Battery range in Winter

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo1820

Still not managed to collect 2nd hand PHEV due to lockdown/getting Covid but car dealer (non Mitsubishi) said battery range was only reading 11 miles when fully charged? It’s a March 2016 PHEV GX4hs, 41k miles. I‘ve asked him to check that the heater and timer for heater are switched off on the MMCS when he reads the range.
Can anyone please advise what the average range should read on this age car in Winter when it’s fully charged but only low temp or zero degrees outside? (The car is kept outside on dealer’s forecourt in Cheshire.)
I only know that when it was warmer in November the dealer said it had a fully charged range of 21miles.
Many thanks for any advice, as due to collect and pay this Saturday, 9th Jan.

As you may already be aware the range "guessometer" calculates how far a charge will take you based on recent journeys and has little to do with either the health of the battery or the actual range you would get in real life usage.

A car sat on a dealer's forecourt for several months will have had very little "real life" usage for the "guessometer" to work on. Without knowing what sort of journeys it has been taken on recently it is impossible to judge whether the 11 miles figure is valid - certainly the receny overnight sub-zero temperatures will not have helped.

Unfortunately, the only way you can check the battery is to get a main dealer to run the diagnostics, however, a 2016 car should still have an 8 year manufacturer's warranty, to give you some peace of mind.

Our 2020 has the larger battery, however, this time of year we are looking at 25/27 miles with heating off or around 16 miles with the heating on.

in the summer we were achieving around 32/34 miles on A road or 50mph on the motorway, dropped to 30 miles if travelling at 55mph and 27/28 if travelling 60mph on motorway.

In November we struggled to see more than 27/28 miles with no heating, role on the summer.

Thank you for the replies folks, the car sales dealer just called me to say he drove it around the forecourt a bit and then the battery range went up to 17 miles. But he says he can't turn off the heater timer on the MMCS - he's had technicians and himself trying to figure out for two hours this morning why the timer on the MMCS and the heating app is only allowing six days out of seven to be turned 'off'. Apparently whenever he tries to turn the heater timer off on all seven days, the computer will only allow eg. a saturday to be turned off if eg. a monday is turned on in it's place?! Has anyone else come across this before? I asked him to refer the query to their local Mitsubishi dealer in Chester - he says his manager won't pay for a diagnostic test to be done on the battery up there. We are in London and could get it done in Croydon but of course if anything major was wrong with the MMCS or the battery it'd mean then having to drive the car back upto Cheshire for a refund! The dealer is going to send me a pic of the MMCS display to post on here. It'd be great if there was a simple explanation for this as the last GX4hs we had - we were able to turn off all the days for the heater timer no problem.

Latest update - car dealer has said they will take it into a Mitsubishi dealer that has the next available diagnostics date. So we now have to wait at least a couple of weeks to find out why the MMCS timer isn't turning off all 7 days, etc. Please do let me know if anyone knows about this? I'm afraid I don't have any pics to show what the computer's saying now though, sorry.

Back