Winter tyres 16 vs 18

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobiman

Really interesting video on smaller vs bigger rims for winter tyres which for the PHEV is 16 compared to 18 inch.
Conclusion is that the smaller rims are actually only marginally better in winter. Of much more relevance is the choice of winter tyre. In addition, as we probably knew anyway, they do offer a better ride with more sidewall but less precise handling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQh3IfXac0

That 2nd video is compelling! The problem I face is that I live in the south of the UK. We typically don't see much snow or even ice. I've put rain tyres on my wife's Slk and can't help feeling that's more appropriate for the PHEV too. I wonder if they'd perform any better in the snow

In south-west Netherlands we have more or less the same climate. I find All-Season tyres,like the Michelinn Cross-Climate or Vredenstein Quatrac 5 an ideal choice. They perform nearly as well on snow and ice as full winter tyres, yet are very good in our mini-winters and summer too.

jaapv said:
In south-west Netherlands we have more or less the same climate. I find All-Season tyres,like the Michelinn Cross-Climate or Vredenstein Quatrac 5 an ideal choice. They perform nearly as well on snow and ice as full winter tyres, yet are very good in our mini-winters and summer too.

jaapv, thanks so much for the reply. I may be tempted to put all season tyres on then: I think I've read you (or someone else on here) say previously that you've found the Vredenstein Quatrac 5's very economic also.

I got the Crossclimates and impressed so far.
Costco do Michelin and have £80-100 off for 4 offers a couple of times a year.

VillageIdiotDan said:
I've put rain tyres on my wife's Slk and can't help feeling that's more appropriate for the PHEV too. I wonder if they'd perform any better in the snow

I didn't know that rain tyres even existed! But they do! So how do you know if you're going to need them? I'm guessing it's based on the idea that you'd be more interested in a bias towards safety in wet weather, rather than 'performance' grip and handling in dry weather. It doesn't look as though rain tyres are anything like winter (below 7oC) tyres though. Winter tyres are of a softer compound - not suitable for and slightly dangerous in summer conditions - and if it's snowing, the tread of a winter tyre is designed to collect snow in its treads, as nothing sticks to snow better than snow. Presumably rain tyres are in fact 'summer' tyres and therefore not of a softer compound best suited for below 7oC.

I've often wondered, do all season tyres wear-out quicker than 'summer' tyres? Presumably they must be of a slightly softer compound than pure summer tyres. I've had 'performance' related summer tyres in the past on both cars and motorcycles, and although they give a nice, soft and quiet ride and have plenty of grip, they definitely wear out quicker because of the grippy slightly soft compound from which they are made (especially if you go anywhere near a racetrack).

I have Pirelli Sottozeros fitted to my PHEV for the winter (here's a picture!) and they are much quieter and smoother than the summer Toyo R37s. But then Pirelli is a more expensive 'premium' brand. I bloody love winter tyres and also like talking to anyone who'll listen about just how good, and how much safer, they are. Not everyone is interested (not because I'm in any way a winter tyre 'bore', although I've noticed a glazed look come over people's eyes sometimes - like that of a dead fish or a blind labrador) especially when they find out how much they cost and how complicated it all is with TPMS valves and (preferably) an extra set of wheels to put them on.

I'm still surprised though in wintery conditions at how many £50,000+ SUVs (or even worse RWD BMWs and Mercs) I see sliding about and burning off the treads of their no-doubt expensive summer tyres, because they don't have winter tyres, I mean it's not like they couldn't afford them is it? The cost of fixing one, small ding or scrape in any expensive car these days - never mind any sort of insurance claim - would pay for a set of winter tyres, wheels and TPMS valves too.

Attachments

• pirelliwinter.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 56
I put winter tyres on a car several years ago, and they were a revelation. I was able to drive our FWD MPV over a low snow bank to get a round a car stuck on a hill while ploughing the fresh snow with the front spoiler. I was also able to stop on our shared drive when next door's Range Rover slipped all the way to the bottom with its ABS juddering, just like the video above. But I got tired of changing them back twice a year, as well as the extra cost of extra rims or changing the tyres on the existing rims. So on our next car we got CrossClimates, which seemed subjectively just as good as winter tyres in the deep snow we occasionally have in rural Yorkshire. We've fitted them to all our cars since, including the Zoe in the past week. There may be better all-weather tyres, but they work for us.

The wear is very similar to regular tyres with CrossClimates. They actually use what's effectively a "summer" compound, but with a winter tread pattern. We got 20k miles out of the front set on our 1.5 ton Mazda 5, and the rear set were only 50% worn.

"Tyre Reviews" has done a "Best All-Season Tyres for 2018" video. They explain the difference in design ethos between the various tyres. It looks like we "should" get some more extreme all-season tyres that the CrossClimates living in rural Yorkshire, but they've never let us down yet. https://youtu.be/pe-gkTCOs7E

VillageIdiotDan said:
jaapv said:

jaapv, thanks so much for the reply. I may be tempted to put all season tyres on then: I think I've read you (or someone else on here) say previously that you've found the Vredenstein Quatrac 5's very economic also.
Yes, they are not much more expensive than summer - or winter- tyres. I've had them on for over 15.000 km now (in temperatures up to over 30º) and the tread wear appears to be quite satisfactory.

Interesting comments. I have the Crossclimates on my PHEV but have a separate winter set for my Merc GLC which I take skiing to the Alps a couple of times a season.
Currently have Pirelli Scorpion winters which will last one more season but debating changing to a "winter-bias" all season for year-round use. With the huge success of the Crossclimate, Continental have introduced the "Contactallseason" which looks very interesting.My sense is that the tech in all-season tyres has improved dramatically in the last few years. Another excellent vid from our tyre man below -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-gkTCOs7E&t=566s

Oh god, more choice. I'll see how mine look in January and make a gut call: Contactallseason v vdrednstein 5s v crossclimates. The latter winning in my mind at the mo.

Back