The dog friendliest car?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

With the heat wave here at the moment there are regular news stories of the police having to break into cars to rescue dogs left to cook in cars with no windows open even by stupid owners.

Occurred to me the PHEV is probably the most dog friendly car, as long as you have a decent level of charge you can use the app to set the aircon to keep going for up to half an hour. The aircon doesn't seem to be too bad on power usage.

So you could leave animals in comfort for up to half an hour. (with the alarm switched off of course) but then it occurred to me that some concerned person might come along and see them in a car with no windows open and no engine running and assume they are in trouble, the police would then break in... only to find the dogs basking in lovely coolness. You would need to leave a sign'' "Dogs fine, electric car, aircon is still running" on the window.

Just some thoughts.

About 10 times in the last 2 years at our local cafes/lunch spots we have put the dog into the car when it's too hot. Instead of using the app (which uses max AC/heat) I just leave the car running with AC on (recirc) and use the key to lock the door. Put the key/FOB in your pocket, the car beeps a couple of times when you walk away but that's it. Car will run for many hours just on battery if you have a decent charge.

BobEngineer said:
With the heat wave here at the moment there are regular news stories of the police having to break into cars to rescue dogs left to cook in cars with no windows open even by stupid owners.

Occurred to me the PHEV is probably the most dog friendly car, as long as you have a decent level of charge you can use the app to set the aircon to keep going for up to half an hour. The aircon doesn't seem to be too bad on power usage.

So you could leave animals in comfort for up to half an hour. (with the alarm switched off of course) but then it occurred to me that some concerned person might come along and see them in a car with no windows open and no engine running and assume they are in trouble, the police would then break in... only to find the dogs basking in lovely coolness. You would need to leave a sign'' "Dogs fine, electric car, aircon is still running" on the window.

Just some thoughts.
It is quite audible that the aircon is running, I would assume that the police would see that as a reason not to break your window.

jaapv said:
BobEngineer said:

Just some thoughts.
It is quite audible that the aircon is running, I would assume that the police would see that as a reason not to break your window.

Its surprisingly quiet on mine. Some ICE cars have engine cooling that runs after the engine stops until the engine has cooled enough. I suspect the Police would assume the noise was this rather than the aircon still running which would be 'unlikely'.

There is a photo of a PHEV doing the rounds on Facebook for the owners leaving the dogs in it (Wadebridge Area), there is no discussion on whether the vehicle may be able to keep its aircon on, just the usual comments about 'smashing the windows' and 'calling the police' so despite the ability to leave the dogs with running aircon by either the timer or leaving the engine running, the locals with the flaming pitchforks would not be listening to rational conversation about the merits of the Mitsi.

Incidentally with the temperatures well over 30 degrees in my drive (indicated 55 on the clock thermometer on the wall) I ran the timed aircon for 20 minutes and it sounded like the engine had started with a loud whining sound so there is no chance it couldn't be heard in normal life...but on Facebook Judge and Jury are just a couple of key presses away...Not worth it IMHO.

I was thinking the exact same points. I don’t have a dog but would def put a notice on. Though To smash the window, the dog is supposed to appear distressed. I would park in the shade too if at all possible. Of course your windows would be closed too! I’ve been using pre-cool every day lately - used it 5 times on Friday!
H

I don't normally write in this forum, but I had to say something as I love my dogs! To be honest, I wouldn't leave a dog in the car at all - period. Definitely not in this heat (in uk, hitting 28c-ish). All it takes upto 15 mins suffering from brain damage and heat strokes resulting death. it just not worth it in my opinion.

Phevy said:
I agree; if the dog cannot go where you're going, then you should not bring it along.
Plain and simple.
And leave it at home to burst its bladder? Sometimes it cannot be avoided...

jaapv said:
Phevy said:
I agree; if the dog cannot go where you're going, then you should not bring it along.
Plain and simple.

really? you can actually burst a bladder? I thought it was a "saying", but to actually medically burst a bladder I've not heard of before! I would imagine a dog would just wee if desperate! Anyway, I believe a dog (juvenile to adult) can last 4 hours between wee trips. any younger or older requires less timing. Having a dog does mean having to change your habits a little, for example, take the dog with you if you can, or have someone to come and let them out for a wee occasionally, or (if desperate) leave it out in a well secured backyard or something. I think having leather seats doesn't help dogs because they sweat/cool through their paws.

Well personally I'd prefer it if nobody had a dog in the first place (then the rest of us wouldn't have to listen to the bloody pointless things yapping incessantly day and night). But if I did find myself in the unfortunate position of being responsible for one I'm not sure I'd entirely trust the air conditioning in my PHEV. It's already gone wrong twice and is again not currently working properly. Has the symptoms of running low on gas (again). Had it leak checked last year when it had lost 411 grammes of gas in three years (total capacity appears to be 600g), but no leakage was detected. Now the air con symbol is flashing again. So time for another leak check an the resulting cost.

tweedie said:
jaapv said:
Phevy said:
Plain and simple.

really? you can actually burst a bladder? I thought it was a "saying", but to actually medically burst a bladder I've not heard of before! I would imagine a dog would just wee if desperate! Anyway, I believe a dog (juvenile to adult) can last 4 hours between wee trips. any younger or older requires less timing. Having a dog does mean having to change your habits a little, for example, take the dog with you if you can, or have someone to come and let them out for a wee occasionally, or (if desperate) leave it out in a well secured backyard or something. I think having leather seats doesn't help dogs because they sweat/cool through their paws.
My dogs are in a bench in the back. There is such a thing as safety and an unsecured dog is not a good idea in a collision.

Back