Tesla 3 launch

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greendwarf

Assuming this is not an April Fool, is this what some of the grumblers have been waiting for?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35940540

at least the ones that don't mind stopping half an hour to fill up and having to plan a route that may take them London to Glasgow via Bristol to make sure there are sufficient charging points....

I have orderd one, Vest coast USA gets first, Europe probably end of 2017. 115000 cars orderd in one day.

phev would be the x, which i'd swap for in a heartbeat. (ignoring the big step up in cost)

I also made my reservation.

I have the Outi only for its AWD, not for its size.

The TM3 will quench all my needs in size, range and drivetrain I'll ever need.

I'll be putting an order in at some point. I have to make the PHEV last 6 years, so it's due for replacement in July 2020. I estimate that if I put my 'reservation' in in the next week or so, I should be roughly on course for a July 2020 RHD delivery date :lol:

Looks pretty awesome in my view.

Undecided as to whether to slap down £1,000 on a reservation at this stage - will probably hold fire and see what the final price is, and what else is out there, by the time (no doubt a number of years) that they're actually being delivered in significant numbers to the UK.

Incidentally, if you haven't read it before and have any interest in electric vehicles (and what are you doing on a forum like this if you don't?) I highly recommend devoting around half an hour of your life to this fascinating long blog post / short book:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html

I want a Tesla 3, I really do. However I suspect the UK will not get them till 2018-2019.

Tesla does have "form" when it comes to late deliveries.

Will have to get by with my PHEV for a few years :cool:

MackV12 said:
I want a Tesla 3, I really do. However I suspect the UK will not get them till 2018-2019.

Tesla does have "form" when it comes to late deliveries.

Will have to get by with my PHEV for a few years :cool:

And the whole set-up depends on one man's enthusiasm (and pockets) to keep it going. Auto history is littered with similar failures to break into the mass market before the money ran out - e.g. Cord :?

I put down a deposit on launch day.
My PHEV goes back in the second half of 2017 so I hope the gap between them is not too long.
Not sure why some are saying a tesla 3 is not a competitor/ replacement for a PHEV as it is with me.

jkh112 said:
My PHEV goes back in the second half of 2017 so I hope the gap between them is not too long.
Not sure why some are saying a tesla 3 is not a competitor/ replacement for a PHEV as it is with me.

The lack of a petrol engine, surely? I can drive my PHEV from London to the far side of Russia if I want, never having to stop for more than a few minutes to refuel and never having to look on the map to check if there will be anywhere to charge before I grind to a halt. That may not matter to you, but it is a common consideration for serious 4WD users. OK, I have never actually driven to the far side of Russia, but I have spent long periods off-road in the Pyrenees, Picos and other relatively unpopulated parts of Europe, living out of tents with no access to mains electricity.

maby said:
jkh112 said:

The lack of a petrol engine, surely? I can drive my PHEV from London to the far side of Russia if I want, never having to stop for more than a few minutes to refuel and never having to look on the map to check if there will be anywhere to charge before I grind to a halt. That may not matter to you, but it is a common consideration for serious 4WD users. OK, I have never actually driven to the far side of Russia, but I have spent long periods off-road in the Pyrenees, Picos and other relatively unpopulated parts of Europe, living out of tents with no access to mains electricity.

I'd imagine the overwhelming majority of PHEV users aren't "serious 4WD users" though are they? I'd imagine most (like me) live in urban areas, are interested in electric motoring / environmental responsibility, and mainly use the PHEV for short distance journeys (thereby making the most of the limited EV range) but like the lack of range anxiety for occasional longer journeys.

A pure EV (that can be specced as 4WD) with a 200+ mile range and access to Tesla superchargers for long distance journeys at the same price point as the PHEV is going to be serious competition for those drivers I would have thought...

jkh112 said:
It is not a SUV which will take three dogs plus my wife's clutter and all my gear, it will stop moving after 200 miles and take too much time to charge provided there is a charger around when one grinds to a standstill - making long distance driving virtually impossible, it is too low to get in and out of comfortably, I cannot wear my hat inside, etc.

In total, a totally different concept aimed at a different customer group.

Many of us will - or should have- have bought the PHEV to cater for the daily transport needs of a family, drive the occasional luggage-packed 1500 km holiday trip only stopping to fuel up and change seats, run up a snowy hill without having to put on chains, drive out on bumpy muddy road with the dogs in the back, be able to get Grandfather in and out without undue pulling and pushing, drag a caravan, and all the rest a (plug-in hybrid) SUV offers.

If I wanted a PHEV type motorway runner there would have been an Opel Ampera, Prius plugin or Volvo D5. The only real alternative to the Mitsubishi is the Volvo XC90 T8, albeit at a price.

I see the Tesla as being more of a competitor to the Nissan Leaf or Volswagen eGolf.

jaapv said:
jkh112 said:
It is not a SUV which will take three dogs plus my wife's clutter and all my gear, it will stop moving after 200 miles and take too much time to charge provided there is a charger around when one grinds to a standstill - making long distance driving virtually impossible, it is too low to get in and out of comfortably, I cannot wear my hat inside, etc.

Many of us will - or should have- have bought the PHEV to cater for the daily transport needs of a family, drive the occasional luggage-packed 1500 km holiday trip only stopping to fuel up and change seats, run up a snowy hill without having to put on chains, drive out on bumpy muddy road with the dogs in the back, be able to get Grandfather in and out without undue pulling and pushing, drag a caravan, and all the rest a (plug-in hybrid) SUV offers.

If I wanted a PHEV type motorway runner there would have been an Opel Ampera, Prius plugin or Volvo D5. The only real alternative to the Mitsubishi is the Volvo XC90 T8, albeit at a price.

I see the Tesla as being more of a competitor to the Nissan Leaf or Volswagen eGolf.

+1 - the key selling point for me over the others was the carrying capacity. My second choice was a Superb Estate. :D

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
jkh112 said:

+1 - the key selling point for me over the others was the carrying capacity. My second choice was a Superb Estate. :D

This is a better point. My "second car" is a Superb Estate for all those reasons! :lol:

I'm interested in the Tesla (or a future Leaf type smaller car) but probably to run alongside the PHEV, not replace it.

You do, though, see plenty of people on this forum saying that they don't need the space of the PHEV, and even more worrying about how to maximise their EV range. I still think that for those people the Tesla is a real alternative to the PHEV - the range (and status / cool factor) plus the price is a potential game changer it seems to me.

jaapv said:
Well, in that case, what is wrong with the BMW i3? With or without range extender.

You've answered your own question - the need for the range extender. Plus the Tesla has more room in the back for the kids (the dog would still need the PHEV though!).

Oh, and while this isn't necessarily rational, the Tesla's a lot more attractive/ desirable in my view. Why do you think they've got 325,000 deposits (and counting) ;)

Whilst I agree a lot of PHEV drivers would be tempted away by the Tesla, there are always going to be users and places who can't rely on re-charging points. However, Toyota's fuel cell car is likely to suffer the most as it also relies on the establishment of dedicated recharging facilities to sell it but the Tesla (I assume) can always resort to the grid or even a standby generator to get going again. I await the DIY hydrogen re-fueller with interest. :lol:

Back