2020 vs 2021 PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonzilla

Hi guys new here, :)

I'm currently shopping for this vehicle but I need a little help deciding if I should wait or snag a great deal on the older 2020 model. Planning on a 12k 36month lease.

I understand the changes like a slightly bigger battery for avg 30etc. miles in EV mode vs 22 miles. Larger 2.4 engine and electric motor all for extra punch and torque hence the lager battery. According to Mitsubishi this 4th quarter.

Either one will suit my needs for work and back with the engine never kicking in. The deals on these 2020's are great but how far off you guys think the deals with the 2021's will have? Unless you guys know something I don't know, should I pay extra for the 2021 or is it not that much off from the 2020 price.

My lease on my Kia Hybrid is up soon I want to turn it in early and take advantage of the equity I have.

Any help is much appreciated.

Assuming this is UK, then those changes you mention, bigger battery and engine, came in with 19MY (18 reg) cars. I wouldn't expect much change between a 20 and 21 car, maybe some trim and features but nothing substantial.
The change you mention is relevant to US, and maybe other, markets.

Yes I'm in the US. So do you think its worth the wait or get a great deal on the 2.0 engine an 12 kwh battery?

Ah ok.
I have owned two of these - a UK 16MY (old spec) and now a 19MY (new spec). Go for the new one, no question. Along with the bigger battery and motors/ICE there are host of other improvements making it a fundamentally better car. See if you can test drive both to feel the difference.

That's really good to know, you have first hand knowledge that it's worth the wait.

A side note.
I was a little concerned about how awkwardly low the exhaust piping is on the 2020. Like its easily visible standing a few feet away, ground clearance may be an issue.

Did they do something with that on the newer gen?

It's unchanged, but I haven't managed to hit mine yet !
It's certainly not a serious off roader from a clearance point of view, but the traction does seem good on poor surfaces.

I got an offer for 2020 SEL for $295 tax included a month on a 12k 36 mo lease. Only $1500 down.

Its tempting but I just don't think I would ever see that on a 2021 anytime soon. I just don't know enough about the changes on the 2021 vs 2020 . Then again its just a lease. It should do just fine to and from work on one charge.

I would personally wait for the 2021 Outlander PHEV.
Given all the upgraded electronic safety features (lane departure warning/prevention, adaptive cruise etc etc) it's worth waiting for it.
The current model look/design is also somewhat dated. The 2021 model's look/design is more in-line with current trends.
Given all the new features and updates, its a great vehicle to get into. I just hope they keep the Chademo DC fast charge port intact.

Sonzilla said:
I got an offer for 2020 SEL for $295 tax included a month on a 12k 36 mo lease. Only $1500 down.

Its tempting but I just don't think I would ever see that on a 2021 anytime soon. I just don't know enough about the changes on the 2021 vs 2020 . Then again its just a lease. It should do just fine to and from work on one charge.

My 2020 has all the elctroniccs... lane departure warning, accident avoidance (early braking), hi-res backup camera, 4 wheel lock for AWD to 4 wheel drive, infotainment etc.

I've heard the battery is going to have more capacity....but I can't seem to determine if my 2020 has it.... Does anybody know where or how to look for it? Remember.... North America.

Back