Some complaining of burning smell?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kent

Hi owners - I am wondering if you have any info on this. There was an article about how some Outlander PHEV owners are smelling burning smoking smell inside the vehicle cabin when you turn on charge mode.

Someone reported it was because the engine was new and it is normal but should disappear after running the engine a few times. Did you have the smell? Did it go away quickly?

Thank you.

Yes, I had a bit of new-engine-running-hot smell the first time I did a long drive on the motorway. I am over 1000 km now and it is long since gone.
With a normal new car you will have that in the first few Kms, but on this one you drive out of the dealership with full batteries and use the ICE only intermittently, so it is more of a surprise.

Thanks for sharing this information! And that is a good point, on a gasoline powered vehicle, those first minutes of drive time would already be done just leaving the factory, loading on the ship, driving off the transport truck etc.

With the Outlander, you use the battery pack for so long that the gasoline engine could be brand new months after purchase!

kent said:
Hi owners - I am wondering if you have any info on this. There was an article about how some Outlander PHEV owners are smelling burning smoking smell inside the vehicle cabin when you turn on charge mode.

Someone reported it was because the engine was new and it is normal but should disappear after running the engine a few times. Did you have the smell? Did it go away quickly?

Thank you.

Yes - There is smell, but it isn't burning like smell... And kinda is.. Hmm. Tough one here, I guess.

To me it is easy to understand that there is a smell from new components that are under a hard stress... ie engine making >70kW and a generator making the 60kW or so..

You can get the same smell from any (newish) car that has been driven hard and stopped.

Nothing to be alarmed here.

Samuel

Had the same experience before. I agree nothing to worry about. The smell could be from oem paint or seals that are settling due to engine heat.

Back