Understanding the three driving modes

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBig

Mitsubishi is proud of this being a new type of product, and if you get a chance to follow any of their marketing material, you'll see it. Just look around the Outlander PHEV forum and you'll see news stories that showcase it.

However, one thing that really threw me was the three driving modes for the Outlander plug-in.

Here's what I found out. There are three modes - Electric, Series, and Parallel. They actually make sense when you think about them.

Electric is just the vehicle driving on electric. We'll see how it does in the real world, but Mitsubishi says it can go 30 miles on straight electric.

Series Mode kicks in when you run out of electric power and starts running off the fuel motor.

Parallel is when you stomp on it and need to run them in tandem. I was thinking about my driving in my current electric hybrid (not a Outlander PHEV), and think this kind of breakdown just makes sense. I wonder how the car feels when you stomp on it.

Cool little tid-bit. Thanks for sharing.

It's nice to have some simple "here's what this means" info. I checked out the Mitsubishi website for the Outlander plug-in. Gorgeous, but a little sparse.

Thanks!

It feels pretty powerful when the extra engine cuts in. Far more so than the specs suggest.
One thing threw me though. The sound of the engine. It is well damped and not too obtrusive, but it gave me a deja-vue feeling. Tonight it came to me: it sounds exactly like the kick-down on a Daf Daffodil! :eek: (shows my age I guess :oops: )

This should be ontopic I think!

The motor is quite quiet I agree from a test drive I have taken. Some day I will have my own Outlander PHEV but there are too many to wait for being ordered that Mitsubishi has told me to wait!

Ha, Ha, Ha! I had one of those! Oh, what fun I had! The whine of the belts winding up, then slowing down as they bit. Dodgy vacuum hoses! But it was quite reliable. Even ran comfortably with the loss of one drive belt! But rotted away in the end. Never mind, it was fun while it lasted - which wasn't long! ;)

Back