Wifi connection for a new car and the app

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadgetman101

Hi i have a new Mitsubishi outback and yes i would like to use the App now in my case its a iphone 6 so i download the app follow the instructions :( no connection ok so i go to utube and look again to make sure i'm doing it right and yes i am but still no connection. is there a way of checking the the wifi in the car is activated ? and please how do i go about finding it if it is missing ?

Welcome.
I'm glad I am not the only one with APP problems!!
Hope you are luckier than I have been in getting it resolved.

Carnut said:
Welcome.
I'm glad I am not the only one with APP problems!!
Hope you are luckier than I have been in getting it resolved.
It 3 weeks old i will get it working or it goes back :)

I've never had an iPhone [shudder], but on an Android (and I bet Apple products are similar), the phone can give you a list of all the WiFi networks within range. In a city, this may be quite a long list! The Mitsi one is called (SSID if you like to get technical) something like REMOTEnnxxxx, where the n is a number and x a lower-case letter (at least, that's how my month-old GX4h looks). If you can see this, the car WiFi is working (or the house next door has an Outlander, too - anyone tried tried this near a foreign Outlander, or at a dealer's?)

I can connect to the WiFi from the front of my house, but not from the back, so the range is limited (which is good, when you think about it).

+1 for the last post. My Android smartphone connected without problems but my brother has an iPhone and cannot get it to connect to his PHEV. Does this suggest the Apple app is not so reliable as the Android app?

I have an iPhone 6 and the damn thing connects to the car instead of my home network, I am forever getting email errors as the phone has suddenly decided to connect to the car if I walk into the kitchen/diner (as the car is parked nearby). Getting to be such a nuisance that I am thinking of disconnecting it permanently. Sorry to upset anyone with the opposite issue! :)

Jeff

jthspace said:
I have an iPhone 6 and the damn thing connects to the car instead of my home network, I am forever getting email errors as the phone has suddenly decided to connect to the car if I walk into the kitchen/diner (as the car is parked nearby). Getting to be such a nuisance that I am thinking of disconnecting it permanently. Sorry to upset anyone with the opposite issue! :)

Jeff

Easy fix - connect to the car wifi, go into settings on the phone, go into the wifi settings and make a note of the IP Address and the Subnet mask settings. Enter these into the STATIC IP Address, but do not put anything in the ROUTER or DNS sections. Go back to DHCP settings and delete everything in there. Then exit the Wifi settings menu.

You will now need to manually connect to the car every time you need it but it will now connect to your home network once the car is out of range. It also prevents bluetooth interference whilst in the car.

Indeed. My solution of choice as well, although I don't think you can 'Go back to DHCP settings and delete everything in there.'. You can disable use of DHCP, but you cannot change the provided values, by the sheer nature of DHCP. Fortunately, you don't have to ;)

Neverfuel said:
Easy fix - connect to the car wifi, go into settings on the phone, go into the wifi settings and make a note of the IP Address and the Subnet mask settings. Enter these into the STATIC IP Address, but do not put anything in the ROUTER or DNS sections. Go back to DHCP settings and delete everything in there. Then exit the Wifi settings menu.

You will now need to manually connect to the car every time you need it but it will now connect to your home network once the car is out of range. It also prevents bluetooth interference whilst in the car.

Unfortunately the static ip address and subnet settings did not save when exiting. I will investigate further, thanks for the tip. Jeff

jthspace said:
Neverfuel said:

Unfortunately the static ip address and subnet settings did not save when exiting. I will investigate further, thanks for the tip. Jeff
Maybe because you went back into the DHCP settings in an attempt to erase them? Or didn't you? Either way, you shouldn't.

I didn't, I came all the way out, disconnected, reconnected but all changes lost. Will retry when I get back home Wednesday - travelling next two days. Jeff

Both my Androids, phone & tablet will not connect. Get rignt up to clicking ok and then nothing happens and it gives up after 5 minutes .
Im with Gadgetman.
The Mitsu Sale Manager says he WILL get one or the other connected this week. If he can't I can't unfortunately give it back as it is a MMC management car. But at the expense of laying out yet more £££ , I shall exchange it for an Oulander oiler. I will therefore lose £4k in 2 months + having to lay out another £1,999 to buy an oiler.
Pi$$ed off of Poole

Carnut said:
Both my Androids, phone & tablet will not connect. Get rignt up to clicking ok and then nothing happens and it gives up after 5 minutes .
Im with Gadgetman.
The Mitsu Sale Manager says he WILL get one or the other connected this week. If he can't I can't unfortunately give it back as it is a MMC management car. But at the expense of laying out yet more £££ , I shall exchange it for an Oulander oiler. I will therefore lose £4k in 2 months + having to lay out another £1,999 to buy an oiler.
Pi$$ed off of Poole

Surely the MMCS is basically the same on all models, especially for 'phone connection, so you are likely to have the same problem with a new car. If, however, it is a fault with that particular car then it is a warranty issue.

But even if you are right, are you really willing to throw away £6k (+ road fund tax penalties etc.) merely to connect a 'phone to a car? :roll:

To answer the original question...on an iPhone go into 'Settings', select the WiFi tab, wait till it finds all WiFis available and select the car Wifi. Then log into it using the car's password. Easy! The app will then pick up the Wifi as needed (and any other time you are near it and takes preference over mobile 3g or 4g connections too! It's actually a real PITA)

As said above the downside is the stupid car WiFi takes over! As I have no interest in preheating the car or indeed anything else the app does I very quickly dumped it! :eek:

I've found with my Android N6p on Marshmallow that I need to let the app connect to the car's wifi rather than me connecting the phone to it before starting the app.

This was the same for the initial setup.

When connecting to the car, I ignore the current wifi settings,and just open the app. The app will change the phone to the car's wifi.

That said, I can only connect from the kitchen of my house. The range is short and I can't connect from any other room!

I have the same setup except for the older 'vanilla' Nexus 6. If I start the app it sometimes fails to connect, giving me a full screen "unable to connect ..." message (I think this may be when the signal is a bit marginal - as you say the range seems to be relatively short, which may be a good thing from a security perspective). If I then connect manually to the car using the Android WiFi settings, the app will start successfully. If I switch the phone's focus away from the app, it returns to connecting to my home WiFi, but swapping back to the app allows it to connect again (as long as I'm in range).

Back