Servicing

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlydaws

Hi,
I have had my PHEV since April last year and it will be due a service soon enough, I have never owned a new car before so unaware of some procedures most notably the service agreement. I saw on the Mitsubishi website that for 3 years the servicing agreement would be £500 including vat and seeing as I have not had my first service I thought this could be taken out before that was due, also it doesn’t state this on the website.

Turns out as I’m sure new owners will already know that this agreement has to have been taken up prior to delivery or registration of the car and cant now be taken out, I have contacted my local Mitsubishi (Longmans in Basildon) garage and have been quoted the following:-

1st Service - £240 inc vat
2nd Service - £330 inc vat
3rd Service - £320 inc vat
4th service - £340 inc vat

As a comparable it will cost me £390 extra for the 3 years, to say I’m not happy is an understatement.

The car is leased, I called the lease company and the maintenance package cannot be taken out at a later date which is fine but they did say that as long as the car is serviced by a VAT registered garage that uses genuine Mitsubishi parts this will not invalidate the warranty.

I have contacted Mitsubishi about the warranty and they have replied, they won’t budge on this so my question is does anyone know a local garage to Basildon that is Vat registered and that uses genuine Mitsubishi parts that will serviced the Outlander PHEV, I would obviously be looking to pay less than the main dealer!

Thanks for any help you can give.

It is more than doubtful that a non-specialized garage will be willing or even able to service your car. They need dedicated computer programs to read out logs and access software, they need an Internet connection to the factory in Japan to upload the results or check problems that are not covered by the standard service program, they need trained staff. I doubt that any local garage would be willing to invest in this just for you. Not to mention the risk of electrocuting themselves by not knowing the exact layout of the car.

Don't forget that this is not a purely mechanical device, it is basically a computer on four wheels. I would not bring my MacPro to a bicycle repair shop for servicing...

jaapv said:
It is more than doubtful that a non-specialized garage will be willing or even able to service your car. They need dedicated computer programs to read out logs and access software, they need an Internet connection to the factory in Japan to upload the results or check problems that are not covered by the standard service program, they need trained staff. I doubt that any local garage would be willing to invest in this just for you. Not to mention the risk of electrocuting themselves by not knowing the exact layout of the car.

Don't forget that this is not a purely mechanical device, it is basically a computer on four wheels. I would not bring my MacPro to a bicycle repair shop for servicing...

Fully agree - my experience with hybrids having owned both a Prius and a PHEV is that no independent garage, including the big chains like Kwikfit, is wiling to touch one as soon as they look at the workshop manual and understand the implications.

Thank you for your replies, I hear what you are saying and will have to go to a local Mitsubishi dealer.

It just doesn't seems right that I have to now pay over £300 more for the same product when the first service has not even been carried out yet.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Earlydaws said:
Thank you for your replies, I hear what you are saying and will have to go to a local Mitsubishi dealer.

It just doesn't seems right that I have to now pay over £300 more for the same product when the first service has not even been carried out yet.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

It is a pain and Mitsubishi are very strict on this - the dealer that we got our car from cocked up the registration of the service plan and Mitsubishi subsequently refused to let them correct it - so they are now having to provide it themselves for the first three years.

Service plan was never offered to us on our 6 month old ex-Mitsubishi UK car!

But having owned a BMW those prices quoted don't seem too bad to me and hopefully Mitsubishi won't be so arrogant! :roll:

Does anyone know if the service plan ties you into the dealership you purchase the car from? Or can you get the car serviced wherever you like?

DivineComedian said:
Does anyone know if the service plan ties you into the dealership you purchase the car from? Or can you get the car serviced wherever you like?

You can go to any Mitsubishi main dealer.

Our company has a service agreement with a local garage for all our cars and vans, they do use approved parts and our lease companies are happy for the company to use them for any make. However when we asked them about the PHEV they would not touch it and it appears they were not the only ones to refuse to look at them. It appears Only Mitsubishi can service them from a technical point of view, I suppose some garage somewhere may well have a go!! and only change the oil etc... but the more reputable garages know their limits and don't want to con their customers. I suppose as these types of cars become more common across a grater range of makes then the independents will find they have to invest to keep up. I wasn't so long ago that you had to go to Ford or BMW etc.... to get your ECU sorted when it showed up faults, now any garage can sort it out.

Earlydaws said:
The car is leased, I called the lease company and the maintenance package cannot be taken out at a later date which is fine but they did say that as long as the car is serviced by a VAT registered garage that uses genuine Mitsubishi parts this will not invalidate the warranty.

Interesting - I'd always assumed that normal servicing was included in the lease to protect the owner's (i.e. not you) investment.

greendwarf said:
Earlydaws said:

Interesting - I'd always assumed that normal servicing was included in the lease to protect the owner's (i.e. not you) investment.

We (the company) have had leases with and without servicing, but leases with servicing are becoming more common or popular due to the fact it is a know fixed cost. My last company lease car a Merc did not have the servicing included as it did work out cheaper over the year, however some leases include every thing like tyres and it then may well be worth having it built in.

The dealer I bought from (in Oxford) was very up front in selling us the £500 service plan, and demonstrated it was significantly cheaper than the extra cost of a lease that included servicing.

Back