Parking Brake Mechanism UK Recall...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAFETY RECALL BULLETIN SR−18−002
PARKING BRAKE CORROSION − SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/22994/RCRIT-18V070-8039.pdf

Just been reading through US Safety Recall Bulletin SR-18-002REV (Google it - a pdf that can be downloaded). So if the mechanism is not too rusted does that mean that if the entire caliper is not replaced that the replacement handbrake mechanism lever is a modified item (or possibly, as far as I can make out an additional O-ring might be used) and that therefore the problem won't re-occur? As far as the 2mm 'correct operation check' of the lever is concerned mine appear to be working perfectly well at the moment as A) my PHEV has only done 16,000 miles and B) I've frequently cleaned the calipers, squirted silicone spray on the moving parts of the handbrake and smeared silicone grease around the rubber handbake mechanism seals.

So I'm betting I won't be getting new calipers, more likely just the adjusters. Although as the recall notice says it'll take around 2 -hours I'd be surprised if each mechanism could be removed, cleaned-up and replaced within 2 hours.

I don't know if the UK procedure is likely to be the same as the US though, You'd have thought it would be. According to the bulletin SR-18-002REV (dated April 2018) it supersedes bulletin SR-18-002.

Hi, does this recall affect all years do we know or only older models? I guess they would start with the older vehicles and work up to the more recent ones anyway.

I don't think it's all models. The US recall bulletin states 'certain 2014-2016 Outlander and Outlander Sport vehicles built between April 2013 and July 2016' . The SR-18-002REV recall bulletin is however a US recall not the UK version, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this. I don't know if all US Outlanders are PHEVs or not. The US Outlander Sport is a smaller SUV and judging by the fuel consumption quoted in their adverts are all petrol only.

And it finally happened! Me of little faith... Two splendid new rear calipers. The one on the passenger side (UK RHD) has a red blob of paint on it and the one on the driver's side has a blue blob of paint on it. Here are some pictures...

Attachments

• caliper1.jpg
    caliper1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 54
  • caliper2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 54
Back