Charging a UK car in France

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu

What's the consensus on charging a UK car, with a UK EVSE 3-pin, plugged into a French wall socket with a simple UK-France adapter plug?

Is there any danger of damage to the car or the outlet that it's plugged in to, or is this simply a big no no?

Many thanks in advance

Most travel adapters are rated at 7.5A max, well below the 10A that the Phev will draw from the supply, so that'll be a no-no.

Voltage and frequency wise, France is similar to the UK at 220v / 50Hz, so it might be possible to make a lead with standard euro plug on one end, and a UK trailing socket on the other. Best check with your dealer though, as that is only what I would do personally.

On the Continent all wall sockets are fused centrally (usually 16 A) so no problem there, but make sure there are no other major users on the same group.

Stu said:
What's the consensus on charging a UK car, with a UK EVSE 3-pin, plugged into a French wall socket with a simple UK-France adapter plug?

Is there any danger of damage to the car or the outlet that it's plugged in to, or is this simply a big no no?

Many thanks in advance

Don't use a Euro/UK adapter!!! most if not ALL are not designed for 10Amp + the contact surfaces will heat and melt the case.
Get a proper Euro Earthed Plug and suitably heavy cable to a good 13A UK single socket -

Stvtech said:
Voltage and frequency wise, France is similar to the UK at 220v / 50Hz...
You still have 220V where you live??
The continent switched to 230V in the year 1987.....

The UK is 230 V as well, except for the Isle of Man, which is 240 V.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

Kim said:
Stvtech said:
Voltage and frequency wise, France is similar to the UK at 220v / 50Hz...
You still have 220V where you live??
The continent switched to 230V in the year 1987.....

Oops, my bad, sorry! I don't live in France hence why I looked it up. France is listed on the line above French Guiana, which is still 220v. misread it :oops:

Mind you, chances are it's more like 220v at the socket, dependant upon how far from the substation it is :lol:

Not a problem. I do this weekly (which is as often as I need to charge at the moment). In my garage at home the Mitsu charge cable plugs into a UK 13A "mouth organ" where I have replaced the plug with a good quaity continental plug. Out and about, I have a much smaller version which is UK 3-pin rubber socket wired onto the cable and moulded plug that I curt off a redundant kettle.

Not a problem. I do this weekly (which is as often as I need to charge at the moment). In my garage at home the Mitsu charge cable plugs into a UK 13A "mouth organ" where I have replaced the plug with a good quaity continental plug. Out and about, I have a much smaller version which is UK 3-pin rubber socket wired onto the cable and moulded plug that I curt off a redundant kettle.

I'm really sorry to be pedantic but could you please explain yourself more clearly? I don't understand what you mean by UK 13A "mouth organ". Using slang or jargon is all very well if everyone knows what it means but becomes very muddled if you don't. I think your post is extremely useful, but if you could please explain your actual setup clearly and concisely so a dummy like me can understand what you're on about, I would be extremely grateful and appreciative. :D

steelarts said:

I'm really sorry to be pedantic but could you please explain yourself more clearly? I don't understand what you mean by UK 13A "mouth organ". Using slang or jargon is all very well if everyone knows what it means but becomes very muddled if you don't. I think your post is extremely useful, but if you could please explain your actual setup clearly and concisely so a dummy like me can understand what you're on about, I would be extremely grateful and appreciative. :D

Sorry. Fair comment. By mouth organ I mean the end of a domestic extension cable that has several 3 pin sockets all in a row. It would probably be better and easier to use a single socket.

Thanks for that, that clarifies things immensely. Could you please tel me if I've got it right in myhead now; 1 gang/trailing UK 13 amp socket (into which we plug the UK charger that comes with the car) with a cable of 2'-3' attached to a French plug? I want to get this right as we're thinking of buying a place in France and I don't want to burn the place down if I can help it!

for occasional use, a heavy duty adapter could suffice. This Swiss one is rated to 16A http://www.skross.com/product/en/14/World-Input/54/World-to-Europe.html (also here http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/SKROSS-World-to-EU-Travel-Adaptor-Plug/36-4797 )

i agree, if you are going to use regularly, worth investing the time in a proper set up as described. this lot do EU plug to UK socket http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-4-gang-extension-lead-euro-plug-2mtr-any-length-/111310081526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19ea990df6 and will bespoke design so if you didnt want/have time to do yourself, I'd drop them a line and ask to make a heavy duty one ending in a waterpoof box.
HJB

I charged my phev in France quite a few times last year. I used the supplied UK charging unit and a travel adapter which was rated at 7.5amps max.
Had no problems. I understand the mains unit only draws up to 10 amps so only a bit above 7.5 amps!

Back