Cost to charge (UK)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmxyorkshire

Hi all,

I've had the Phev since last October and so far very happy with it.

I've been meaning to try to calculate the cost to charge but before I do wondered if anyone has already done this. I've done a quick search as presumed this would be a regular topic but can't seem to find anything conclusive. I've seen varying reports from £2 per full charge to under £1.

Also, I typically plug it in (using an extension cable from the garage) before I go to bed around 11pm but having just had a hike in my electric bill I might see if I can get a timer that I can set to start when the cheaper rate begins after midnight. Does anyone else use anything like this? Not sure if it needs to be anything specific, or just a regular socket timer.

Thanks.

dmxyorkshire said:
Hi all,

I've had the Phev since last October and so far very happy with it.

I've been meaning to try to calculate the cost to charge but before I do wondered if anyone has already done this. I've done a quick search as presumed this would be a regular topic but can't seem to find anything conclusive. I've seen varying reports from £2 per full charge to under £1.

Also, I typically plug it in (using an extension cable from the garage) before I go to bed around 11pm but having just had a hike in my electric bill I might see if I can get a timer that I can set to start when the cheaper rate begins after midnight. Does anyone else use anything like this? Not sure if it needs to be anything specific, or just a regular socket timer.

Thanks.

A full charge is about 10Kwh, so you need to take whatever you currently pay your electricity supplier for a KwH and multiply by 10.

Lowest current tariffs are probably about 10p (so £1 for a full charge) but others can be paying as much as 15p (so £1.50), but if you check your electric bill you can find the exact rate that you are paying.

Hello

i hope you are not using a normal extension cable? that may most likely cause a fire at some point as the normal cable is not the same rating as the charge cables , Mitsubishi does say a normal extension cable must not be used.

if you have a specially rated extension cable then please ignore above :roll:

also do you not have the app to enable timer settings for charging and heating the car? (its also in the MMCS) or is this a relatively new thing?

steve

No, it's a heavy duty cable bought specifically for the car.

The car doesn't have the timer thing on the app as it's only the G3h version.

Cheers.

For info, the full charge is typically around 8.5kWh as the battery normally only goes down to 30% (shows as empty on the display). Actual usage is slightly higher than the 70% as some electric is lost in the process.

Lance said:
For info, the full charge is typically around 8.5kWh as the battery normally only goes down to 30% (shows as empty on the display). Actual usage is slightly higher than the 70% as some electric is lost in the process.

I think a full charge is 10kWh, the PHEV actually has a 12kWh capacity battery and keeps 20% in reserve when 'flat'.

The 30% 'flat' I gave was based on a) what I've read previously on this forum and b) what I see from Polar chargepoints I use several times a week, typically arriving on empty (they show use in the region of 8.5kWh which ties in with 30%).

I'm normally recharging twice a day half batteries and pay around 50p a time at home - if I'm empty and return on petrol it costs about 90p

I pay 10p/kW and have set mmc to monitor costs

My electric charges each month to date are -

September 2016 £13 (purchased mid month)
October £29
November £26
December £24
January 2017 £30
February £16 (touring holiday)
March £27
April £28

This is still cheaper than previous diesel vehicles after petrol costs added from fuelly

A very similar pattern for me:
Dec-15 £3.72
Jan-16 £19.25
Feb-16 £20.53
Mar-16 £28.00
Apr-16 £14.00
May-16 £24.42
Jun-16 £16.10
Jul-16 £12.04
Aug-16 £11.22
Sep-16 £17.09
Oct-16 £15.47
Nov-16 £19.60
Dec-16 £15.34
Jan-17 £19.09
Feb-17 £12.95
Mar-17 £16.15
Apr-17 £19.67

Around 10,500 miles covered in that time - petrol mpg 89.44; 'combined' mpg 58.10 (equating 10 kWh to 1 litre of petrol, both costing a bit more than £1). And that's over pretty hilly terrain, it should be possible to do better if you live somewhere nice and flat.

My fuelling costs are cut dramatically as previously I was paying for petrol out of my account, but the household electricity comes out of a joint account with my wife , so I only pay half of it :D

ThudnBlundr said:
We're on the EDF EV tariff: 8p per unit from 9pm to 7am weekdays and all day weekends. With a Zoe as well, the 4-hour window didn't work for us.

Sounds very much like my EDF 20:20 tariff. Does it shift by an hour during BST?

Actually that's what I meant :lol: but thanks for the info, I've done the maths and its about 20% cheaper than my 20:20 (although gas works out the same) saving me £400, so I've switched. Lets hope they don't shaft us after the year is up - May 21 for me. :D

Back