To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp

Hi,

I was very happy to manage the last 3 month without a drop of fuel. I am lucky enough that my daily commute can be done in pure EV, and as I did not do any long distance trips since August, I was sitting on a full tank of fuel.

But his afternoon, it somehow put itself in 'Charge' mode to force the engine to kick in. Anyone else aware of this? Can I disable it?

Thanks

JM

jmp said:
Hi,

I was very happy to manage the last 3 month without a drop of fuel. I am lucky enough that my daily commute can be done in pure EV, and as I did not do any long distance trips since August, I was sitting on a full tank of fuel.

But his afternoon, it somehow put itself in 'Charge' mode to force the engine to kick in. Anyone else aware of this? Can I disable it?

Thanks

JM

From the manual:

"The fuel in the fuel tank may not be consumed and it may stagnate for a long time depending on the use situation of the vehicle, the quality of fuel may change, and it may have a bad influence on the engine or the parts of a fuel system. Observe the following instructions for prevention.
• Press the battery charge switch to start the engine within three months at once.
Refer to “Battery charge switch” on page 7-22.
• Refill the fuel more than 15 litres at once within three months. If the fuel remaining display will be below half, you can refill the fuel more than 15 litres certainly.
Refer to “Fuel remaining warning display” on page 6-11."

Yay! My first post.

bbb :cool:

jmp said:
From the above it seems as if you had no idea this was coming, but from the title of your post it seems you know exactly what is going on ..... Or am I missing something?

jmp said:
Hi,

Thanks

JM
No you cannot disable it as it is meant to prevent damage to the fuel system by stale fuel.

Not recommended but you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes and it resets this. All other settings setting are kept in memory. Good climate/environment, quality fuel and fuel stabilizer could mean you could go a year or more without refueling.

Few question here .. does the car want to consume 15L every 3 months ? Or it is active if no ICE start happen in last 3 months ?

Every second day my foot is too heavy .. and even if I can be fully in EV mode .. I start ICE every second day by accident .. does this prevent the 3months stuff ?

About old fuel in the line ... is recommanded to use an additive to the petrol ? This is normally used for clean the fuel line on "old" car .. and does work quite well in this context

Thanks

e_lm_70

PS: I'm sill on my first fuel tank since I got my car, still it is only 6/7 weeks .. but my tank is over 3/4 .. so going to be there for a while at this consumption rate

jaapv said:
The car will only do this if it has not had a refill for those three months.

So ... it will still use ICE until a refill is done ?

So .. every 3 months is expecting refill?

So for who use EV mode as main source .. it will be needed little refill each 3 months .. or any additional fuel will do the job ?
Mainly .. should the car be driven with low fuel for avoid waste the full tank every 3 months ?

What about the fuel addictive ? Anybody use it ? (Redex is reported to do a good job .. but not sure is suggested or not in this car)

I ended up checking and yes, it is in the manual as stated above. The expectation is apparently to refill 15L or more every 3 month. The tank is around 45L I think so I have to wait till the ICE uses half of the tank before hitting the petrol station.

Should not be too hard now that winter is coming. I may have to do a round trip to France to stock up on wine, that will certainly do the 15L. L understand ish stagnant fuel in the tank is not too good. And yes, the engine should probably kick in from time to time to make sure lubricant still run around all the moving parts. But what I found harsh is that now I have no control over when I am pure EV or not. I normally go pure EV to reach the motorway, but this is not even an option.

After 9 month, I am still learning how to master this beautiful piece of engineering.

JM

As a suggestion, if you expect this to happen more often in the future, burn some fuel on the motorway well before the three months are up. Then, as soon as 'it happens again', you can go for a fill up. And do not add more than 15 liters :idea:

When we went to test drive one, the dealer said that it needed to consume 15L, rather than refill with 15L.

I laughed. That'd definitely ruin your fuel economy!

60l a year isn't going to affect your economy that much. Unless you're only driving 500 miles a year! :lol:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... but I am just coming up to 'three months' since I last put petrol in..... :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now the last time I was in a similar situation, the engine started 93 days after my previous refuel, so, and I apologise if this is a bit 'anal', does Mitsubishi think that 'three months' is '93 days'.... anyone manage longer :lol: ??

Arggh, refilled in June, now getting the use/refuel message and engine running, we didn't drive very far since then reasons I won't bore this panel with so still got a full tank of fuel.

Our journeys are short ones only, I guess we're stuck with a petrol car for the coming months ...

Disconnect the 12v battery for few seconds ... and enjoy additional 3 months of zero emission from your PHEV

elm70 said:
Disconnect the 12v battery for few seconds ... and enjoy additional 3 months of zero emission from your PHEV

Great way to ruin your engine and fuel system. Here's a better idea: burn off the old fuel, down to the point of getting a low fuel warning. And then ONLY fill it with 15L of fuel. You don't fill a plane's tank up to full unless you will be using the fuel on the next trip, right? So if these folks almost never use the ICE, they shouldn't be filling the tank all the way.

STS134 said:
elm70 said:

Great way to ruin your engine and fuel system. Here's a better idea: burn off the old fuel, down to the point of getting a low fuel warning. And then ONLY fill it with 15L of fuel. You don't fill a plane's tank up to full unless you will be using the fuel on the next trip, right? So if these folks almost never use the ICE, they shouldn't be filling the tank all the way.

:) I put some fuel in it yesterday evening but is wasn't enough to remove the alert. I think we got caught out in June by the alert so had to put fuel in it then as well.

The car's been sitting on the driveway since the middle of July and has only done 20 or so miles since then, only found out yesterday as fired it up to check/re-inflate the tyres.

Was planning on driving it on Save or Charge in the meantime ... though don't want the engine rattling away when stuck at traffic lights etc.

Back