 16Amp charge point which give a full charge in 3hrs from zero ) you will not gain anything from regen - you will be driving with the engine running most of the time and your MPG will drop to 25 - 30....
Charging using the engine stationary is not efficient use of the fuel either....

I use a works PHEV occasionally, and it is on charge there. When i take it, with full tank of fuel, I use SAVE mode, and I get about regularly get 4litre/100 kms. Which is the aussie way of saying about 70 mpg. I do drive it like a pussy though, very very rarely accellerate hard enough to make the ICE boost the output.

Regenerative braking doesn't charge the battery much.

The only time I've significantly charged the battery in that fashion, was on a very long downhill from a mountain to the sea.

I think you'll be very disappointed with the fuel economy if you never charge the battery.

Hi Alan

What is your average city mileage travelled?

Ideally the PHEV should start the day charged, do about 20 miles all on battery, and come home with at worst about 5 miles of charge left, before overnight charging for the next day's journey.

And it will be able to do occasional journeys of hundreds of miles using battery and petrol, which gives about 40mpg for the miles on petrol, for maybe 60% of the journey

Otherwise if you can't charge at home you might as well get a modern petrol/diesel car that does 60mpg.

Back