So I went to see this outlander today…

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlander

Hi all,
Am considering buying the Outlander really soon and went to see this this one at a car supermarket.

The spec was really good. The price was a little high for this type of car. But the condition was less than average I'd say (but Im no expert)

I've attached a few pics below and would like your thoughts on a couple of questions I have:

This car had 360 camera, is there away to cycle through all 4 cameras? (I could easily cycle through reverse and kerbside camera, but could not access the riverside camera)

Is the wiring in the engine bay normal, looks like it has been 'worked on' are all outlanders like this (numbers 1-3) Orange cable with metal mesh looks bodge too

Can the colour of the interior light be changed via the dash? The puddle lights in this car were blue, I didn't notice the colour of the interior lights

I've tried to find the difference between the 4H and 5HS models, apart from outlander on the bonnet, soft leather, what else is different?

Surface corrosion on boot locking hook, I noticed the boot lid rubber seal was loose in some areas!

Good spec but this car not for me (the front badge area looked worse in person, a few people walked past and noticed it straight away)

Attachments

• Engine2-lo.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Engine4-lo.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 145
  • boot1-lo.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 145
That's how Mitsu make them - my engine bay looks exactly the same :lol:

I'd say the boot just shows it has been well used for carrying stuff - its carrying capacity is one of its main selling points. It you don't need the space there are plenty of other hybrid or pure EVs to choose from.

BTW does your photo show a gap in the rear bumper for a tow hitch?

Thanks for your reply, so what you're saying is; it looks bodge straight from the factory haha!

I do need the boot space, I have 3 young kids to ferry around (when we're not in lockdown!) my current 20 year old 5 series has a massive boot but it's finally time for a change.

The boot pic doesn't have a gap, it's just the reflections creating optical illusions

Attached a few other pics I couldn't before (3 pic limit?)

View attachment front-lo.jpg

View attachment bumper-rear1-lo.jpg

View attachment Seat2-lo.jpg

The last picture of the edge of the seat is likely to be typical as well. The height of the car means (unless you're very tall) that you tend to slide over it as you get in or out. On my bottom of the range Gx3 the plastic seat has split there after 40k - leather probably lasts longer but will still show such creasing. ;)

All looks perfectly normal and you're being overly fussy. You're paying for the tech in this car, not the surface finish.

If it has blue puddle lights it's a 5H, possibly a 5HS. I would go for a 4HS or 5HS as the S makes insurance cheaper as it has collision detection etc.

blue leds in the puddle lights could easily be changed for a different colour if you so desire but it would mean a 'bulb' change, they are not an RGB led that can be changed via a menu or anything.

most important with car supermarket ones for sale is to check that all 4 tyres are the same and a good brand with even tread as anything else can cause regen issues.

Are you going to drive the car or display it on your mantelpiece? If it hadn't have these signs of use it would rapidly develop them.

My front grille badge looks worse than that. Mine was a 67 plate. The finish on the grille was poor, and it suffered badly from the normal road grit, winter salt, bugs, powerwashing etc.

I'm laughing at the seat photo. Most of our work vehicles had no upholstery in that area after years of heavy use. I wouldn't mind a crease or two. The surface isn't cracked or damaged from wear.

The lock looks normal, It's on the flat, so it gathers the normal dirt you'll find in a boot. If it bothers you I would suggest coating it with something like ACF50. It'll keep corrosion at bay.

littlescrote said:
All looks perfectly normal and you're being overly fussy. You're paying for the tech in this car, not the surface finish.

If it has blue puddle lights it's a 5H, possibly a 5HS. I would go for a 4HS or 5HS as the S makes insurance cheaper as it has collision detection etc.

blue leds in the puddle lights could easily be changed for a different colour if you so desire but it would mean a 'bulb' change, they are not an RGB led that can be changed via a menu or anything.

most important with car supermarket ones for sale is to check that all 4 tyres are the same and a good brand with even tread as anything else can cause regen issues.

I guess I am being very fussy, you're right. This'll be my first car bought from a trader. All previous cars were bought privately.

Appreciate your comments and good point about tyres!!

jaapv said:
Are you going to drive the car or display it on your mantelpiece? If it hadn't have these signs of use it would rapidly develop them.

Now now dear, no need for that tone ;)

I think what seems evident is that signs of use become rapidly visible. It's a shame but hasn't put me off buying one, in fact I've just put a deposit down on one, (not above car, but a 4HS model from a Mitsubishi dealer). That car also has stone chips but the dealer has offered to touch them up - Win!

Well, mine seven years old with 150.000 km on the clock, and wear is pretty limited. The leather holds up far better than the Conolly in the Jaguar I drove before, and the paint is only marked by my own scratches.

I was quite surprised that I was able to buy our 4HS from my local(ish) Mitsi dealer cheaper than an equivalent (in fact ours was the facelift so better really) one from Motorpoint car supermarket and got an exceptional price for my Shogun SG4 too. I find buying from the dealer makes them more likely to be accommodating with aftersales too. Outlander PHEV prices do seem to be at a bit of a premium at the moment.

DFW said:
I was quite surprised that I was able to buy our 4HS from my local(ish) Mitsi dealer cheaper than an equivalent (in fact ours was the facelift so better really) one from Motorpoint car supermarket and got an exceptional price for my Shogun SG4 too. I find buying from the dealer makes them more likely to be accommodating with aftersales too. Outlander PHEV prices do seem to be at a bit of a premium at the moment.

You’re right the phev models do seem to be popular at the moment. I saw an ad for low miler 2016 5hs, the Mitsu’ dealer wanted 18.5k - A bit high?

I’m picking my 4hs next week, the Mitsu’ dealer was very accommodating: new key, paint touch up, a few other things things included.

Back