Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suspension
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:58 am 

Having had my 33,000 miles 2014 PHEV for a few weeks now, I am overall very pleased with it
The one outstanding thing that annoys me is the harshness of the suspension.
It is really annoying in urban/ towns/citys , where every pot-hole/ drain cover etc... is annoyingly harsh, as if there is really no suspension, like a go-cart.
So, my question is, is there any aftermarket suspension firms that produce an alternative suspension ? Has anyone gone down this route for a better ( less harsh) ride.
I have double checked the tyres ( Toyo r37's ) and they have all got 5mm plus of tread left, and are all at 35 psi.( as recommended )
Thanks
Mick.

Post subject: Re: Suspension
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm 

Well, the last suspension thread complained about the softness, so I guess Mitsubishi got it about right... You can’t please everybody all the time. In your case I would blame the Toyos. Those are not very impressive. Get decent A brand tyres.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:44 pm 

jaapv wrote:
Well, the last suspension thread complained about the softness, so I guess Mitsubishi got it about right... You can’t please everybody all the time. In your case I would blame the Toyos. Those are not very impressive. Get decent A brand tyres.

Yes jaapv, i have already decided to replace the Toyos with Michelin Crossclimates when they wear down a bit more.
I was just wondering if anyone had fitted any other make of struts / springs, with noticeable improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm 

Having driven a Morgan as primary car for twenty years and my summer car now being a TR4 I am the wrong person to judge suspension hardness Everything feels as soft as Madonna’s bottom... However I would say it is about par for a medium size SUV.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 pm 

jaapv wrote:
Having driven a Morgan as primary car for twenty years and my summer car now being a TR4 I am the wrong person to judge suspension hardness Everything feels as soft as Madonna’s bottom... However I would say it is about par for a medium size SUV.

Hopefully someone will comment on how they improved the ride by fitting.... " x , y or z " suspension.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm 

It is a two thousand kg car. It may well be that softer springs would make it feel soggy and impair handling.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:48 am 

jaapv wrote:
It is a two thousand kg car. It may well be that softer springs would make it feel soggy and impair handling.

I think this particularly valid. I previously had several estate cars because they would have stiffer suspension to cope with extra weight over the equivalent saloon model and handled better IMHO. There was a very noticeable difference in handling with the original Mondeo. The saloon suffered badly in cross winds whilst the estate was unaffected. :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:27 am 

mick1049 wrote:
Having had my 33,000 miles 2014 PHEV for a few weeks now, I am overall very pleased with it
The one outstanding thing that annoys me is the harshness of the suspension.
It is really annoying in urban/ towns/citys , where every pot-hole/ drain cover etc... is annoyingly harsh, as if there is really no suspension, like a go-cart.
So, my question is, is there any aftermarket suspension firms that produce an alternative suspension ? Has anyone gone down this route for a better ( less harsh) ride.
I have double checked the tyres ( Toyo r37's ) and they have all got 5mm plus of tread left, and are all at 35 psi.( as recommended )
Thanks
Mick.

I have a 2014 and yes the suspension is substantially below average in my opinion too. I do find it OK at very low speed, bad across most the mid range, and if you drive at a constant 90mph it smooths out fantastically but that is no use to anyone (in the UK).

My wife got a new Hyundai Tucson and it is a considerably more comfortable ride without much roll. I just think its an area of design Mitsubishi don't have much skill at (Try driving a courtesy car Mitsubishi Mirage and you will think they have no skill at all, really scary!) but then they are more used to making hard rally cars and builders pickups.

And in answer to the question, sorry I have never heard of one being upgraded, I would think managing the weight would put many suppliers off attempting it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:33 am 

mick1049 wrote:
jaapv wrote:

Hopefully someone will comment on how they improved the ride by fitting.... " x , y or z " suspension.

I'm actually looking forward to comments about "Madonna’s bottom" and how jaapy knows :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:06 pm 

Chuck a couple of bags of cement in the back. That will make it smoother.