Boot size dimensions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philshannon

Hi all

New to the forum and 1st post, but read plenty of articles over the past couple of months and all helped with decision to purchase a PHEV

I am wondering if anyone can help advise the actual boot dimensions (I know the litres are 460+), I can't find any information on cm or mm size, the reason for the question is I want to purchase a dog crate before our car arrives but I want to get the largest crate I can that will fit.

Hope someone can help

Phil

Hi we have a Lintran dog box that was made especially made for you Passat Estate W8 a few years ago. Now fits well into our Phev or Focus ST estate.

I have detailed below some measurements that I have just taken. Do take them with a pinch of salt, as you need to allow for the rake of the rear seats. You can fit in a bigger box if you straighten up the seats into a more vertical position. ( You may be unaware that you can adjust the rake )

Boot:
760mm high (which allows for the rear seatbelt mounting )
980mm wide between the suspension struts.
900mm deep at floor level tapering to 600 deep at headrest height depending on seat rake.

Our box is:

730mm high
710mm wide ( I think you want to take it to the max, ours is big enough for our 2 small black labs, OR or large German Shepherd )
860mm deep tapering to 500mm at ceiling level

I would assume that box manufacturers night make one to fit the Outlander perfectly. If not Lintran will make one for you. They're not cheap, but ours still is immaculate after 12 years of so hard work.

I would be tempted to wait until your cars arrives to make sure. Where in the country are you, you would be very welcome to have a look at our box?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for taking time to reply and providing me with exactly what I needed. Gives me a very good idea on what we can fit in the boot, especially with the detail you have gone into

I have looked into 'made to measure' crates and also a dog guard with boot divider to enable space for luggage or shopping etc but we've decided to get an 'off the shelf' crate from Pets at Home, etc as this will then double up as a travel crate for nights away.

Was tempted to wait, but want everything ready for when it arrives so can use straight away and not start the habit of not using the crate.

We're in Derbyshire and thanks for the offer of taking a look but think should be ok to get the right size crate from your details

My pleasure.

When is your car arriving? What woofs do you have? And which dog crate are you getting?

Sorry if that's a bit like the Spanish Inquisition!!

Haha, no worries...mycar is now scheduled to get to us 2 weeks on Monday (was supposed to be this Monday), we have a 6month old Hungarian Vizsla. Not sure on crate yet, going to look into sizes and see what is best fit for everything required

Excellent choice of dog, a good friend has a Vizla.

Do you need to get fit? You will be with a Vizla. He can never tire his out. Enjoy.

Not as fit as I was, but can see this year changing that. Already realising how much energy he has and he's not fully grown yet.

Can't wait to get the car and the bike rack on the roof to get in the Peaks and run him ragged

Have a look here: They are not cheap,but about the best on the market:

http://www.croftonline.co.uk/scp/Car_Dog_Crates_and_Travel/Aluminium_Car_Crates_-_Elegance.html

Phil, I'm in Eyam. If you're in this part of Derbyshire you're welcome to have a nosey.

Thanks for the website, look good, can get the dog guard and boot divider for similar price, which I'd prefer if paying that kind of money though.

Also, cheers for offers of viewing vehicle, don't need to at the moment, but if I change mind, will let you know

Our 2 year old Gordon Setter in more than happy enough with the boot. Not quite as much head room as the old Subaru, but plenty of space to sprawl. Just hoping that she is beyond teething on the screen!!

FrancoPHEV said:
Our 2 year old Gordon Setter in more than happy enough with the boot. Not quite as much head room as the old Subaru, but plenty of space to sprawl. Just hoping that she is beyond teething on the screen!!
Which Subaru? I was amazed that barring an inch or so extra height, our Focus ST Estate has a bigger boot than the phev.

A good source of info for car dimensions is the Research Institute for Disabled Consumers (RIDC) website.
https://www.ridc.org.uk/
The page you want is
https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-top-4wd-5dr-4x4-2014
Should give you all the dimensions you need.

Back