PHEV range for a 2014MY and Dealer or Private sale?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkingthedog

Hi fellow EV/PHEV enthusiasts,
I have had a Mitsubishi Minicab MiEV Minivan and love it dearly but unfortunately it's not reliable enough for a work vehicle and is again currently out of action. I would like to still run predominately on electricity as we have solar and a battery at home and of course the environment.

I'm on the look out for an Outlander PHEV second hand as I will have dogs in the back, so the interior doesn't need to be in great condition and I'm hoping to pay around 20k max for one which probably means I could only get a 2014MY right? Also that means the battery will be losing it's normal charge and in 1 - 3 years will lose it's range. Does anyone know how much it could lose after that time?

Is trying to purchase a 2014MY Outlander PHEV second hand as a private sale a bad idea? Would you recommend paying the extra from a dealer so they'd service it or just get it looked at by someone who has experience working on PHEVs and go for the cheaper private sale?

Thanks in advance for your help?

Are you in the UK?

For £20k you'll get a 2018/19, just check auto trader

Also if you don't need the back seats, look for a "4 work" model, should be slightly cheaper

For £20k you could certainly have my 2014 car. :lol: But to answer your question I'm getting just over 20 miles per charge.

As far as whether a dealer or private sale is better, if it is a Mitsu dealer they would be able to answer any PHEV specific questions and fix any problems that arise after purchase. Steer clear of a non-franchise trader, as they won't have a clue as to how the car works or more importantly the software to check it before sale. Although a private seller (assuming not a trader "front") won't have the latter access either, you will get an in depth knowledge of how the car actually performs - and I would suggest PHEV owners are generally enthusiasts, so more reliable than in most second hand sales.

I'm trying to decide between a 2014/15 Outlander at under £14k, or a 2016 Toyota Verso diesel at under £10k. There is a 2014 GX4h on private sale some distance from me with just over 11k miles on the clock. Very few cars under 40k miles at under 14k. If I stretch to 60k miles, there are loads, some up to 2016. Would I get more range on battery from a 2014 Outlander with 11k miles, or a 2016 Outlander with 55k miles? Also confusing the matter, until 2016MY the warranty was 5 years, then upped to 8 years. So that means a 2014 is out of battery, while a 2016 is within warranty until 2024. Also discovered that a supplier of replacement batteries for Outlander has stopped supplying batteries from pre-2019 model year, but will do 2019 and later for £3,440 (https://www.secondlife-evbatteries.com/collections/ev-packs) - much cheaper than £5k from Mitsu (though I can't imagine who they sell them to since all 2019 batteries are still under warranty!!). Gut feelings from anyone please, would you go for the low milage 2014 Outlander or the higher milage 2016?

£20k is a massive budget for a used model. I bought my 3 year old 2016 5S in 2019 for £18k. Even at 5 years old, battery capacity should be good enough for 20 miles. It doesn't matter where you buy from, even most franchised dealers don't have a clue about them. There are a few that are very good, eg Brighton, but most know very little. so you might as well buy from anywhere and then take it to one of the more knowledgeable places IF you have a problem (which is very unlikely as they are incredibly reliable and well built).

I think its a bit misleading to describe the 2nd life batteries people as offering "replacements". It is clear they are primarily about re-using batteries from scrap vehicles, mainly in non-vehicle applications - hence the low price compared to a new item from Mitsu. :?

Back