Jump starting

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobman

Where are the terminals to jump start another car? The cover in the boot only offers the -ve/earth terminal and I don't want to take off the covers.

Similarly can you jump start the Outlander?

Jump starting the PHEV is covered at the beginning of Section 9 ('For emergencies') of the manual. I'm not sure if you can jump start another vehicle by reversing the procedure, but I'd be nervous about trying it.

That is correct. the 12 V battery is too small to power a starter motor. OTOH, you don't need much to jump-start the PHEV. Any small 12V battery, like a battery for a house alarm system, will do.

Just to qualify jaapv's comments - the PHEV has two batteries - the small 12v battery which exists to boot the electronics up and the high voltage traction battery which is what actually moves the car. The latter cannot be jump started in any conventional sense - if it it too flat to start the engine, you are going nowhere without help from Mitsubishi.

maby said:
Just to qualify jaapv's comments - the PHEV has two batteries - the small 12v battery which exists to boot the electronics up and the high voltage traction battery which is what actually moves the car. The latter cannot be jump started in any conventional sense - if it it too flat to start the engine, you are going nowhere without help from Mitsubishi.

Or a 2kw generator and standard charger.

I have been asked three times now if I could give a "jump" and have had to say no each time. Two of the times there were other cars about and so they went to ask others, but last time the guy did not believe me and thought I was just being mean spirited (we were the only ones in the car park, fishing in the middle of nowhere) when I explained why I could not, he still did not believe me until I lifted the bonnet.... he then phoned his wife to bring her car. He then went on to berate me for not getting a "normal car". I asked how many times had the battery gone? "Oh about once a week" how long has this been going on? "Oh about a couple of Months" why didn't you not get a new one? "Bloody rip-off £80 for a new one" it was at that point I left.

Sharky said:
I have been asked three times now if I could give a "jump" and have had to say no each time. Two of the times there were other cars about and so they went to ask others, but last time the guy did not believe me and thought I was just being mean spirited (we were the only ones in the car park, fishing in the middle of nowhere) when I explained why I could not, he still did not believe me until I lifted the bonnet.... he then phoned his wife to bring her car. He then went on to berate me for not getting a "normal car". I asked how many times had the battery gone? "Oh about once a week" how long has this been going on? "Oh about a couple of Months" why didn't you not get a new one? "Bloody rip-off £80 for a new one" it was at that point I left.

What he needs is a car from the 1950's with a starting handle :lol:

What happpened to the old trick of towing the car with an empty battery to make it start? Works only with manual gearbox but was sometimes the only way in northern sweden to start a car with a frozen battery in wintertime with temperatures below -30 C. You did not want to jumpstart using your car as it drains the battery and batteries do not charge (or charge very little) at severe cold temperatures. And towing also made the frozen engine turn, if you had good wintertyres......

The problem is that modern cars with computer controlled engine management and also electronic sensing of the key code for the ignition switch needs the electronics to be powered up i.e. they need a battery to function. Bump starting will not work in these cases as the electronics will not operate even if the engine is being turned over by being towed.

Actually that is not entirely true. Of course if the battery is totally dead so when turning on the ignition nothing happens at all, then you might be right. Now in my experience with older batteries they actually die slowly because they incur over time a large internal resistance (internal impedance). I.e. when you draw very little current the Voltage is OK but when drawing huge current the Voltage drops significantly. A good sign of this is that turning on ignition all looks good (almost) with onboard computers starting but then turning on the starter engine all goes blank. In this case bumpstarting works perfectly. And even in the first case when battery is totally dead I think it depends on the individual car implementation. It may work.

Now in the case described here with the rude driver I'd be hesitant to offer bumpstart help.

greendwarf said:
Sharky said:

What he needs is a car from the 1950's with a starting handle :lol:
It probably would dislocate his thumb for not holding it properly...;)

All I know is from experience. About 6 years ago the battery went flat on my son's Clio. There was not enough juice left to operate the central locking and take off the immobiliser so even though we tried bump starting it, it would not start. Had to go home to pick up the jump leads.
Now days you can get an Li battery pack that can be used to jump a 3.5 litre petrol engine and can also be used to power up your phone/tablet etc., but if the guy wouldn't buy a new battery due to the cost then he wouldn't buy one of these either. :|

gobman said:
Where are the terminals to jump start another car? The cover in the boot only offers the -ve/earth terminal and I don't want to take off the covers.

Similarly can you jump start the Outlander?

Gobman, you may find this thread of interest;

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2411

....and if you keep one of the jump start kits in the car you could also assist someone else with a genuine emergency (but not the guy in the fishing ground car park :twisted: )

JimB

Back