Picking up 18/19 2.4L PHEV next week What should I look for?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philgb4

Hi all,

Joined this forum as a new member as they're always great source of independent information in relation to the car.
Hoping some of you could point me in the right direction for advice out what I should be looking out for when I pick up a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 2.4L 4h next week. I've been told it has a protection pack in place and I guess I'm therefore expecting door sill plates, mats and mud flaps. It only has one previous owner and out 8500 miles on the clock and in Pearl white.

Never had an Ev car before so don't really know of any specific questions to ask.

Any guidance or advice would be fantastic
Thanks in advance.

You don't state a location, so I don't know what a "protection pack" means where you are, but here in Canada it is an extra cost dealer service that includes special treatments on the paint and upholstery to protect from stains and minor damage. In my case it includes repair of minor dents and scratches for the life of the warranty. The sill plates and mats are extras that can be bought in addition to the protection pack.

BCbackroader said:
You don't state a location, so I don't know what a "protection pack" means where you are, but here in Canada it is an extra cost dealer service that includes special treatments on the paint and upholstery to protect from stains and minor damage. In my case it includes repair of minor dents and scratches for the life of the warranty. The sill plates and mats are extras that can be bought in addition to the protection pack.

Apologies Backroader, UK owner over here. The protection pack here includes the door sills, boot liner, mud flaps and floor mats I believe. It was obviously purchased as an extra to the car when bought brand new.

Are there any things I should be asking my dealer or problems I should be looking out for?

When picking up that car check that you are given the wireless password. It's a real pain if you don't get it.

Also check that the tyre repair kit and electric pump are present in the well under the boot floor (you will need to lift it up completely).

You should get a wheel lock nut. And the manuals for the car and the multimedia system. If the car is covered by a 3 year service plan that should transfer to you too so get any documentation on that.

You didn't say how you were gong to charge the car. Unless you have a tethered home charger you are going to need a charging cable as one doesn't generally come with the car. Plenty of advice on here about cables if you search.

Other than that, I hope you let the car do its computerised thing, sit back and enjoy the ride. I do.

rgilyead said:
When picking up that car check that you are given the wireless password. It's a real pain if you don't get it.

Also check that the tyre repair kit and electric pump are present in the well under the boot floor (you will need to lift it up completely).

You should get a wheel lock nut. And the manuals for the car and the multimedia system. If the car is covered by a 3 year service plan that should transfer to you too so get any documentation on that.

You didn't say how you were gong to charge the car. Unless you have a tethered home charger you are going to need a charging cable as one doesn't generally come with the car. Plenty of advice on here about cables if you search.

Other than that, I hope you let the car do its computerised thing, sit back and enjoy the ride. I do.

Thanks for the advice. Definitely questions I would not have thought of asking.
Temporarily I will be installing a normal 13A three pin UK single socket outside.
We are eligible for a grant in the UK to get a proper home charger installed. At a cost from £350.
I have enquired about the charging lead already and have been told it does come with a 10A lead that can plug into a normal three pin socket(provides a full charge in approximately 8 hours apparently)
We will be looking at getting a 16A charger installed in the house (full charge stated at 3.5 hours).

Any other tips or hints would be handy?
I heard people mention about checking battery performance?

Great news, strangely I received a phone call this afternoon from my Motability Dealer new Outlander Design PHEV in pearl white next week, no extras. I have already ordered a set of HEKO wind deflectors.

I shall make sure wireless key, wheel security key and tyre repair kit, ideally I need a spare wheel as I tow a caravan.

Looks like that puts us both in the same boat then.
Same colour for me.
Took it for a test drive the other day and I am certainly impressed by how quiet it drives and the ride comfort is incredible.

"I heard people mention about checking battery performance?"

Yes people worry about that but I believe all UK cars have a very good battery performance guarantee so you can get a replacement if it falls below a certain level. See here: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/owners/warranty#:~:text=Outlander%20PHEV%20has%20an%208,to%203%20years%2F62%2C500%20miles.

rgilyead said:
"I heard people mention about checking battery performance?"

Yes people worry about that but I believe all UK cars have a very good battery performance guarantee so you can get a replacement if it falls below a certain level. See here: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/owners/warranty#:~:text=Outlander%20PHEV%20has%20an%208,to%203%20years%2F62%2C500%20miles.

Thanks for the advice. Is there a way you can check the battery level/deterioration?

The dealer selling the car should be able to provide a battery condition report and explain it to you. Personally I would not buy a used car without one. OTOH a low-mileage young car should be OK.

jaapv said:
The dealer selling the car should be able to provide a battery condition report and explain it to you. Personally I would not buy a used car without one. OTOH a low-mileage young car should be OK.

Good luck with that, especially if you are in London. In my experience is they can't/won't do it. I'm afraid jaapv is in the Netherlands where dealers seem to be more cooperative. :evil:

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

Good luck with that, especially if you are in London. In my experience is they can't/won't do it. I'm afraid jaapv is in the Netherlands where dealers seem to be more cooperative. :evil:

I'm not far from London but I'll email the dealer and ask the question. Got to be worth a try, right?

Philgb4 said:
greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

I'm not far from London but I'll email the dealer and ask the question. Got to be worth a try, right?

Of course, and with more cars coming on to the resale market, the more potential customers press for it, the more likely the dealers will have to cooperate - especially in current circumstances. :ugeek:

Good luck with that, especially if you are in London. In my experience is they can't/won't do it. I'm afraid jaapv is in the Netherlands where dealers seem to be more cooperative. :evil:[/quote]

I'm not far from London but I'll email the dealer and ask the question. Got to be worth a try, right?[/quote]

Of course, and with more cars coming on to the resale market, the more potential customers press for it, the more likely the dealers will have to cooperate - especially in current circumstances. :ugeek:[/quote]

I'm going to email the dealer today and press them to ensure they have it in place before I pick the car up on Thursday. I've already pressed them quite hard on some issues but would rather be safe than sorry.

Philgb4 said:
Looks like that puts us both in the same boat then.
Same colour for me.
Took it for a test drive the other day and I am certainly impressed by how quiet it drives and the ride comfort is incredible.

Same here, nothing like the press report, I going to book in and arrange my towbar fitting.

Quote "I have enquired about the charging lead already and have been told it does come with a 10A lead that can plug into a normal three pin socket(provides a full charge in approximately 8 hours apparently)
We will be looking at getting a 16A charger installed in the house (full charge stated at 3.5 hours)."

10Amp v 16Amp figures don't compute.

My 12KWh (9KWh useable ) PHEV charges from low in about 3.5 hours with a 16Amp installation.
The 10A Plug-in "Granny Charger" supplied with the car takes about 5 hours.
So overnight Economy 7 charging with the 10Amp unit is maybe all you need.

I installed a 32Amp (configured to 16Amp) unit to future proof to an extent and to take advantage of 3 hours of daytime Off-Peak between 1300 and 1600 plus 35KW of EV panels.

Really cheap charging on a good day !

michael8554 said:
Quote "I have enquired about the charging lead already and have been told it does come with a 10A lead that can plug into a normal three pin socket(provides a full charge in approximately 8 hours apparently)
We will be looking at getting a 16A charger installed in the house (full charge stated at 3.5 hours)."

10Amp v 16Amp figures don't compute.

My 12KWh (9KWh useable ) PHEV charges from low in about 3.5 hours with a 16Amp installation.
The 10A Plug-in "Granny Charger" supplied with the car takes about 5 hours.
So overnight Economy 7 charging with the 10Amp unit is maybe all you need.

I installed a 32Amp (configured to 16Amp) unit to future proof to an extent and to take advantage of 3 hours of daytime Off-Peak between 1300 and 1600 plus 35KW of EV panels.

Really cheap charging on a good day !

Thanks Mike. I was just quoting the mitsubishi numbers. If it charges quicker than that then it's a bonus I guess.

You're absolutely right though is I can get a full charge done for 5 hours then I'll probably just stick at that.
I will probably get a proper lead though so when I'm out and about I can plug it in at train stations, parking, bp garages etc. What lead would I normally need for that?

Type1-type2. Those cables are not cheap and charging at commercial points makes little economic sense. So the question is how long it will take to earn the price of the cable back from charging at free points.

jaapv said:
Type1-type2. Those cables are not cheap and charging at commercial points makes little economic sense. So the question is how long it will take to earn the price of the cable back from charging at free points.

I see your point. I suppose it would make sense to have it included in the cost of the car, but I suppose the biggest bonus is not necessarily the charging of it but also the fact round my way (close to London) you get priority parking as an EV.

I have found a lead 32a for approximately £120.

https://cablesforcharging.com/product/type-1-type-2-charging-cable-32a/

Back