Help!! Advice needed

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harpo

Hi All
Decided to update 2014 Quasqai diesel. Looked at Mitsubishi Eclipse cross (which I liked).
Salesman then asked me about Oulander PHEV, and explained how I could save money on fuel. Took one out for test drive, which impressed both me and o/h. Very close to buying but ran out of time as had to pick up kids.

Last night did a bit of research and now a little worried.

I live approx 22 miles from work. 4 miles to get to Motorway, 16 on motorway and last 2 town driving.
I do this 5 times a week, and average approx 13000 miles per year. I have no facility to to plug in car at work only on an evening at home. Quasqai currently returning avg of 52mpg

I appreciate this may be difficult to answer but based on above would it be economical to buy PHEV, or am I doing too much motorway driving for it to be worth my while, based on the fact that it will only be charged for journey to work.

Thanks for your time, I am new to PHEV, so please be patient

I would say it depends entirely on your style of motorway driving, If you were looking at a petrol SUV I would say the results would be about equal with the small advantage going to the PHEV, but with a Diesel the other way around.
However, with the present political and environmental climate on Diesel cars, you might find one hard to sell in a collapsing market after a number of years.
Personally, unless I were a person doing many tens of thousands of business miles a year, I would not consider Diesel, rather some form of hybrid.

Hi jaapv
Thanks for quick response.
Take you point about resale value in a few years time.

On motorway I tend to stick to 70mph and use cruise control to stay within legal limit. However, again I have read that using cruise control is not most economical use of PHEV ( or am I getting a little paranoid about mpg figures ).

Any advice or tips appreciated

I'm rather relaxed about cruise control; the difference is marginal, especially with ACC, as it does the same as you would do: keep its distance to the car in front.
I don't drive the car for its fuel economy per se (although I like it ;) ), but for the quietness and smoothness.

Harpo said:
Hi All
Decided to update 2014 Quasqai diesel. Looked at Mitsubishi Eclipse cross (which I liked).
Salesman then asked me about Oulander PHEV, and explained how I could save money on fuel. Took one out for test drive, which impressed both me and o/h. Very close to buying but ran out of time as had to pick up kids.

Last night did a bit of research and now a little worried.

I live approx 22 miles from work. 4 miles to get to Motorway, 16 on motorway and last 2 town driving.
I do this 5 times a week, and average approx 13000 miles per year. I have no facility to to plug in car at work only on an evening at home. Quasqai currently returning avg of 52mpg

I appreciate this may be difficult to answer but based on above would it be economical to buy PHEV, or am I doing too much motorway driving for it to be worth my while, based on the fact that it will only be charged for journey to work.

Thanks for your time, I am new to PHEV, so please be patient

My guess ... is that 22 of the 44 daily miles could be done in EV mode (I mean with the energy loaded from the home charge in the night)

The other 22 miles .. should be done with around 40mpg

So ... they daily trip it will be be done with a total around 80mpg .. but with an extra daily cost of 9kwh
If you can get "free electric charging" at work ... then you probably can do the daily drive in pure EV mode.

PS: The latest MY2019 Outlander, should have a bigger battery ... so it should have 10% extra EV range compared to the Outlander PHEV we are used to discuss here.

That driving profile is similar to my son's boarding school drop-off/pick up.
You should drive to the motorway, engage "save" then disengage it as you come off the motorway outbound.
On the return do the same but disengage it when your range broadly matches distance home.
This will optimise and maximise your electric use and you can experiment with when to switch "save" off.
I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised at the blended mpg which should beat the diesel.
Charging at work would make it virtually all electric.
Also bear in mind that diesels do take a while to warm up and are better for longer trips.

You need to look towards the through life mpg rather than any daily mpgs which frankly, are completely misleading..
We've had our PHEV 3 years now and have not reset the mpg (Manual reset reading) for most of that time and have been showing around 70mpg for ages. We do many local journeys and a seemingly increasing number of longer motorway journeys on 'family duties'!
Drive it as gobiman suggests and you should get at least this figure and probably more if driven steadily and with care. Also maximise your regen around town and around the lanes by using B4/B5.

I would think about whether a full ev might suit you better. Just a thought. I don’t know if you are planning to buy new or 2nd hand but I think you’d struggle do even one way of your commute on ev in winter with mainly motorway. If you have a car each, you could have a full ev and your wife a phev if maybe she is closer to home or ferrying kids - this works well for us.
H

Back