Heater fail

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjsp

The heating in my beloved 2014 64 plate GX4H has failed. Cold cold cold, even after ICE running for a long period.

Is this a common problem? Any advice much appreciated.

Not sure if my car has the electric heaters (was it just the later GX4H that came with it as standard?). In the past if I crank up to 29C it would fire the engine up whatever the ambient temp is and get warm after a few minutes. Now, it doesn't even bother to fire up the engine.

Could it just be a thermostat thing where thinks the cabin temp is hot? I couldn't find the reading of the cabin temp anywhere. After finding another post on heater problems, I will check the coolant level in the morning, hopefully not a leak there...

Yeah I read all of that one (which is what lead me to check coolant).

I was wrong, it does turn the engine on, it just gives up after a while (similar to if the heating had been on), but obviously without having done any heating.

Coolant actually looks empty but maybe I just can't see it properly through the white plastic (wouldn't it alert me to it being low on coolant?!). I'm not wised up with car heating systems so I've bitten the bullet and booked it into Mistu, who want £140+VAT alone just for the inspection (gasp!). Needs must...

I've got a 64 Gx3h - no electric heater but yours does have. So 2 possible problems. Loss of all heat normally means loss of coolant in an ICE car (lucky you have the battery to drive it then!) OR you have a problem with the electric heater, which is why ICE stops because it thinks you don't. Either way its probably £140 well spent.

I had a coolant leak in the summer and the "reserve" (as mentioned in the manual) coolant tank was slightly below the minimum level on the white plastic tank, the coolant was blue in colour so you could see the level. I had no warning light showing the coolant level was low and more surprisingly no warning light (Mitsubishi Assistance would not come out when I phoned them because no warning light) when the heater pump had packed up.

Perhaps there is a potential fault with the reserve coolant tank not linked to the warning lights because its not critical to the driving of the car BUT YOU CAN'T DRIVE A CAR THAT KEEPS FREEZING OR STEAMING UP BECAUSE THERE IS NO HEATING.

Back