FrancoPHEV is on the road

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancoPHEV

The wait is over. Huge thanks to Dominique and Daniel of EMC for keeping my enthusiasm going while we overcame French bureaucracy (RHD on French plates - think the 12 trials of Asterix). My Atlantic Grey GX4h was delivered this morning 3 months after my first expression of interest. An all too brief spin this afternoon will have to do until the weekend.

Working here for a few years; I might decide to settle, but not yet sure. Anyway, years of experience driving right-hookers on the Continent and, in the end, the deal offered was the deciding factor. Also, I wan't too keen on the notion of having to buy a big, rear-facing baseball hat to go with the sub-woofer that comes as standard on the French model.

FP

Yes. I have already signed on to the AutoLib network in and around Paris. Eu 15 one off payment on joining then modest fees for charging. Bays available in almost all of the main carparks and lots more on the streets. You can either book in advance or take a chance by rocking up. I still need to find out what/how many RF id cards I need to guarantee access outside Paris. I know that there are stations across most of the motorway network, some at big supermarkets (notably Lecerc) and at least two at most Ikeas.

FrancoPHEV said:
Yes. I have already signed on to the AutoLib network in and around Paris. Eu 15 one off payment on joining then modest fees for charging. Bays available in almost all of the main carparks and lots more on the streets. You can either book in advance or take a chance by rocking up. I still need to find out what/how many RF id cards I need to guarantee access outside Paris. I know that there are stations across most of the motorway network, some at big supermarkets (notably Lecerc) and at least two at most Ikeas.

Thanks, please keep us posted on the others, as I am planning to drive through to the Pyrenees at half term for skiing so would like to take advantage of any on the Autoroutes (to go with my excellent Sanef toll dongle :D )

I've just looked at the Autolib site - in English :eek: Do I take it that their tethered cable just plugs into the same socket as the "domestic" lead that comes with the car?

greendwarf said:
FrancoPHEV said:

Thanks, please keep us posted on the others, as I am planning to drive through to the Pyrenees at half term for skiing so would like to take advantage of any on the Autoroutes (to go with my excellent Sanef toll dongle :D )

I've just looked at the Autolib site - in English :eek: Do I take it that their tethered cable just plugs into the same socket as the "domestic" lead that comes with the car?

Yep my Sanef toll dongle arrived today, looking forward to avoiding some queues too!

FrancoPHEV - I will driving to the Alpes next week (Calais - Lyons) and have previously tried (and failed) to establish if the motorway services have any chargers. AutoLib have plenty in Paris but do you know if anyone has any on the Autoroutes (particularly A26 - E17!)

Davec. Great news about you SANEF Bip&go tag. I've had mine for three years and wouldn't be without it. I now even use it to pay in the big car parks.

With regard to charging on the motorway network, Google KiWhi and look at their web page. It looks as if they have good coverage on most routes. I applied for my card yesterday and am hoping that it will be delivered in time for a trip to Normandy this weekend.

Greendwarf. The standard AutoLib charging posts (Bounes) takes either a Mode 2 cable or the domestic. But do remember that you will need a decent UK to Shuko adapter.

Franco.

FrancoPHEV said:
Davec. Great news about you SANEF Bip&go tag. I've had mine for three years and wouldn't be without it. I now even use it to pay in the big car parks.

With regard to charging on the motorway network, Google KiWhi and look at their web page. It looks as if they have good coverage on most routes. I applied for my card yesterday and am hoping that it will be delivered in time for a trip to Normandy this weekend.

Greendwarf. The standard AutoLib charging posts (Bounes) takes either a Mode 2 cable or the domestic. But do remember that you will need a decent UK to Shuko adapter.

Franco.

Thanks, again, Franco but looking at the Tesla forum above suggests that there is a tethered cable with a type 1 J1772 plug on the end - so surely I won't need a Shuko adapter for these charging points, only if I wanted to connect to a French domestic socket :?

Thanks, again, Franco but looking at the Tesla forum above suggests that there is a tethered cable with a type 1 J1772 plug on the end - so surely I won't need a Shuko adapter for these charging points, only if I wanted to connect to a French domestic socket :?[/quote]

Sorry. That was me not being clear. Yes, you only need a Shuko-UK adapter if you are using the domestic lead. Most charging posts have at lest two options and the tethered cable with Type 1 J1772 is the best option. Franco.

FrancoPHEV said:
Thanks, again, Franco but looking at the Tesla forum above suggests that there is a tethered cable with a type 1 J1772 plug on the end - so surely I won't need a Shuko adapter for these charging points, only if I wanted to connect to a French domestic socket :?

Sorry. That was me not being clear. Yes, you only need a Shuko-UK adapter if you are using the domestic lead. Most charging posts have at lest two options and the tethered cable with Type 1 J1772 is the best option. Franco.[/quote]

Just to warn anyone else interested in driving abroad that if you do use an adaptor make sure it is rated for 13amp and 3kw - as your usual airport purchase is rate too low and will rapidly overheat - and possibly cause a fire or piss off your host by blowing the circuit fuse :eek:

and a further warning from a poor old LEAF user
https://transportevolved.com/2014/06/02/failed-electric-car-trip-shows-two-different-sides-ev-charging-europe/

Back