Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:57 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:34 pm
Posts: 40
Fuel going stale in the fuel injector rail is a problem with cars purely run as EV.

Yes it is fine to disconnect the 12v battery for a few seconds, this resets the timer for 3 months, but you do not want the stale fuel anywhere in the system as it does corrode parts over time.

Here in australia, where the fuel is of terrible quality, this has caused problems with high mileage vehicles, and of course it is not covered by warranty, as it is not a manufacturing defect.

Fuel stabilisers or improvers are available to help reduce the effects.

best advice i give is to use the car as it was intended, if you want a pure EV there are plenty out there now

_________________
2018 Triton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm
Posts: 299
Location: Saratoga, CA
Well I never thought I would EVER hit this condition but with the pandemic, I'm now at 43 days and have consumed 0 drops of gasoline. It's starting to look possible that I might see this message pop in my car in another 47 days...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 am
Posts: 553
Location: Bucks
I'm in much the same position, STS134. Does anyone know whether the message is triggered only if there has been absolutely zero use of the ICE? Would a single short engine start resulting from an over-enthusiastic use of accelerator be sufficient to prevent its display?

_________________
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:23 pm
Posts: 326
Location: Dee Why
ChrisMiller wrote:
I'm in much the same position, STS134. Does anyone know whether the message is triggered only if there has been absolutely zero use of the ICE? Would a single short engine start resulting from an over-enthusiastic use of accelerator be sufficient to prevent its display?


The answer is no. In fact, once the stale fuel warning is triggered, the engine will start every time you use the car, until you have added about 15l to the tank. So, if it happens when your tank is already full you might have to drive about 200km so you can put that much in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 am
Posts: 553
Location: Bucks
Thanks HHL. But I'm really trying to find out how to stop the warning from triggering, Would a single, short run of the engine during a 90-day period be enough?

_________________
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 am
Posts: 111
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Slightly screwed here as I filled the tank just before lockdown as we had a long journey planned which then didn't happen. And what little driving I'm doing now is just in EV mode. May need to start siphoning out fuel to use in the lawn mower :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 366
Location: Glasgow
ps44 wrote:
Slightly screwed here as I filled the tank just before lockdown as we had a long journey planned which then didn't happen. And what little driving I'm doing now is just in EV mode. May need to start siphoning out fuel to use in the lawn mower :mrgreen:

Same here ps44, except I've now got a battery mower as well! I believe disconnecting the 12V battery 're-starts' the clock, but I'm not certain as I've never had to do it yet.... :o

EDIT: just seen this from earlier in the thread :oops: :

Open the bonnet. Remove the cover from the main fuse block. There is a green 30 amp fuse with a yellow remover on it. This fuse is identified as IOD. This stands for Igniton Off Draw, it supplies those things that remain live when the car is...Off. Pull it out. Wait a few seconds, put it back. Job done. The older fuel timer is reset. No tools needed.

_________________
GX4h in Glacier Blue from 17/7/14
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm
Posts: 299
Location: Saratoga, CA
jdsx wrote:
ps44 wrote:
Slightly screwed here as I filled the tank just before lockdown as we had a long journey planned which then didn't happen. And what little driving I'm doing now is just in EV mode. May need to start siphoning out fuel to use in the lawn mower :mrgreen:

Same here ps44, except I've now got a battery mower as well! I believe disconnecting the 12V battery 're-starts' the clock, but I'm not certain as I've never had to do it yet.... :o

EDIT: just seen this from earlier in the thread :oops: :

Open the bonnet. Remove the cover from the main fuse block. There is a green 30 amp fuse with a yellow remover on it. This fuse is identified as IOD. This stands for Igniton Off Draw, it supplies those things that remain live when the car is...Off. Pull it out. Wait a few seconds, put it back. Job done. The older fuel timer is reset. No tools needed.

I wouldn't do that. I also filled my tank just prior to the lockdown, but seriously, there's a reason for this fuel timer and it's to prevent your ICE from being damaged by bad fuel. Just burn through the fuel, siphon it out if you have another vehicle or machine you can burn that much fuel in, refill with exactly 15L (if the lockdown is still in effect at that time), and then get another 3 months. I'd also run the engine a bit just after refilling the tank to get new fuel into the fuel lines between the fuel pump and the engine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 2015
We had lots of discussion about this in the early days. The key is not the burning of the fuel but the 15l refuelling every 90 days. So if you had an empty tank, it would appear that you could go a year on pure EV without getting the warning by putting in 15l every 3 months. :idea:

The only way of fooling the system is to pull the fuse, as above, or siphoning out 15l and then putting it back in.

One word of warning - as I recall, the only time I got this, the car ran the ICE continuously, so consumption was about 12 miles per gallon around London until I got enough head room. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 am
Posts: 553
Location: Bucks
Thanks greendwarf, I filled up 19th March and haven't used a drop since, so if nothing changes before mid-June (unlikely in my personal view, I don't think the current UK lockdown can continue for another 6 weeks, whatever the epidemiologists say) I may have to resort to the fuse trick. Presumably this rests some other stuff as well, my biggest worry would be having to resync the Wifi app (and find my bit of paper with the magic password written on it) :(

_________________
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
© Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group