Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jump starting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 am 

Where are the terminals to jump start another car? The cover in the boot only offers the -ve/earth terminal and I don't want to take off the covers.

Similarly can you jump start the Outlander?

Post subject: Re: Jump starting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:35 am 

Jump starting the PHEV is covered at the beginning of Section 9 ('For emergencies') of the manual. I'm not sure if you can jump start another vehicle by reversing the procedure, but I'd be nervous about trying it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:08 pm 

If I recall correctly, the manual says you shouldn't jump start other cars from the Outlander PHEV.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:01 pm 

That is correct. the 12 V battery is too small to power a starter motor. OTOH, you don't need much to jump-start the PHEV. Any small 12V battery, like a battery for a house alarm system, will do.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:37 am 

Just to qualify jaapv's comments - the PHEV has two batteries - the small 12v battery which exists to boot the electronics up and the high voltage traction battery which is what actually moves the car. The latter cannot be jump started in any conventional sense - if it it too flat to start the engine, you are going nowhere without help from Mitsubishi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:55 pm 

maby wrote:
Just to qualify jaapv's comments - the PHEV has two batteries - the small 12v battery which exists to boot the electronics up and the high voltage traction battery which is what actually moves the car. The latter cannot be jump started in any conventional sense - if it it too flat to start the engine, you are going nowhere without help from Mitsubishi.

Or a 2kw generator and standard charger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:55 pm 

I have been asked three times now if I could give a "jump" and have had to say no each time. Two of the times there were other cars about and so they went to ask others, but last time the guy did not believe me and thought I was just being mean spirited (we were the only ones in the car park, fishing in the middle of nowhere) when I explained why I could not, he still did not believe me until I lifted the bonnet.... he then phoned his wife to bring her car. He then went on to berate me for not getting a "normal car". I asked how many times had the battery gone? "Oh about once a week" how long has this been going on? "Oh about a couple of Months" why didn't you not get a new one? "Bloody rip-off £80 for a new one" it was at that point I left.

"The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today"

Atlantic Grey GX4h

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:03 am 

Sharky wrote:
I have been asked three times now if I could give a "jump" and have had to say no each time. Two of the times there were other cars about and so they went to ask others, but last time the guy did not believe me and thought I was just being mean spirited (we were the only ones in the car park, fishing in the middle of nowhere) when I explained why I could not, he still did not believe me until I lifted the bonnet.... he then phoned his wife to bring her car. He then went on to berate me for not getting a "normal car". I asked how many times had the battery gone? "Oh about once a week" how long has this been going on? "Oh about a couple of Months" why didn't you not get a new one? "Bloody rip-off £80 for a new one" it was at that point I left.

What he needs is a car from the 1950's with a starting handle :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:35 pm 

What happpened to the old trick of towing the car with an empty battery to make it start? Works only with manual gearbox but was sometimes the only way in northern sweden to start a car with a frozen battery in wintertime with temperatures below -30 C. You did not want to jumpstart using your car as it drains the battery and batteries do not charge (or charge very little) at severe cold temperatures. And towing also made the frozen engine turn, if you had good wintertyres......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:13 pm 

The problem is that modern cars with computer controlled engine management and also electronic sensing of the key code for the ignition switch needs the electronics to be powered up i.e. they need a battery to function. Bump starting will not work in these cases as the electronics will not operate even if the engine is being turned over by being towed.