WiFi Range Extender

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omendes

Having just bought a three year old GX4HS I was surprised at many aspects of the car, most good, but needed to be within spitting distance of the car to get my iPhone to connect to the cars WiFi to get a connection for the app to work.

I read somewhere a Belkin N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender worked for another Outlander owner, I tried other extenders and failed.

I can confirm £15 from Argos was well spent. Extender is plugged in 3m from the car and I can now communicate from a respectable distance.

Great tip, thanks. I am tempted to do that too, as I have to stand in the window overlooking the car for a connection at the moment.

Steve

Omendes - thanks for posting this :cool:

I've been struggling to connect from house to garage so on your suggestion bought one of these this morning and now able to connect from comfort of armchair in lounge :mrgreen:

Happy New Year folks :D

Having a connection that I can use, all be it in only the one wing of the house I thought I'd try another repeater to see if I could get a connection a little further.

I set the repeater in the study, which is halfway through the house and I can now connect to the car from the whole property.

To do list will now include to improve the signal from the cars Wi-Fi transmitter.

If anyone has been down this route I'd love any input.

+1 for the Belkin N300 range extender. Really easy to set up and works perfectly. For £15 from Argos (for once, cheaper than Amazon), a bargain.

Has anyone tried adding the car wifi to your home network? It is a pain to flip back and forth between internet access and car access. I'm thinking of either making the wifi ssid's match, or using a router to add the car's wifi subnet as a routed subnet. Problem is - will the car learn/use the default route? Might have to use NAT?

Would also be nice to add the wifi iOBD2 adapter as another routed subnet.

I'm testing out one of those small mobile wifi routers - hoping it can tie all these separate wifi networks together plus add Internet access from nearby xfinitywifi access points, tied to the home network over a vpn. In progress.

N6IO said:
Has anyone tried adding the car wifi to your home network? It is a pain to flip back and forth between internet access and car access. I'm thinking of either making the wifi ssid's match, or using a router to add the car's wifi subnet as a routed subnet. Problem is - will the car learn/use the default route? Might have to use NAT?

Would also be nice to add the wifi iOBD2 adapter as another routed subnet.

I'm testing out one of those small mobile wifi routers - hoping it can tie all these separate wifi networks together plus add Internet access from nearby xfinitywifi access points, tied to the home network over a vpn. In progress.

I found it easier to just leave an Android phone in the car that can be remotely controlled from anywhere.

I found it easier to just leave an Android phone in the car that can be remotely controlled from anywhere.[/quote]

Can you explain what you did for that to work?

Serenity said:
So one would need a phone plan for this spare phone?

That'll probably cost at least $10/month, right?

Yes, the phone will need some kind of data plan. T-Mobile used to give 200MB of data a month for free. Not sure if that’s still offered.

I purchased a Netgear N300 range extender (Model EX2700). All the steps seem to go great except it never connects to the Outlander wifi to extend it. I've tried it with the same SSID and a different one. I've tried with different passwords and the same. I just keep going through the same loop over and over with it never connecting to the Outlander. Does it need to be registered like a smartphone with the lock/unlock sequence on the fob? Because I tried that too to no avail. Any advice?

Thanks.

SullyPHEV said:
I purchased a Netgear N300 range extender (Model EX2700). All the steps seem to go great except it never connects to the Outlander wifi to extend it. I've tried it with the same SSID and a different one. I've tried with different passwords and the same. I just keep going through the same loop over and over with it never connecting to the Outlander. Does it need to be registered like a smartphone with the lock/unlock sequence on the fob? Because I tried that too to no avail. Any advice?

Thanks.

I have this range extender and I also can't use it with the Outlander.

Netgear N300 EX2700 does not work for my outlander PHEV either. I even tried static IP/DNS settings etc. It just won't connect.

Also tried a repurposed ASUS RT-N10 with DD-WRT and that would not connect.

I am successfully (with a twist) using a repurposed ASUS RT-AC68R in extender mode with standard ASUS firmware. Good strong repeated signal on both 2.4G and 5G.

As mentioned in other posts, the Outlander PHEV II App will not connect to anything other than the car SSID, so the repeater 2.4 and 5G are set to the car SSID.

Now the twist: When i drive away and come back, the ASUS AC68R does not reconnect without a power cycle! So automated that with a motion detector, power off/wait a minute/power back on whenever car motion is detected.

Is anyone else having reconnect issues with any other extender?

Also, I would like to reuse my AC68 as a router so is the Belkin N300 really rock solid?

Wish Mitsubishi would fix this and allow the car to connect to a home WiFi network...

Would this work?
https://www.tindie.com/products/kortex_am/kortex-xtend-lite-v100/
Set up in the car, connected to a powerbank that is connected to a usb-charger ?
(the link on charger is not mine)

Just wanted to add that the TP Link N300 range extender also does not work. It was on sale for under $20 so I thought I would give it a try.

Pairing and extending the network was fine but the PHEV app would not connect to the car.

Just wanted to add that the following range extender also does not work:

- Netgear EX2700 (just wanted to confirm what others has already stated)
- D-Link DAP-1530 (AC-750)

However, the D-Link DAP-1325 (N300) seem to work. Not even need to have the same SSID as the car for the extended Wifi (at least on IOS with version 2.1.2 of the app).

Just hopping to help...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am trying to extend the wifi range but Belkin N300 are no longer availiable.

I have tried a Tp link WA854RE but even though the ssid, password all match and it is extending the cars signal but the app cannot communicate.

Does any know of a ranger extender that does work that is for sale now? Of how I might solve the problem on this one. I was wondering if it is to do with MAC addesses?

For those who have achieved this did you have to deregister your device and then register it again while connected to the extender?

Back