Steamed Up (The car AND ME!) NO LONGER!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnut

Why does the car steam up all the time, not just the windscreen but the rear view mirror and side windows. There is nothing damp in the car and it does it every day. I have never had any other car get so steamed up. Local sales Manager says his does it as well. Does anybody else suffer with this?
It is a real pain in the ar$e!
Is there anything I can do/polish/clean the glass areas with to stop it?

If you have the aircon switched on, this shouldn't happen. I use it for an hour here and there in the winter - it helps remove some of the inevitable moisture that resides in the ducts and internal surfaces. If the air con doesn't clear it (with a bit of ooomph from the fan), then there's a problem.

Carnut said:
Why does the car steam up all the time, not just the windscreen but the rear view mirror and side windows. There is nothing damp in the car and it does it every day. I have never had any other car get so steamed up. Local sales Manager says his does it as well. Does anybody else suffer with this?
It is a real pain in the ar$e!
Is there anything I can do/polish/clean the glass areas with to stop it?

Mine is the same...never known anything like it.

The blowers do clear it quickly but it annoys me when that starts the engine....and after 15 minutes or so it's steamed up again!

Did idly wonder if they fill them with sea water during the crossing.

;)

JimB

Problem did come up during autumn 2014 but presumably delayed by the warmth over the last few months. However, having said that there is an awful lot a moisture about after all the rain we've had. The moisture content of the wood in my covered log store has gone up since the summer :evil:

Unfortunately, although the aircon does remove it quite efficiently, it is rather a vicious circle because when you turn it off it dumps it back out into the car. :?

Weird! the PHEV is one of the least steamy-up cars I have ever had for me...

And mine regularly carries kids with wet swim training equipment, it clears really quick too.

I always found cars were worse when we lived 'down South' due to the pollution the inside glass gets coated in a diesel film even through the cars filter. Up here in the less overpopulated middle lands its so much better.

I've never had any problems, but I do have the climate control on and the temperature set to 21 all the time! Could this be a symptom of trying to avoid ever letting the engine start?

Mine was fine for the first 6 months and then it started to steam up a lot - not helped by me not using the heating

I went out and purchased some rain-x anti fog and job done no more steam on the window

Top Tip Time

The little bags of siiica gel crystals that you get in shoe boxes etc - put one or two on the dashboard where it meets the windscreen - reduces the amount of 'fogging' considerably :D

Replace every 3 to 6 months

No problems in my Outi too.
And I almost never have the aircon and/or heater running!

Most important thing is to CLEAN your windows!

What I also did:
Using one of these in the car http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0030GB32K

and ChrisFix's trick with the shaving cream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vj9avZxuwI

Thanks for the comments peeps, I just feel that having to run the /C is a self defeating operation as it either starts the ICE or guzzlles battery mileage.
If Mitsubishubishi read this......You reallly ought to sort it out!!
I will clean windows and try one of youyou cunning plans.
Thanks again.

Carnut said:
Thanks for the comments peeps, I just feel that having to run the /C is a self defeating operation as it either starts the ICE or guzzlles battery mileage.
If Mitsubishubishi read this......You reallly ought to sort it out!!
I will clean windows and try one of youyou cunning plans.
Thanks again.

If temp set to minimum 15c then use of demister button will not start car and with low fan speed will use minimal battery power.

This is similar to what I use, I have two and I just swap them around every 6 months and keep the spare one next to my boiler where it dries out ready for the next use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZZB5UY?keywords=car%20dehumidifier&qid=1453703566&ref_=sr_1_2&s=automotive&sr=1-2

Hi All,
I had the same problem........discovered I need to have the re-circulating function and A/C off with the blower on at least two bars, the screen and side windows will clear quickly no problem.
I can set the heating temperature to anything I like this doesn’t seam to make any difference as long as the re-circulating function is off.
:)

raymie said:
This is similar to what I use, I have two and I just swap them around every 6 months and keep the spare one next to my boiler where it dries out ready for the next use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZZB5UY?keywords=car%20dehumidifier&qid=1453703566&ref_=sr_1_2&s=automotive&sr=1-2

Just ordered a pair!

Still playing with settings for the car to see if I can run the fans without the aircon (and the engine) starting but note the manual states that if the defroster switch is pressed the a/c is automatically switched on even if the a/c is set to 'manual'.

JimB

billa said:
Hi All,
I had the same problem........discovered I need to have the re-circulating function and A/C off with the blower on at least two bars, the screen and side windows will clear quickly no problem.
I can set the heating temperature to anything I like this doesn’t seam to make any difference as long as the re-circulating function is off.
:)

Presumably because it is the A/C which maintains the cabin temp but with re-circ. off and no A/C I don't think you can just have air directed to the screen. So if it is very cold outside then your toes will freeze :eek:

Thanks for all your tips.
My point is that the car should NOT condense like this in the first place.
I have already had to spend £22 on Osram Nightbreakers because the factory fit high beams are cr@p.
Now I am supposed to spend MORE money on putting right a fault that should not happen in the first place.
Come on Mitsubishi, get a grip!
Just completed 155 mile trip 55% on EV/hybrid, (no intermediate charge available.)
Cross country and round town. average for trip 39mpg. The same as I was getting on Yeti (sometimes managed 44mpg on this trip with Yeti.)
So my question is....... Is the zero RFL, the amazing road holding, worth the charging hassle, the poor build quality (biscuit tin panels) the constant steaming up, the cr@p headlights, the hard suspension? I am beginning to think not.
But to be honest it is good fun to drive &has given my brain cells a good work out understanding the tech and has probably put off the onset of Alzheimers!! :lol: I don't think anyone could say the Mitsubishi build quality is as good as VW and IMHO Skoda build quality is BETTER than VW at 2/3rds the price.
Roll on the Skoda Kodiak!!! (if you don't know what it is Google Skoda 7 seat SUV)

It really will not suffer from excessive condensation if you let it burn petrol when it wants to. Confined spaces occupied by humans breathing and sweating do get humid in cold weather - we would have water dripping off the ceilings of the boat if we didn't run the heating and dehumidifier.

The aircon on my ICE car failed last year, this winter has been the first time it has steamed up. So hit that Aircon button and don't worry about the cost :)

Carnut said:
Thanks for all your tips.
My point is that the car should NOT condense like this in the first place.
I have already had to spend £22 on Osram Nightbreakers because the factory fit high beams are cr@p.
Now I am supposed to spend MORE money on putting right a fault that should not happen in the first place.
Come on Mitsubishi, get a grip!
Just completed 155 mile trip 55% on EV/hybrid, (no intermediate charge available.)
Cross country and round town. average for trip 39mpg. The same as I was getting on Yeti (sometimes managed 44mpg on this trip with Yeti.)
So my question is....... Is the zero RFL, the amazing road holding, worth the charging hassle, the poor build quality (biscuit tin panels) the constant steaming up, the cr@p headlights, the hard suspension? I am beginning to think not.
But to be honest it is good fun to drive &has given my brain cells a good work out understanding the tech and has probably put off the onset of Alzheimers!! :lol: I don't think anyone could say the Mitsubishi build quality is as good as VW and IMHO Skoda build quality is BETTER than VW at 2/3rds the price.
Roll on the Skoda Kodiak!!! (if you don't know what it is Google Skoda 7 seat SUV)
Errr... Skoda is VW.

Back