2018 Outlander SEL PHEV vs 2016 Ford Energi C-Max. Opinion?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenBen

Overall I’m leaning towards the Outlander. The C-Max had a very roomy interior that was very nice and unfussy. My son who will be a frequent passenger is super tall, and the C-Max fit him better.

I prefer the cargo space in the Outlander by a mile. I think I prefer nearly everything about the Outlander - but suddenly I’m not sure.

My main concern is stability on slick roads. I’m worried about the Outlander skidding around on the road. Is the C-Max more stable at hwy speeds vs the C-Max?

Thanks for any insights!

I have no experiance of the C-max so can't compare but the Outlander is probably the most stable car I have ever driven due to the very low centre of gravity produced by the weight of the battery under the floor. I assume many plug-in hybrids & EVs are the same, although the C max has its battery behind the rear seats, so would be possibly less stable than the Outlander. :idea:

More importantly - the PHEV has an effective anti-yaw system. It is an exceedingly stable car, better than most.
Having said that, any car, 4WD or not, stable or not, will turn into a sleigh if you lose traction on a slippery road. The Mitsubishi weighs two tons - quite a bit of mass if you lose it. So winter tyres are most useful.

Your grip depends heavily on your choice of tyres, and driving behaviour.

If you run bald tyres in wet weather, you deserve what happens to you.

I've never hears so much as a squeak, from either the original Mitsubishi tyres, or the GY Eagle LS2s that I replaced them with.

I have been driving a 2018 Outlander PHEV for just over two years. Prior, I drove a 2013 C-Max for 5 years. The C-max had about 150 miles on average greater range. Lifetime mileage was 37 for the C-Max and 27.2 so far for the Outlander. Same driving routes/weather.
I prefer the Outlander overall. I'm tall and had enough space in the Ford, but prefer greater clearance and easier entry...68 years old.
I liked the electronics on the C-Max somewhat more.
The four wheel drive is a plus in my work as I need to be off-road at times.

Both are fine cars but will stick with Outlander after this one.

AlexBorro said:
A 4WD car/SUV is a lot more stable than a 2WD at the same conditions.
I don't know C-Max, but comparing specs, the Outlander surpass it in all specs.
As long as it's got the right tyres on ;) I got rear-ended by a Range-Rover on summer tyres when I was using winter tyres on my Honda Stream. They braked at the top of the hill when they saw a queue of stationary traffic at the bottom and glided gracefully all the way down with full ABS into the back of me. I'd not had a problem stopping at the back of the queue of traffic

Well actually it's the coefficient of friction between the tyres and the surface, but the number of driven wheels has no impact on that when braking. Sadly that's something that many 4WD owners fail to realise here in the UK :roll:

Back