Door locks and hot weather

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was interested to read a comment on another topic from Mitsyphev.
"While the work was being done two recalls were also dealt with. The first was the ECU relay and the second was to do with door locks. I did a search on the web and found that the lock recall is to do with the operation of the locks in hot weather."

I also had problems with the door locks not working during the great weather we had this year.
I spoke with Mitsubishi UK and they advised me that my vehicle VIN No. wasn't on the recall list for this issue.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Yes I had exactly the same problem and discussion with Mitsubishi. I guess the more VIN's they leave off the list the less it costs them. I wonder how many hundreds or thousands have the same issue but aren't on the list.

Hi. My PHEV is a ‘facelifted’ version with a 65 plate. I’ve never had any obvious problems with locks, though if something is sticking the first you might know about it is when a door flys open whilst the car is in motion. It is odd that your newer vehicles, which have had problems, are not covered by the recall. Maybe they are doing older cars first and will get round to newer cars later - availability of replacement parts?

The information on recalls was at this site:

https://car-recalls.eu/model/Outlander/

Hi Mitsyphev
Interestingly mine is on a 64 plate, so I'm not sure why the recall only starts from 2015 models.

That said, I didn't experience the door not being secure, only the fact that the button on the door handle wouldn't work, which was annoying at times as my keys are usually kept in my rucksack.
Since the weather has got cooler everything works as before.

Hi Somersetstroller.
Yes, sounds like a different issue to that addressed with the recall.
At a guess I think the problem you experienced, during the hot weather, might be due to the keyfob not being detected by the car. The high temperature inside the car might have reduced the gain of the module used to communicate with the keyfob. From my experience of transmitters and receivers, high ambient temperatures will reduce performance if there is no temperature compensation circuit. Also, whilst buried in your rucksack there will probably be increased attenuation of the signals between the keyfob and car.

Hi Mitsyphev

I think you are probably right, and as nobody else has said anything my situation was unique.

Thank you for responding, this forum is a very helpful in checking things out.

Back