Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:40 pm 

96 days and counting now...I wonder if there's some other trigger for putting the computer into the mode where it forces the ICE on, such as:
- Charge started
- Charge stopped
- Charge complete

i.e. maybe the computer doesn't actually evaluate the elapsed time whenever you put it into READY mode, but it actually just looks at whether the "burn off old fuel" bit is set, but does the evaluation of whether to set the bit or not when you start or stop charging the car. I haven't charged the car at all since the end of May, because I'm trying to make sure that when the ICE does start, the battery is empty and it has plenty of headroom for the ICE to dump energy into before it has to start running without the generator being used. For now, I'm just switching it on at least once a day to see if the ICE will start, but if it hasn't started by July 1, I'll charge it and see what happens.

Did anyone have the ICE come on with the message that the car is consuming old fuel after NOT charging it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:57 pm 

Yep - charging started yesterday after about 92/3 days (haven't actually worked it out!). Haven't charged it up for several weeks. Ironically I went to B&Q without it starting, then I thought "I'll just pull the IOD fuse", after which I put it in 'ready' to see what the computer said, and the engine started immediately, with the warning! Ha! The tank looks like it's about two-thirds full, so I might have to visit a petrol station again.... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:04 pm 

jdsx wrote:
Yep - charging started yesterday after about 92/3 days (haven't actually worked it out!). Haven't charged it up for several weeks. Ironically I went to B&Q without it starting, then I thought "I'll just pull the IOD fuse", after which I put it in 'ready' to see what the computer said, and the engine started immediately, with the warning! Ha! The tank looks like it's about two-thirds full, so I might have to visit a petrol station again.... :(

1) What is B&Q?
2) What?!? You mean you pulled the fuse which was supposed to reset the timer to zero and that actually seems to have caused the engine to start?!? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 am 

1) UK equivalent of Home Depot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:00 am 

STS134 wrote:
2) What?!? You mean you pulled the fuse which was supposed to reset the timer to zero and that actually seems to have caused the engine to start?!? :shock:

Well, I can't say for sure that it caused the engine to start, but it certainly didn't prevent it from starting, in my case.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:40 am 

I think that's similar to my experience of filling triggering it. I think the counter doesn't get checked correctly, but there are some bugs that mean it gets checked under other circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:02 am 

littlescrote wrote:
I think that's similar to my experience of filling triggering it. I think the counter doesn't get checked correctly, but there are some bugs that mean it gets checked under other circumstances.

The engine started after you filled the tank?!? If that is true, what was the initial fuel level and final fuel level when you did this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:50 am 

I finally got this message after 101 days (last filled up 19th March). I'd done a 170 mile round trip last week, so the tank was down to ¼ full, and a quick trip to the filling station to put 30 litres in removed the message (and the continual engine running). So the car must be basing its calculations on the contents of the tank.

For those who love their stats: I'd travelled 653 miles and consumed 249 kWh of electricity (as well as 30 litres of petrol). The petrol cost £1.089 a litre and the last time it was that cheap was over four years ago. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:16 pm 

ChrisMiller wrote:
I finally got this message after 101 days (last filled up 19th March). I'd done a 170 mile round trip last week, so the tank was down to ¼ full, and a quick trip to the filling station to put 30 litres in removed the message (and the continual engine running). So the car must be basing its calculations on the contents of the tank.

Not surprising. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen the manual not match what's actually in the product (most likely because the product was updated but the manual was not).

ChrisMiller wrote:
For those who love their stats: I'd travelled 653 miles and consumed 249 kWh of electricity (as well as 30 litres of petrol). The petrol cost £1.089 a litre and the last time it was that cheap was over four years ago. :)

That seems a bit low. 30L of gasoline, or about 8 US gallons, should have taken you about 200 miles. That leaves 453 miles on electricity, on 249 kWh. That's only 1.8 mi/kWh! I'll usually see values between 2.5 and 3.5 mi/kWh on my car, when in EV mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:34 pm 

I live in a very hilly area - no mountains (this is England), but 15% grades for a mile or so every few miles - and my guessometer rarely shows a range much over 20 miles. I normally get about 2.5 miles/kWh (measured as the 'cost of charging' by the car) - for the last few months I've only been doing very short trips. The display in the car reliably shows 3.0 miles/kWh, I don't know if that's a difference between the number of kWh I put in from the mains and the amount actually stored in the battery?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next