Ex fleet vs privately owned

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quercus

Hi all. Am looking to buy a 2016MY GX4H or higher, and enquiries on Auto Trader seem to show almost all are company owned. Whilst this is unsurprising due to tax breaks, should I be more wary of an ex company example than a privately owned one? And is it possible to find out if it was a lease vehicle, or worse case, a hire car with 200 less than careful users! Asked a Mitsubishi main dealer about 2 possible ones, both £15k - both were owned by the same lease company - and online reviews of said company are appalling. Should this matter if there is full SH and a year's warranty is included?

One of the car supermarkets said they could only say it was company owned due to GDPR, so no way of knowing what sort of company - is this just a way to smoke screen?

Many thanks for any tips. I had a diesel 09 plate outlander for 5 years, so know the vehicle. Also have a leaf so used to ev.

Personally I would buy from a dealer, to be reasonably sure that it has been checked expertly and has a full service history; the battery guaranty still has a few years to run. On the other hand, these cars are very well built and rarely show defects, even by careless use.
Two things I would never do: buy a car without a battery condition report or one that has not been checked for severe damage repair.

I've never seen a PHEV offered by a hire car firm - more likely Private Hire mini cab, especially in London to avoid Congestion Charge. :idea:

Thanks for replies - ah yep, taxi use makes sense. WIll definitely be buying from a dealer - would just prefer to buy one that had one careful owner who'd bought it themselaves and therefore more than likely ,mollicoddled it! One possibility is a GX5H on a 16 plate - ex 'Alphabet UK Ltd'. 57k miles and only downside is the red leather seats! :D

Well, I've had my 2014 Gx3h since new and its been mollycoddled only the extent of me paying out a small fortune for repairing all the minor damage I've inflicted on it by driving into things (more than all of the previous 50 years of motoring :oops: ) - but then, I suppose, I don't meet your definition of "careful driver" :lol:

Should be getting my 16 plate PHEV mid-week - looking forward to learning for you folk on here.

Back